Warny
LondonGreen
Tringreen
Dingle
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Guy Branston - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guy Branston   Guy Branston - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 6:50 pm

My guess is that Nelson will be used as & when necessary - as is good for a youngster.

Berry is a good right-back.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Guy Branston   Guy Branston - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 6:55 pm

the bottom of scaping barrel the - anagram
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Guy Branston   Guy Branston - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 6:55 pm

Nelson as a striker?
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: Guy Branston   Guy Branston - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 7:07 pm

Our defence led by best fwiend Purse has been shite all season. If we end up with 2 untainted CBs it can only be a good thing.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Guy Branston   Guy Branston - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 7:10 pm

Angry of Mayfair wrote:
another CB interesting does this mean Nelson is going to be used more as a Right Back

Why not play Berry at RB ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Guy Branston   Guy Branston - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 7:20 pm

Davidfriio4 wrote:
Angry of Mayfair wrote:
another CB interesting does this mean Nelson is going to be used more as a Right Back

so berry is going to go thw whole time he is here un injuried or suspended and play well in every game? Nelson i guess will provided cover for RB more so now if Trottman does join.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Guy Branston   Guy Branston - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 7:23 pm

Davidfriio4 wrote:
Angry of Mayfair wrote:

Either Nelson or Berry could play right back adequately. Berry is more of a natural full back in terms of positioning but Nelson is better in the air and has a longer throw. Neither gets forward to offer much threat down the wing but Nelson offers more goal threat offensively at set pieces. Nelson's disciplinary record is probably better because Berry seems to pick up an incredible number of bookings. I don't think there is much in it in terms of pace but it is probably harder to run past Nelson because he is a bit stronger and a bit wider. I would put Nelson there every time if he could cross a ball but Berry isn't that much better at crossing. It's a tough call but I think Nelson shades it.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Guy Branston   Guy Branston - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 7:29 pm

Branston feels to me like a bit of a downgrade, a lower league version of Darren Purse if you like.

I don't think he's terrible at this level, but he's been let go by Bradford. Hardly inspiring.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Guy Branston   Guy Branston - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 7:32 pm

He played well when he was down here with Bristol Rovers and scored a last minute equaliser for them. I think he'll do fine. Or at least as well as Purse would have done.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Guy Branston   Guy Branston - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 7:34 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
He played well when he was down here with Bristol Rovers and scored a last minute equaliser for them. I think he'll do fine. Or at least as well as Purse would have done.

Think that was Barrett for Gillingham actually.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Guy Branston   Guy Branston - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 7:38 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:
Branston feels to me like a bit of a downgrade, a lower league version of Darren Purse if you like.

I don't think he's terrible at this level, but he's been let go by Bradford. Hardly inspiring.

thats because he is.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Guy Branston   Guy Branston - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 7:42 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Oh yes. It was. I just got a little less confident that he will do OK. In fact here's a big black hole now where my what to expect from him feelings were.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Guy Branston   Guy Branston - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 7:54 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Oh yes. It was. I just got a little less confident that he will do OK. In fact here's a big black hole now where my what to expect from him feelings were.

Sorry about that. Wink

Branston will certainly be competitive and a good organiser/leader of the back four,i remember him as a bit of a hard case when he was down here previously,wouldn't like to have played against him in all truth.Hopefully his legs will last the pace,that would be the biggest doubt in my mind.Probably not a long term answer but if he can dominate in the air and get cover from someone with a bit of pace alongside him,then he could prove to be an asset over the next 19 games.
Back to top Go down
merse

PostSubject: Re: Guy Branston   Guy Branston - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 11:01 pm

mcfry wrote:
Hopefully he can be more commanding at set pieces than what we have seen so far

He'll be reasonable defending set pieces, it's when play is fluid that whenever you concede a goal you'll ask yourself "where the feck was he?" and when you check it out on player or whatever you'll realise that he gets drawn out of position very easily.

A great leader, a poor footballer; slow and somewhat short (6' 2") for a contemorary central defender. The type of signing a team in the shit would make because to be honest no-one of any quality or with other options is going to risk their reputation are they?

Branno was signed by Paul Buckle to nursemaid the young Mark Ellis through his formative years and then chose to take an offer from Bradford City that trebled his earnings (a no brainer really for a player in his dotage) leaving the newly installed Martin Ling wthout a centre half. He brought in the excellent Brian Saah and managed to get seventy five grand for the accident prone Ellis, replacing him with Aaron Downes on a free whilst developing three reasonably talented teenaged central defenders in Kyrtis MacKenzie, Jake Hutchings and Angus MacDonald...............all far better passers of a ball than Branston and all with their futures ahead of them.

Branno begged Ling to take him back this summer but knew he wasn't the type that the Torquay manager would put in his squad, and so moved to Aldershot on loan from Bradford as it was nearer his Torquay (he has settled with a local girl who's father was Paul Buckle's Chief Scout) home than other offers he'd had and obviously this latest gig for him is even better; and better than nothing. He'll be quite handy to have around if you drop into The Conference and don't really want to play constructive football mind you and maybe the guy (forgive the pun) who keeps you up by the skin of your teeth.
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: Guy Branston   Guy Branston - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 11:37 pm

merse wrote:
mcfry wrote:
Hopefully he can be more commanding at set pieces than what we have seen so far

He'll be reasonable defending set pieces, it's when play is fluid that whenever you concede a goal you'll ask yourself "where the feck was he?" and when you check it out on player or whatever you'll realise that he gets drawn out of position very easily.

A great leader, a poor footballer; slow and somewhat short (6' 2") for a contemorary central defender. The type of signing a team in the shit would make because to be honest no-one of any quality or with other options is going to risk their reputation are they?

Branno was signed by Paul Buckle to nursemaid the young Mark Ellis through his formative years and then chose to take an offer from Bradford City that trebled his earnings (a no brainer really for a player in his dotage) leaving the newly installed Martin Ling wthout a centre half. He brought in the excellent Brian Saah and managed to get seventy five grand for the accident prone Ellis, replacing him with Aaron Downes on a free whilst developing three reasonably talented teenaged central defenders in Kyrtis MacKenzie, Jake Hutchings and Angus MacDonald...............all far better passers of a ball than Branston and all with their futures ahead of them.

Branno begged Ling to take him back this summer but knew he wasn't the type that the Torquay manager would put in his squad, and so moved to Aldershot on loan from Bradford as it was nearer his Torquay (he has settled with a local girl who's father was Paul Buckle's Chief Scout) home than other offers he'd had and obviously this latest gig for him is even better; and better than nothing. He'll be quite handy to have around if you drop into The Conference and don't really want to play constructive football mind you and maybe the guy (forgive the pun) who keeps you up by the skin of your teeth.

You talk sense most of the time but your latest offering is just a lazy put down.

Brano's contract is until the end of the season so feck all to to with our possibly impending conference days.

FWIIW I believe we do have a few decent CBs, Brano's presence will improve them. Nelson & Richards are both young and largely inexperienced (Nelson does have some experience) but both possess the ability to come good. Blanchard is a seasoned pro who has struggled amidst a lack of professionalism throughout the club. Brano's a bit more than 'handy to have around'. He'll up the game for the others. He should also add a presence with set-pieces whereas Purse went missing. Obviously not a player for the future but should be enough for the remaining 19 games.

Last edited by Coxside_Green on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Guy Branston   Guy Branston - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 11:42 pm

Good signing in our position. Experience will be good for the younger players and definitely still capable in League 2.
Back to top Go down
merse

PostSubject: Re: Guy Branston   Guy Branston - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 7:12 am

Coxside_Green wrote:

You quote me saying: "He'll be quite handy to have around if you drop into The Conference and don't really want to play constructive football mind you and maybe the guy (forgive the pun) who keeps you up by the skin of your teeth."

You claim: You talk sense most of the time but your latest offering is just a lazy put down.
Brano's contract is until the end of the season so feck all to to with our possibly impending conference days.
[/quote]

I haven't suggested his signing is "to do with your impending Conference days" I have said he would be handy to have around if you go down and the FACT is the attraction for the player is that it is a wage coming in without the need to live away from home. How is that a "lazy put down" then?
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Guy Branston   Guy Branston - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 10:21 am

COME ON BRANNO DO US PROUD!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Guy Branston   Guy Branston - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 10:31 am

We should be about nine points better off if only the CBS attack the ball in the air from set pieces, Purse may as well have gone in October really, he has been no where to be seen of late.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Guy Branston   Guy Branston - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 10:39 am

Iggy wrote:
We should be about nine points better off if only the CBS attack the ball in the air from set pieces, Purse may as well have gone in October really, he has been no where to be seen of late.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] with real fwends Rolling Eyes Ee's a legend don't y'know.
Back to top Go down
Exetallica

Exetallica

PostSubject: Re: Guy Branston   Guy Branston - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 12:31 pm

I think you have totally downgraded from Purse to Branston. (for me thats a good thing).

Purse was brilliant against us last month, won everything, in my opinion. Branston couldnt get in Aldershot's team and struggled at Bristol Rovers and there fans could not wait for him to leave.

I think despite what the your Brent boys are churning out, this is not a good signing and in a month you will be saying WTF.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Guy Branston   Guy Branston - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 7:13 pm

Was He that good. I thougt it was more to do with Cureton having one of those days when he does t give a toss.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Guy Branston   Guy Branston - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 8:08 pm

I thought he did OK today. Not outstanding - OK. He instigated a lot of talking with his fellow defenders, especially Nelson (who I thought had a good game). If he can bring his experience to Nelson's benefit that will be a good investment for the future.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Guy Branston   Guy Branston - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 8:18 pm

I agree he did ok today although I disagree about Nelson a little bit. Not a terrible game but he doesn't seem to be aware of where his back line colleagues are. He was consistently 3 or 4 yards behind them all of the time. The screams of "move out Nelson" were constant from around me and he seemed stuck for the second half at least. 3 points will do however even if we were hanging on. Plenty of points thrown away unjustly previously so will take these.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Guy Branston   Guy Branston - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 8:23 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
I agree he did ok today although I disagree about Nelson a little bit. Not a terrible game but he doesn't seem to be aware of where his back line colleagues are. He was consistently 3 or 4 yards behind them all of the time. The screams of "move out Nelson" were constant from around me and he seemed stuck for the second half at least. 3 points will do however even if we were hanging on. Plenty of points thrown away unjustly previously so will take these.

Yes, I think a number of the 'conversations' Branson had with Nelson were about not moving out quickly enough. I think, if he has the ability, that reading of the game and being able to operate as part of a unit can be learnt. Is he only 18? My comments about Nelson were more about his tackling, heading and covering.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guy Branston   Guy Branston - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Guy Branston
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next