merse
Czarcasm
Coxside_Green
Rise
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

Why the exeter boycott? Empty
PostSubject: Why the exeter boycott?   Why the exeter boycott? EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 4:22 pm

Less than six and a half thousand for their cup final, was there a "Tisdale out"boycott or is their support really that shite, its all so Village at the Siddadrome geek i expect clueless is cracking one of after the stunning draw with said villagers,its just a pitydiscipline is optional when one plays for team clueless, do they take turns in getting sent off or are they just not bright lads santa
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why the exeter boycott?   Why the exeter boycott? EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 4:54 pm

I didnt boycott the game, I love Tidsdale. geek
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why the exeter boycott?   Why the exeter boycott? EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 6:31 pm

They're obviously saving themselves for the BIG devon derby next week Razz
Back to top Go down
Rise

PostSubject: Re: Why the exeter boycott?   Why the exeter boycott? EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 7:31 pm

Scummer in honest-to-god peace.

Greenjock wrote:

As highly perverse as this is, I know for a handful there is certainly a ring of truth to that.

I'll happily admit I do only speak for a very small handful of City fans but the opinion around my table pre- and post-match today was that this was a bit of a nothing game (in the context of it being a Devon Derby) and that indeed Torquay is carrying more interest as things stand right now.

Given recent history of what happened with us while we were both slumming it in the Conference; the league games, the play-offs, Bucks moving down and taking a few of the guys with him and consequently given the fact the Turks have been in and around the play-offs for the last few seasons (which is where we are aiming to be) means my own immediate peer-group are/were very much of the opinion that those fixtures are turning out to be of greater interest this season rather than those against the traditional 'enemy'.

I know, I know. It feels bleedy strange even typing it.

Combine that with the fact that we are obviously well aware of what has happened down there with you guys, alot of the pent up frustration was vented two years ago in League 1 and the LDV, your current struggles at the wrong end of the league, and it almost feels like kicking someone when they're down; the general concensus today was that a victory would have been rather hollow against such a weakened club. We want to score our bragging rights fairly, and as strange as it sounds, ideally against an Argyle who are occupying their normal position on the food chain.

I may well be derided/strung up by fellow City fans for this, and please take this post with the respect with which it is intended. I honestly dont mean it to be patronising although I'm well aware that that is how it may come across. Ultimately we do have our small-man syndrome when it comes to the City-Argyle situation, the natural order has been well and truly upset of late through entirely non-footballing reasons, and certainly from my small cluster of City fans we felt that it almost - almost - wasnt a 'proper' City-Argyle derby. Going into this one it just felt wrong.
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: Why the exeter boycott?   Why the exeter boycott? EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 7:50 pm

A fair post and welcome to the forum 'Rise'.

I started watching Argyle around 1975 and considered Pompey as our main rivals (at least until the infamous 1983 match) whilst Exeter was a club we played whilst you were at your best and we were under-performing.

I would love us to be similar sized clubs battling it out in the higher leagues, in an Ipswich v Norwich sort of way but we all know we're a million miles from that.

Good luck for the rest of the season, as an Argyle fan I couldn't care less if you get promoted or not, respectfully.

Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Why the exeter boycott?   Why the exeter boycott? EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 7:52 pm

There's nothing wrong with a bit of patronising. If it's done well, and has people questioning whether it's genuine (or patronising) then I'll be the first to doff my cap.

Welcome to ATD. If one can get a feel for a poster after their first effort, you seem like a decent sort. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why the exeter boycott?   Why the exeter boycott? EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 7:53 pm

Rise wrote:

Greenjock wrote:

As highly perverse as this is, I know for a handful there is certainly a ring of truth to that.

I'll happily admit I do only speak for a very small handful of City fans but the opinion around my table pre- and post-match today was that this was a bit of a nothing game (in the context of it being a Devon Derby) and that indeed Torquay is carrying more interest as things stand right now.

Given recent history of what happened with us while we were both slumming it in the Conference; the league games, the play-offs, Bucks moving down and taking a few of the guys with him and consequently given the fact the Turks have been in and around the play-offs for the last few seasons (which is where we are aiming to be) means my own immediate peer-group are/were very much of the opinion that those fixtures are turning out to be of greater interest this season rather than those against the traditional 'enemy'.

Combine that with the fact that we are obviously well aware of what has happened down there with you guys, alot of the pent up frustration was vented two years ago in League 1 and the LDV, your current struggles at the wrong end of the league, and it almost feels like kicking someone when they're down; the general concensus today was that a victory would have been rather hollow against such a weakened club. We want to score our bragging rights fairly, and as strange as it sounds, ideally against an Argyle who are occupying their normal position on the food chain.

I may well be derided/strung up by fellow City fans for this, and please take this post with the respect with which it is intended. I honestly dont mean it to be patronising although I'm well aware that that is how it may come across. Ultimately we do have our small-man syndrome when it comes to the City-Argyle situation, the natural order has been well and truly upset of late through entirely non-footballing reasons, and certainly from my small cluster of City fans we felt that it almost - almost - wasnt a 'proper' City-Argyle derby. Going into this one it just felt wrong.

Get over yourself ! Deluded or what ?
Back to top Go down
merse

PostSubject: Re: Why the exeter boycott?   Why the exeter boycott? EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 8:29 pm

Rise wrote:

Very Happy Don't shatter the illusion in the village "Rise" they're a BIG CLUB DON'T YOU KNOW so feckin' big they don't need to contest the places in and around the promotion or play off spots, just dice with relegation year after year in the delusion that when they DO go down another level they are indeed even bigger than all around them and far too good to be in that company! Rolling Eyes

Looking forard to OUR promotion battle with YOU next week!
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Why the exeter boycott?   Why the exeter boycott? EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 8:53 pm

merse wrote:
Rise wrote:

Very Happy Don't shatter the illusion in the village "Rise" they're a BIG CLUB DON'T YOU KNOW so feckin' big they don't need to contest the places in and around the promotion or play off spots, just dice with relegation year after year in the delusion that when they DO go down another level they are indeed even bigger than all around them and far too good to be in that company! Rolling Eyes

Was there some sort of boycott at Plainmoor today as well? 2,302 to see a promotion chasing team in action.Not impressive.

Actually,i think you're wasting your pinkie usage quotient in pointing out the realities of Argyle's situation,which is only too apparent to those with eyes to see.Which is to say a pretty big majority of posters on this site.
Back to top Go down
Highwayman

Highwayman

PostSubject: Re: Why the exeter boycott?   Why the exeter boycott? EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 9:10 pm

merse wrote:
Rise wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
merse

PostSubject: Re: Why the exeter boycott?   Why the exeter boycott? EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 9:18 pm

Greenskin wrote:

Was there some sort of boycott at Plainmoor today as well? 2,302 to see a promotion chasing team in action.Not impressive.

Not impressive at all, but that's just about the size of the regular fan base for our small club that currently sits 10 points ahead of Argyle in the league table tonight........now if you do beat us on Boxing Day THAT would ideed be a feather in your cap wouldn't it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why the exeter boycott?   Why the exeter boycott? EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 9:22 pm

Merse admire your effort, but nobody gives a fvck about torquay united its a severe case of shit and no fans, while we are just shit flower
Back to top Go down
merse

PostSubject: Re: Why the exeter boycott?   Why the exeter boycott? EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 9:28 pm

Shit that did the double of your "big" club last year though and took huge pleasure from doing so.

Look mate, just try to enjoy your football which is, after all; what football is there for isn't it............ you never know you could get quite happy about winning a few corners and throw ins against your little county cousins who play in silly little grounds and have such poor support. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why the exeter boycott?   Why the exeter boycott? EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 9:36 pm

Not everyone doesn't care about Torquay as an Argyle supporter. Personally I would love to see all 3 Devon clubs doing the business with Argyle winning the local derbies of course. A 1, 2, 3 finish would be great for the County although there is doubt about all of them being able to sustain a higher league membership. As it is for the second season on the trot currently Argyle are third in the pecking order. Sad but unfortunately true and potential never got anyone anywhere. In football it is points that win prizes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why the exeter boycott?   Why the exeter boycott? EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 9:37 pm

merse wrote:
Shit that did the double of your "big" club last year though and took huge pleasure from doing so.

Look mate, just try to enjoy your football which is, after all; what football is there for isn't it............ you never know you could get quite happy about winning a few corners and throw ins against your little county cousins who play in silly little grounds and have such poor support. Wink
I will enjoy my football more when our manager affraid and the banker geek have disappeared over the horizon and become just a bad memory.
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: Why the exeter boycott?   Why the exeter boycott? EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 9:49 pm

The banker's going nowhere, neither is Fletch's advisor (twatter scout).

Torquay will be in division 3 and relegated before we even consider winning games for the fans.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why the exeter boycott?   Why the exeter boycott? EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 10:05 pm

Is that Geoffrey's brother?

I used to have an immature loathing of city and not Torquay because they seemed a friendly little club with no troublemakers and didn't seem ti be rivals to us.

Whether it was a few years of not playing each other or just growing up but it's not such a big thing anymore for me. I still don't want city to do well and definitely don't want to lose to them. The bigger thing for me is I used to want Torquay to do well because they were never a danger to us. Now I'm feckin jealous of them and their manager.

How times change eh?

Have to say as well not being a Plymouthian that Exeter is a far nicer city looks wise than Plymouth, which has always come across as pretty drab. Sorry guys!
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Why the exeter boycott?   Why the exeter boycott? EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 11:11 pm

I don't know anyone who genuinely has a dislike for Torquay. The only proper rivalry they'll ever get will be with Exeter - who, in turn, will always want to beat us more than any other. That is how it is.

Younger fans, under 30ish have unfortunately grown up in an era where we've fallen in to the bottom division for the first time in our history in the 90's. With that 4th division status, comes the inevitibility that you'll be playing teams like Exeter quite regularly, so it's natural that some of the kids will see Exeter as a rival, of sorts.

The natural order of things is not balanced at the moment due firstly to our financial implosion, and now because of Brents naivety in choosing his personel. It will of course turn about. It always does.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Why the exeter boycott?   Why the exeter boycott? EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 11:23 pm

Greenjock wrote:
Is that Geoffrey's brother?

I used to have an immature loathing of city and not Torquay because they seemed a friendly little club with no troublemakers and didn't seem ti be rivals to us.

Whether it was a few years of not playing each other or just growing up but it's not such a big thing anymore for me. I still don't want city to do well and definitely don't want to lose to them. The bigger thing for me is I used to want Torquay to do well because they were never a danger to us. Now I'm feckin jealous of them and their manager.

How times change eh?

Have to say as well not being a Plymouthian that Exeter is a far nicer city looks wise than Plymouth, which has always come across as pretty drab. Sorry guys!

Away from the waterfront, Plymouth wouldn't win any awards for visual splendour, but believe me, it's like the Hanging Gardens of Babylon compared to the majority of cities of comparable size. The Barbican, Hoe, and now the Royal William Yard are taken for granted by many Plymothians. It's only when visitors come here and stand on the Hoe on a sunny day, or when the sun is setting that they pretty much all sing it's praises.

I'm struggling to think of anything that Exeter has, visually, that is worthy of note. The Cathedral perhaps? Or a middle class Debenhams? (John Lewis)
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Why the exeter boycott?   Why the exeter boycott? EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 11:36 pm

sod all.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why the exeter boycott?   Why the exeter boycott? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 12:00 am

Put it this way if if I was treating the missus to a day out shopping, it would be Exeter over Plymouth.

Lots of little side streets with interesting shops compared to the grey soulless city centre in Plymouth. I know Plymouth suffered badly and had to be rebuilt after the war but it isn't an attractive city centre.

I spent a few years near Exeter in my youth and I liked going into Exeter so have been back quite a few times where Plymouth has just been a football destination. This means I don't really know much of the place other than the pubs. I'm not really a good tourist either. I like going somewhere for a specific reason like football, shopping watching gigs or horse racing so I'm sure I've missed lots of interesting stuff.
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Why the exeter boycott?   Why the exeter boycott? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 8:09 pm

Rise wrote:

I may well be derided/strung up by fellow City fans for this,

Nah, you are spot on Rise, there just wasn't the buzz about this one, they sold out because they were desperate for the point, we on the other hand are disappointed to drop points to such offal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why the exeter boycott?   Why the exeter boycott? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 8:19 pm

[quote="Lord Tisdale"]
Rise wrote:

I may well be derided/strung up by fellow City fans for this,

Nah, you are spot on Rise, there just wasn't the buzz about this one, they sold out because they were desperate for the point, we on the other hand are disappointed to drop points to such offal.[/quote The only buzz in exeter Tis, is when the chiefs play! the exeter public watch top flight rugby in pleasant surroundings the Siddarome is unfortunately a complete shithole.
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Why the exeter boycott?   Why the exeter boycott? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 8:32 pm

Sufferedsince68 wrote:
The only buzz in exeter Tis, is when the chiefs play! the exeter public watch top flight rugby in pleasant surroundings the Siddarome is unfortunately a complete shithole.

Pushing at an open door with me 68, big Chiefs fan, had the great privilege of wearing both shirts as a kid.

Sid JP is a shit hole, but it's our shit hole and we love it, give it me every time over some soulless concrete bowl with 12,000 empty green seats.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why the exeter boycott?   Why the exeter boycott? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 8:32 pm

Rise wrote:

Greenjock wrote:

An articulate, reasoned, well constructed post, Rise. Quite enjoyable to read. Welcome to ATD, home of the educated wanker. albino
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why the exeter boycott?   Why the exeter boycott? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why the exeter boycott?
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next