Cornish Chris
Hitch
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
X Isle

X Isle

Sheridan out? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheridan out?   Sheridan out? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 5:54 pm

We disagree on Hourihane, I get that, "you say cheap as chips, I say better than nowt, let's call the whole thing off", it's been covered already.

He last played for Argyle in May though, so it's a complete red herring when talking about the manager and how his team has tailed off in the last month or two from a position of confidence and strength.
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan out?   Sheridan out? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 6:02 pm

sufferedsince 68 wrote:
X Isle wrote:
Never said that, unless by "masterstroke" you mean Hobson's choice. But hey, when did accurate representation get in the way of anything Laughing

Opinions differ, as EJH says, the players bought this summer were better than the one's who left. Many have experience of getting out of this league and/or higher league experience. We should be better, and we were early on, this was the team that swept aside Pompey and City.

I know it goes against the agenda to point blame somewhere other than the owners door but what's gone wrong with the team these last few weeks can only be the players fault or the managers fault.....and you can't sack a whole squad of players.

Two short term loans left, this unsettled the squad, sheridan was forced to sign short term loans the remaining players demotivated by the clubs lack of ambition, the blame for the predictable slump is more Brents fault than Sherridans.I know you cant be to critical of Brent, nool will be watching.

Deary me, still casting that line eh? fishing

Sorry to disappoint. I normally credit people with more intelligence, but when the hook, the line and the sinker are that visible, no-one's ever going to bite Wink

It's a thread about Sheridan, has no-one got anything to contribute but the same old agenda laden stuck records?
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan out?   Sheridan out? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 6:09 pm

John Sheridan?,

(he's Argyle's manager BTW),

Performance merits or otherwise?,

Continuance of employment or nay?

..............anything?

Is it really just too much to ask?
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan out?   Sheridan out? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 6:23 pm

X Isle wrote:
Cornish Chris wrote:
This is the best Argyle side for years, and the best we could manage was a brief pre-Christmas flirt with the top five.

Yep, the ingredients should be good enough given their experience, time to try a new chef.

The ingredients aren't there and never have been, a bit of research on the goalscoring records of the midfield players on the books will tell you that. The only hope that Argyle had of doing anything this season was to keep that tight defence and keep lots of clean sheets because there was never enough firepower in the team to do it the high scoring way-the clean sheets have disappeared with the absence of Hartley and O'Connor from the team, which shows how thin the squad really was. Just look on the stats of those players on wiki Smiffy, they tell their own tale-you just cannot rely on Reid and Alessandra to score all of your goals, even if they scored 20 apiece. That was the only mildly encouraging aspect of today, the fact that two other players got on the score sheet but it was definitely crumbs from the masters table. To be fair, the manager has raised expectations with his public comments, so maybe his chickens are coming home to roost now, although I guess he would have been accused of being unduly negative had he said anything else. The sale of Hourihane? As one who has seen Argyle sell their best talent for 50 years now and almost without exception fail to replace it adequately, it comes as no surprise to me that the current scenario has come around again but you'll never learn the simple equation that exit of good players =worse results, so I won't go any further. Suffice to say it wasn't Hobson's choice, it was Brent's choice-looks to me as if we should be prepared for a long stay in this division, if we're lucky.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan out?   Sheridan out? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 6:28 pm

To score you have to have the confidence to shoot.

Do you think Sheridan installs that in his players? I don't. They always want to pass too much rather than take someone on or have a go on goal.
Back to top Go down
Hitch

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan out?   Sheridan out? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 6:29 pm

Greenskin wrote:
X Isle wrote:
Cornish Chris wrote:
This is the best Argyle side for years, and the best we could manage was a brief pre-Christmas flirt with the top five.

Yep, the ingredients should be good enough given their experience, time to try a new chef.

The ingredients aren't there and never have been, a bit of research on the goalscoring records of the midfield players on the books will tell you that. The only hope that Argyle had of doing anything this season was to keep that tight defence and keep lots of clean sheets because there was never enough firepower in the team to do it the high scoring way-the clean sheets have disappeared with the absence of Hartley and O'Connor from the team, which shows how thin the squad really was. Just look on the stats of those players on wiki Smiffy, they tell their own tale-you just cannot rely on Reid and Alessandra to score all of your goals, even if they scored 20 apiece. That was the only mildly encouraging aspect of today, the fact that two other players got on the score sheet but it was definitely crumbs from the masters table. To be fair, the manager has raised expectations with his public comments, so maybe his chickens are coming home to roost now, although I guess he would have been accused of being unduly negative had he said anything else. The sale of Hourihane? As one who has seen Argyle sell their best talent for 50 years now and almost without exception fail to replace it adequately, it comes as no surprise to me that the current scenario has come around again but you'll never learn the simple equation that exit of good players =worse results, so I won't go any further. Suffice to say it wasn't Hobson's choice, it was Brent's choice-looks to me as if we should be prepared for a long stay in this division, if we're lucky.

Top Notch Tonto
Back to top Go down
green_genie

green_genie

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan out?   Sheridan out? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 6:43 pm

Why out? On par for the budget.

Where's the money going?
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan out?   Sheridan out? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 6:50 pm

Josh Pope wrote:

Do you think Sheridan installs that in his players? I don't. They always want to pass too much rather than take someone on or have a go on goal.

As I said in the previous post, just take a look at the career goal scoring records of the midfield players who have taken the field for Argyle this season [and defenders come to that] and ask yourself if other managers were able to "instil confidence" into those players. You can't get shit from a rocking horse.
Back to top Go down
MannameadGreen

MannameadGreen

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan out?   Sheridan out? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 7:28 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:

As I said in the previous post, just take a look at the career goal scoring records of the midfield players who have taken the field for Argyle this season [and defenders come to that] and ask yourself if other managers were able to "instil confidence" into those players. You can't get shit from a rocking horse.
Goalscoring from midfield is so much dependent on circumstances and the manager in charge.

Luke Young's hugely improved his goalscoring since he left us. Conor Hourihane, while not a poor goalscoring midfielder per se last season, has scored bags in the division above this term.

With a more adventurous coach in charge, we might see a few more goals coming from midfield.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan out?   Sheridan out? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 7:43 pm

MannameadGreen wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:

Goalscoring from midfield is so much dependent on circumstances and the manager in charge.

Luke Young's hugely improved his goalscoring since he left us. Conor Hourihane, while not a poor goalscoring midfielder per se last season, has scored bags in the division above this term.

With a more adventurous coach in charge, we might see a few more goals coming from midfield.

No it isn't, it's entirely dependent on the strengths and weaknesses of the players concerned. Are you seriously suggesting that Blizzard, Cox, O'Connor et al will ever contribute more than a couple of goals per season each if you're lucky? If so, you must be watching different players to the ones that I'm watching-why are their records at other clubs so poor in the scoring department? Sheridan's team scored 85 goals when winning this division 3 years ago and his teams at Oldham were reasonably free scoring at a higher level, so he obviously hasn't always been an unadventurous manager. Makes you wonder, dunnit.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan out?   Sheridan out? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 8:48 pm

ejh wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:
I think the good run before Christmas covered up the fact that the team and squad has not been significantly improved from last season.

I disagree entirely. I think our squad is a damn lot better in terms of quality. That is why I am looking at Sheridan for answers as to why we are currently doing worse that 12 months ago and going in the opposite direction (I.e. on a screaming charge for the relegation zone instead of the playoffs).

O'Connor being recalled - is that all we can point to? Jesus wept.
This does it nicely for me.

All the explanations are clutching at straws. The guy has quite simply lost the plot.

Yes it was stupid and poor business to sell Hourihane. It was a short sighted, cheap as chips sale that I criticised then and I criticised now. It's was a maddening, borderline indefensible decision. But at the time time.......Wycombe have sold two players this transfer window so far and they've done ok since PCH and the other fellow (to Barnsley funnily enough) both buggered off.

It seems to be only Sheridan that needs an owner to indulge him with riches and every player he demands in order to do well in this shitty league. The squad is better, Wycombe, Newport, Exeter, Burton, Stevenage are all doing it on far more of a shoestring than we are and they're above us. Time to get a grip and sack the manager. Brent's big mistake with Sheridan isn't not backing him....it's not sacking him.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan out?   Sheridan out? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 8:54 pm

GreenSam wrote:
ejh wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:
I think the good run before Christmas covered up the fact that the team and squad has not been significantly improved from last season.

I disagree entirely. I think our squad is a damn lot better in terms of quality. That is why I am looking at Sheridan for answers as to why we are currently doing worse that 12 months ago and going in the opposite direction (I.e. on a screaming charge for the relegation zone instead of the playoffs).

All the explanations are clutching at straws. The guy has quite simply lost the plot.

Yes it was stupid and poor business to sell Hourihane. It was a short sighted, cheap as chips sale that I criticised then and I criticised now. It's was a maddening, borderline indefensible decision. But at the time time.......Wycombe have sold two players this transfer window so far and they've done ok since PCH and the other fellow (to Barnsley funnily enough) both buggered off.

It seems to be only Sheridan that needs an owner to indulge him with riches and every player he demands in order to do well in this shitty league. The squad is better, Wycombe, Newport, Exeter, Burton, Stevenage are all doing it on far more of a shoestring than we are and they're above us. Time to get a grip and sack the manager. Brent's big mistake with Sheridan isn't not backing him....it's not sacking him.

How do you know, given that there are at least 6,possibly 8,clubs with a bigger budget than Argyle, that some of those clubs aren't among them?
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan out?   Sheridan out? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 8:58 pm

GreenSam wrote:
ejh wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:

Yes it was stupid and poor business to sell Hourihane. Wycombe have sold two players this transfer window so far and they've done ok since PCH and the other fellow (to Barnsley funnily enough) both buggered off.

It seems to be only Sheridan that needs an owner to indulge him with riches to do well in this shitty league. The squad is better, Wycombe, Newport, Exeter, Burton, Stevenage are all doing it on far more of a shoestring than we are and they're above us. Time to get a grip and sack the manager. Brent's big mistake with Sheridan isn't not backing him....it's not sacking him.
Utter bollocks, how do you expect to attract decent players to plymouth with all it entails  when we have the ninth best budget in a league full of small town clubs? its total aviva nonsence to claim Brent is giving sheridan the right backing.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan out?   Sheridan out? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 8:58 pm

Greenskin wrote:
GreenSam wrote:
ejh wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:

How do you know, given that there are at least 6,possibly 8,clubs with a bigger budget than Argyle, that some of those clubs aren't among them?
Because just look at who those teams have signed, the kind of squad they have and what kind of system they're operating with. It's tinpot central. I would estimate the teams operating on a higher budget than us are.

Certainly:
-Bury
-Shrewsbury
-Pompey
Quite possibly/probably:
-Luton
-Southend
-Northampton
-Oxford

Also think it's worth pointing out that the 7th to 9th thing and another source from PAFC was quoted as saying 5th best but if we assume that 7th-9th from the horses mouth turns out to be the truth then I'd bet my right arm that those are most if not all of the clubs. It's clear from squad size and calibre of players who they attract.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan out?   Sheridan out? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 9:03 pm

sufferedsince 68 wrote:
GreenSam wrote:
ejh wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:

Yes it was stupid and poor business to sell Hourihane. Wycombe have sold two players this transfer window so far and they've done ok since PCH and the other fellow (to Barnsley funnily enough) both buggered off.

It seems to be only Sheridan that needs an owner to indulge him with riches to do well in this shitty league. The squad is better, Wycombe, Newport, Exeter, Burton, Stevenage are all doing it on far more of a shoestring than we are and they're above us. Time to get a grip and sack the manager. Brent's big mistake with Sheridan isn't not backing him....it's not sacking him.
Utter bollocks, how do you expect to attract decent players to plymouth with all it entails  when we have the ninth best budget in a league full of small town clubs? its total aviva nonsence to claim Brent is giving sheridan the right backing.
When you have seen us play this season, what are your thoughts on our players and the way in which they have played compared to the games you saw last season with the players that are no longer here? Why do you think that our squad this season isn't good enough? Do you think that Hartley and McHugh are worse than Trotman and Blanchard? Or is it that you think Wotton was a better option for us than Cox?

As an old saying goes, an ideologue tries to make the facts fit his pre-existing belief. A truly independent thinker bases his beliefs on the facts that he can discern and stands for the opinion that he genuinely holds even if it means standing in the minority. No matter how much I get slated for it, pilloried for it, called a pasoti-emissary or a Brentite or a red under the bed or whatever, I genuinely stand by my viewpoint. If all those small clubs with their minuscule budgets are capable of doing better then why can't we with our budget that is at the very least contentious.

The see no evil, militant-Brentophiles on pasoti call me a Brown Tint or a neggytroll. The Sheridan-loyalist, militant-Brentophobes on here call me a Green Tint or an Aviva. The actual fact is that I come to my own opinion on something no matter what and I'll call out something i disagree with wherever I see it.
Back to top Go down
MannameadGreen

MannameadGreen

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan out?   Sheridan out? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 9:06 pm

Greenskin wrote:
MannameadGreen wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:

No it isn't, it's entirely dependent on the strengths and weaknesses of the players concerned. Are you seriously suggesting that Blizzard, Cox, O'Connor et al will ever contribute more than a couple of goals per season each if you're lucky? If so, you must be watching different players to the ones that I'm watching-why are their records at other clubs so poor in the scoring department? Sheridan's team scored 85 goals when winning this division 3 years ago and his teams at Oldham were reasonably free scoring at a higher level, so he obviously hasn't always been an unadventurous manager. Makes you wonder, dunnit.
Bobby Reid could, Blizzard could chip in with four or so too.

You don't need multiple ten goal a season midfielders, anyway.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan out?   Sheridan out? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 9:06 pm

GreenSam wrote:
sufferedsince 68 wrote:
GreenSam wrote:
ejh wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:

When you have seen us play this season, what are your thoughts on our players and the way in which they have played compared to the games you saw last season with the players that are no longer here? Why do you think that our squad this season isn't good enough? Do you think that Hartley and McHugh are worse than Trotman and Blanchard? Or is it that you think Wotton was a better option for us than Cox?

As an old saying goes, an ideologue tries to make the facts fit his pre-existing belief. A truly independent thinker bases his beliefs on the facts that he can discern and stands for the opinion that he genuinely holds even if it means standing in the minority. No matter how much I get slated for it, pilloried for it, called a pasoti-emissary or a Brentite or a red under the bed or whatever, I genuinely stand by my viewpoint. If all those small clubs with their minuscule budgets are capable of doing better then why can't we with our budget that is at the very least contentious.

The see no evil, militant-Brentophiles on pasoti call me a Brown Tint or a neggytroll. The Sheridan-loyalist, militant-Brentophobes on here call me a Green Tint or an Aviva. The actual fact is that I come to my own opinion on something no matter what and I'll call out something i disagree with wherever I see it.

In the name of Aviva laugh
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan out?   Sheridan out? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 9:12 pm

Sheridan can spot decent players, but because he dosen't get a genuine promotion chasing budget he cant bring good players down here on a permenant basis, therefore he's forced to go down the short term loan route. until there's a commited decent owner, Argyle will remain midtable crap.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan out?   Sheridan out? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 9:14 pm

sufferedsince 68 wrote:
Sheridan can spot decent players, but because he dosen't get a genuine promotion chasing budget he cant bring good players down here on a permenant basis, therefore he's forced to go down the short term loan route. until there's a commited decent owner, Argyle will remain midtable crap.

Sure, that's why we tried to !!!!!!!BUY!!!!!!!!! O'Connor then?
Back to top Go down
Hitch

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan out?   Sheridan out? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 9:19 pm

GreenSam wrote:
sufferedsince 68 wrote:
GreenSam wrote:
ejh wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:

Because Plymouth is a footballing backwater that doesn't attract the better quality players unless there is a premium in salary which is only possible in the higher divisions or with an ambitious board. The club itself is owned and chaired by the most uninspiring grisly streak of piss in its history and that is saying something. In the absence of an ambitious and enthused walleted owner and board I guess the club could try and persuade a more motivational and celebrated character to manage the club - but who - and would it make a difference to compensate for Sheridan's severance pay?
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan out?   Sheridan out? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 9:21 pm

Josh Pope wrote:
sufferedsince 68 wrote:

Ok then Sherlock, how much did we offer? Did he join? its the same old same old, no good player with the exception on Roobs has joined Argyle since Brent"saved" the club.Luke Mccormick joined in entirely different circumstances.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan out?   Sheridan out? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 9:26 pm

MannameadGreen wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
MannameadGreen wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:

Bobby Reid could, Blizzard could chip in with four or so too.

You don't need multiple ten goal a season midfielders, anyway.

Read and inwardly digest;

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And then do the same for all the other players previously mentioned. I'm not saying that you need multiple ten goal midfielders, the equivalent of half a dozen each and a few from the defenders would do. One of the major reasons for Argyle's plummet down the leagues was the loss of people like Buzz, Norris, Halmosi, who could contribute reasonably well in the goalscoring department and one of the major reasons for the upward movement in the early noughties was the presence of people like Wotton, Friio, Coughlan etc. Exactly the same with any successful Argyle team that you could mention-even Mariner and Rafferty needed 36 goals from the rest of the team in order to be in a promotion winning outfit. Argyle haven't got the personnel to do it, as simple as that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan out?   Sheridan out? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 9:29 pm

sufferedsince 68 wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:
sufferedsince 68 wrote:

Ok then Sherlock, how much did we offer? Did he join? its the same old same old, no good player with the exception on Roobs has joined Argyle since Brent"saved" the club.Luke Mccormick joined in entirely different circumstances.

You're right. Only Peter Hartley for a few grand a week, among other very good players such as McHugh, Mellor and Cox. Banton and Smalley will be on good wages, and I can't see Morgan or Brunt playing for pennies. The idea that this team is James Brent's fault is beyond now, it's obsessive. The point is, there are plenty of managers capable of getting promotion and the way that we continue to bring in players even with a huge injury list is a little encouraging at the very least.

P.S. O'Connor didn't want to commit to an 18 month deal which is fair enough. Not our fault.
Back to top Go down
Hitch

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan out?   Sheridan out? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 9:33 pm

Josh Pope wrote:
sufferedsince 68 wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:
sufferedsince 68 wrote:

You're right. Only Peter Hartley for a few grand a week, among other very good players such as McHugh, Mellor and Cox. Banton and Smalley will be on good wages, and I can't see Morgan or Brunt playing for pennies. The idea that this team is James Brent's fault is beyond now, it's obsessive. The point is, there are plenty of managers capable of getting promotion and the way that we continue to bring in players even with a huge injury list is a little encouraging at the very least.

P.S. O'Connor didn't want to commit to an 18 month deal which is fair enough. Not our fault.

Give me your top 5 who would available to join the club next week.
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan out?   Sheridan out? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 9:37 pm

Josh Pope wrote:
sufferedsince 68 wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:
sufferedsince 68 wrote:

You really think they are good players? they are fourth division journeymen thats all, mid table players for a mid table club. The clubs problems start at the very top with Brent in my view. o'connor would have joined Argyle if he thought the club was going forward. p.s. Having you running the Trust has saved me Ten Quid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan out?   Sheridan out? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Sheridan out?
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next