Tringreen
argyl3
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
pepsipete

pepsipete

if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: if we bottle promotion this year   if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 10:07 am

Banton, excited at the time, but we were wrong.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: if we bottle promotion this year   if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 10:27 am

Frank Bullitt wrote:
Wotton and Sturrock were lined up to take over from Sheridan just before we went on our winning run.

I think Sheridan will make it to the end of the season but I expect a Wotton/Sturrock partnership to take over.

Is there any substance to this rumour ?.
Back to top Go down
Josh Pope

PostSubject: Re: if we bottle promotion this year   if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 10:37 am

I think people like McCormick, Reid, Nelson, Hartley, AOC, and McHugh have all been very good at least for us. Mellor, Alessandra, Talbot, Cox and (though I don't agree) potentially Lee have all been fairly good. Blizzard had a good spell earlier in the season and I don't think Norburn has looked too bad. Obviously Brunt doesn't look amazing and Harvey, Bentley and Bittner are unlikely to impress but THD looks alright at left wing back so that's a plus.

A good squad is obviously key but if the squad stays fit then we should be pushing for the play-offs at the very least. If we pick up a few injuries then that's why the loan market is there.

Reid, McCormick, AOC and our three centre backs are the modt pivotal in stayin fit imo.

I don't really support any notion that this team is massively underfunded though, obviously money isn't being pumped in but some of these players are on very good wages for this level.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: if we bottle promotion this year   if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 10:39 am

Josh Pope wrote:
I think people like McCormick, Reid, Nelson, Hartley, AOC, and McHugh have all been very good at least for us. Mellor, Alessandra, Talbot, Cox and (though I don't agree) potentially Lee have all been fairly good. Blizzard had a good spell earlier in the season and I don't think Norburn has looked too bad. Obviously Brunt doesn't look amazing and Harvey, Bentley and Bittner are unlikely to impress but THD looks alright at left wing back so that's a plus.

A good squad is obviously key but if the squad stays fit then we should be pushing for the play-offs at the very least. If we pick up a few injuries then that's why the loan market is there.

Reid, McCormick, AOC and our three centre backs are the modt pivotal in stayin fit imo.

I don't really support any notion that this team is massively underfunded though, obviously money isn't being pumped in but some of these players are on very good wages for this level.

I thought we had the 8th best budget in the league?
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: if we bottle promotion this year   if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 10:59 am

And we're currently 8th.

I'd say Sheridan is shooting par for the course.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: if we bottle promotion this year   if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 11:26 am

Zackly. Depressingly we have at least another twelve months of Argyle lite to look forward to, the underfunded aquisition of Argyle was always going to lead to a struggle. Whether the club will be in a better position after the deadline for all money to be repaid to creditors or whether we will still be strangled by debt burden that we as fans aren't told about remians to be seen, personally I doubt it, Brent is the problem, Brent out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: if we bottle promotion this year   if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 11:35 am

The squad and what they have scored,
RR 17
LA 9
PH 5
Brunt 2
BR 2
The rest of the excellent squad have scored another 6 goals between them.
I would have said that we have RR, LA, Hartley, Brunt, Bobby Reid, Nelson and Mcormick who have proved themselves worthy of the team, maybe, Cox, O'Conner and Kellet, other than that lots of dead wood. We are carrying a few players, we have no decent back up strikers and no subs bench. We need a team to compete in league one not league 2 squad players which is what we have and the reason we are in eigth position in the league.
Back to top Go down
Josh Pope

PostSubject: Re: if we bottle promotion this year   if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 11:45 am

Kellett does not play for us anymore, and at centre back you think McHugh is dead wood? You think Mellor, Talbot and Holmes-Dennis are dead wood? Amazing.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: if we bottle promotion this year   if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 12:17 pm

Iggy wrote:
The squad and what they have scored,
RR 17
LA 9
PH 5
Brunt 2
BR 2
The rest of the excellent squad have scored another 6 goals between them.
I would have said that we have RR, LA, Hartley, Brunt, Bobby Reid, Nelson and Mcormick who have proved themselves worthy of the team, maybe, Cox, O'Conner and Kellet, other than that lots of dead wood. We are carrying a few players, we have no decent back up strikers and no subs bench. We need a team to compete in league one not league 2 squad players which is what we have and the reason we are in eigth position in the league.

Those figures say it all and confirm absolutely what some of us have been saying all season. The lack of goals from other departments has nothing to do with tactics whatsoever and everything to do with personnel-it's about what people are and where their talents lie, which is emphatically not in the goal scoring department. As has been pointed out to the point of distraction, just a quick look at the previous career records of the players concerned [ie just about everyone bar Reid and Alessandra] would say that the current situation is no great surprise-that's not to say that they are bad players, just that they are ill equipped to get enough goals for a genuine promotion challenge. The only way that Argyle will make a fist of it between now and the rest of the season is to keep clean sheets and score an average amount of goals -Saturday was a very hard lesson about what results will ensue when that doesn't happen.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: if we bottle promotion this year   if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 12:55 pm

Josh Pope wrote:
Kellett does not play for us anymore, and at centre back you think McHugh is dead wood? You think Mellor, Talbot and Holmes-Dennis are dead wood? Amazing.

HE SCORED FOR US so i guess thats why iggy mentioned him.
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: if we bottle promotion this year   if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 1:03 pm

It surprises me that no one has commented on the lack of goals generally in this league. Only Northampton have passed the 50 goal mark and that's after 33 games. It's abysmal. We are 40 goals from 33. Southend are on 38 goals and they're 5th! It's truly shite.
We harp on about how good our defence is yet the shortage of goals suggests other teams are strong defensively. Either that or the attacking play is useless.
This is the most boring season I can recall and that includes recent times.
For £20, I've got better things to do.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: if we bottle promotion this year   if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 1:30 pm

One of the features of being an Argyle fan is that we experience remarkably few promotions. So much so that '75, '86, '06, '02 and '04 immediately spring to mind.

Goals scored:

'75 we scored 79 goals
'86 we scored 88 goals
'96 we scored 72 goals
'02 we scored 71 goals
'04 we scored 85 goals.

So far this season we have 40 goals from 33 games.

If we assume that we need 70 goals to go up then we're going to need to start pulverising the ol' onion bag to the tune of 30 goals in 13 games pretty soon.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: if we bottle promotion this year   if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 1:51 pm

Well, my point clearly passed you by SFD. The seasons you've highlighted have no bearing on this season. It's just a crap league this year with goals being in short supply.
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: if we bottle promotion this year   if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 3:46 pm

GreenSam wrote:
I've had this debate too many times to count but I think Sheridan has done well to establish a top 4/5 in the league squad with a 5/6/7/8/9 in the league (depending on who you listen to, it's an estimate anyway) budget. However, having then established that squad, he should then be doing better with it. He's generally a good spotter of players but then doesn't get the best out of those who he does sign.

I wouldn't be hanging out the bunting if he was sacked but I wouldn't be holding back the tears either. How badly would he have to do to convince some of you that he was at least PARTLY culpable? Bottom half? Bottom 8? Not having a pop just genuinely interested.

Without reading the thread any further yet i'd imagine, if they were honest, there is nothing he could to convince ADT folk that it's anyone's fault but the owners, if we lost every remaining game 10-0 it'd probably be 'Brentys' fault for appointing him Laughing

If we don't get promoted it won't be a case of 'bottling it' anyway. We've been too inconsistent to claim anything has been 'thrown away' or 'choked. We didn't agree on the scale of the 'feast or famine' swings we've experienced but Czar' summed us up well on the 'Sheridan out' thread......

Czarcasm wrote:
......We've been an upper-middling team pretty much for all of that period. We're not particularly great, conversely we're not shite, so little spells of good or bad results are what will follow - and they have.

You can only 'bottle' something if you had a realistic prospect of achieving it but then squandered the opportunity. Personally I think this squad is/was capable of it but we're hamstrung by inexplicable doldrums after seemingly dominant runs of results.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: if we bottle promotion this year   if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 3:49 pm

X Isle wrote:
GreenSam wrote:
I've had this debate too many times to count but I think Sheridan has done well to establish a top 4/5 in the league squad with a 5/6/7/8/9 in the league (depending on who you listen to, it's an estimate anyway) budget. However, having then established that squad, he should then be doing better with it. He's generally a good spotter of players but then doesn't get the best out of those who he does sign.

I wouldn't be hanging out the bunting if he was sacked but I wouldn't be holding back the tears either. How badly would he have to do to convince some of you that he was at least PARTLY culpable? Bottom half? Bottom 8? Not having a pop just genuinely interested.

Without reading the thread any further yet i'd imagine, if they were honest, there is nothing he could to convince ADT folk that it's anyone's fault but the owners, if we lost every remaining game 10-0 it'd probably be 'Brentys' fault for appointing him Laughing

If we don't get promoted it won't be a case of 'bottling it' anyway. We've been too inconsistent to claim anything has been 'thrown away' or 'choked. We didn't agree on the scale of the 'feast or famine' swings we've experienced but Czar' summed us up well on the 'Sheridan out' thread......

Czarcasm wrote:
......We've been an upper-middling team pretty much for all of that period. We're not particularly great, conversely we're not shite, so little spells of good or bad results are what will follow - and they have.

You can only 'bottle' something if you had a realistic prospect of achieving it but then squandered the opportunity. Personally I think this squad is/was capable of it but we're hamstrung by inexplicable doldrums after seemingly dominant runs of results.

it will be case of lack of squad depth and bottling it its sheridan aswell as brents fault not to mention the players x throbber
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: if we bottle promotion this year   if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 3:56 pm

It's probably a bit of all of that........the first and the last of those four being down to two other 'blame factors', the ongoing legacy of post administration debt and the drive (which I support) to be self sufficient.

We are what we are, until the debts are cleared we won't be anything else, no matter how unrealistic one's expectations are.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: if we bottle promotion this year   if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 4:00 pm

Angry wrote:
Josh Pope wrote:

HE SCORED FOR US so i guess thats why iggy mentioned him.

Dead right Kellet was one of our scorers so got mentioned, don't get me wrong I don't expect everybody in the team to score 10 goals but, apart from RR, LA, and Hartley (hats off to Hartley for his five) we don't score from set pieces and rarely from corners.
Come on Josh where is the proof that our players (apart from RR, LA and Hartley) scored goals before they were with us?
And don't say Banton because we were all rolled by him. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: if we bottle promotion this year   if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 5:06 pm

Only Smalley 36 goals and Talbot 23 goals, have any scoring ability and that's over quite a few seasons.
Back to top Go down
gasser9

PostSubject: Re: if we bottle promotion this year   if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 6:02 pm

Compare this team with the previous teams that got us promoted from this division and apart from maybe RR & LM you would struggle to see any of them getting in those teams.
Even RR might be subject to debate. Would he be better than Trigger or Adie Littlejohn. Maybe the latter but not the former IMO. Mickey Evans was a very good target man although not a prolific goalscorer.
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: if we bottle promotion this year   if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 6:07 pm

If we dont get promotion, i expect Shez to be almost as unpopular as Knobber Nool is with the GT'S and The Argyle staff, if thats possible!cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: if we bottle promotion this year   if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 6:14 pm

sufferedsince 68 wrote:
If we dont get promotion, i expect Shez to be almost as unpopular as Knobber Nool is with the GT'S and The Argyle staff, if thats possible!cheers

GT'S?? thats news to me i thought he was their biggest fan
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: if we bottle promotion this year   if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 6:17 pm

Angry wrote:
sufferedsince 68 wrote:

He Brown noses them, they like the vast majority of the human race think he's a P...k!jocolorpigjocolor
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: if we bottle promotion this year   if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 6:27 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:
Wotton and Sturrock were lined up to take over from Sheridan just before we went on our winning run.

I think Sheridan will make it to the end of the season but I expect a Wotton/Sturrock partnership to take over.

Heard the rumour about Sturrock, Wotton not mentioned - source is credible, say no more.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: if we bottle promotion this year   if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 6:38 pm

sufferedsince 68 wrote:
Angry wrote:
sufferedsince 68 wrote:

He Brown noses them, they like the vast majority of the human race think he's a P...k!jocolorpigjocolor

lol nice on gt's

Bandwagon wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:

Heard the rumour about Sturrock, Wotton not mentioned - source is credible, say no more.

hope you told your source that it would a stupid idea in the hope he passes it on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: if we bottle promotion this year   if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 6:50 pm

Angry wrote:
sufferedsince 68 wrote:
Angry wrote:
sufferedsince 68 wrote:

lol nice on gt's

Bandwagon wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:

hope you told your source that it would a stupid idea in the hope he passes it on.

I did say it would be crazy a third time, but hay ho!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: if we bottle promotion this year   if we bottle promotion this year - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

if we bottle promotion this year
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next