Dick Trickle
Tgwu
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Greenskin

Greenskin

Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blizzard blames Sheridan   Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 12:51 pm

ejh wrote:
For as much as I have moaned about Sheridan, I do by and large rate him as a manager and his time at Argyle.

But I totally agree with Blizzard's interpretation of events.

It all began going sour after Christmas. Before that Shez had a side of contenders on his hands. Our games against Luton and Pompey on tv showed what a capable and gritty side Shez had assembled.

After Christmas I saw some poor displays, notably Newport away and Oxford away where Argyle just didn't look interested. The confidence wasn't there on either occasion.

We just about scraped the playoffs in the end, which is an achievement in itself. But from the side that we looked before Christmas, it was hardly a cause for celebration to scrape 7th. The side before Christmas would also have been the favourites in those playoff games - instead as Blizzard says, we had no confidence going into the matches, we got the tactics wrong and didn't prepare for what Wycombe were going to bring.

I think Phil Brown and Gareth Ainsworth got far more out of poorer squads of players than ours - so overall I think the time was right to make a switch for a manager who can take us where we want to be. There was nothing in the last 5 months that suggested Sheridan could lead a top 3 assault - if anything it looked like we were heading toward midtable with another season under Shez (IMHO of course).

Well, we'll see. To me the disruption with the loan players and injuries [especially O'Connor and Hartley]were by far the most salient factors and coupled with Reid's decline post Exeter and lack of midfield firepower contributed most to Argyle's decline. As to the future manager, then Nigel Adkins would be the perfect fit for me but would he be prepared to take a pretty hefty cut in wages and put his reputation on the line to manage a club operating on a mid table fourth division budget? Again, we'll see but I've got very grave doubts about whether he or anyone else of that calibre and record would take it on.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard blames Sheridan   Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 1:02 pm

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
It is a FACT that had Dagenham drawn their last game and Barnet had won theirs' then we would have been a conference side the next season.

i am stating a literal fact not an interpretation of a fact.

You're the one twisting my words Greenskin.

Knowing a win would suffice, we still managed to make a pigs ear of our last game at Rochdale.

Forward two years and nothing's changed.

Not really a bigger picture type, are you? The fact is that, as stated previously, under Sheridan's management Argyle took 28 points from 18 games which enabled 52 points to be gained, enough to keep Argyle in the league. End of story.
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard blames Sheridan   Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 1:20 pm

It's this saviour bit regarding Sheridan that I find nonsense. He needed and obtained help from other teams.

He, and his team, continually fell short when important matches came along.

You comment on injuries yet forget that Wycombe had a novice kid in goal. That galvanised them. We'd have collapsed.

The bigger picture tells me that Sheridan failed to deliver. No manager gets two and a half years these days, Tidsdale aside. The fact he walked suggests he didn't belong at the club.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard blames Sheridan   Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 1:25 pm

SwimWithTheTide wrote:
Angry wrote:
SwimWithTheTide wrote:
lol!  Well if you weren't intent on chatting shit on a near constant basis Angry then you wouldn't be called out on it so often...

In what way is a child behind a keyboard with nothing of worth to say calling me out? Do grow up kid

You said this:
"im not absolving players who were utter garbage Blizzard being the main culprit with Reid who think selling a story to the papers that stinks of someone butt hurt"

So I asked what Reid had done? Because it reads as if Reid thinks selling a story to the paper stinks of butthurt or something like that. To be honest, I don't really understand what your post was about. I'm guessing something along the lines of Blizzard is shit and his interview is just sour grapes, which is fair enough. I just wondered why you were bringing Reid into this is all, I didn't know if I'd missed something, so I asked and then you got all sensitive, as per... So anyway, what were you on about with Reid?   lol!

not even going to waste time on a troll.

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
It's this saviour bit regarding Sheridan that I find nonsense. He needed and obtained help from other teams.

You comment on injuries yet forget that Wycombe had a novice kid in goal. That galvanised them. We'd have collapsed.

The bigger picture tells me that Sheridan failed to deliver. No manager gets two and a half years these days, Tidsdale aside. The fact he walked suggests he didn't belong at the club.

and brent and the players are not to blame too?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard blames Sheridan   Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 1:39 pm

Angry, you said Reid sold a story to the papers (or something), what on earth are you referring to?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard blames Sheridan   Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 1:41 pm

ejh wrote:
Angry, you said Reid sold a story to the papers (or something), what on earth are you referring to?

did i? i thought i said he was garbage like blizzard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard blames Sheridan   Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 1:42 pm

Angry wrote:
SwimWithTheTide wrote:
Angry wrote:
SwimWithTheTide wrote:
lol!  Well if you weren't intent on chatting shit on a near constant basis Angry then you wouldn't be called out on it so often...

In what way is a child behind a keyboard with nothing of worth to say calling me out? Do grow up kid

You said this:
"im not absolving players who were utter garbage Blizzard being the main culprit with Reid who think selling a story to the papers that stinks of someone butt hurt"

So I asked what Reid had done? Because it reads as if Reid thinks selling a story to the paper stinks of butthurt or something like that. To be honest, I don't really understand what your post was about. I'm guessing something along the lines of Blizzard is shit and his interview is just sour grapes, which is fair enough. I just wondered why you were bringing Reid into this is all, I didn't know if I'd missed something, so I asked and then you got all sensitive, as per... So anyway, what were you on about with Reid?   lol!

Rollo Tomasi wrote:

How on earth was the playoff debacle Brent's fault?

The opposition had an 18 year old keeper with no league appearances FFS, that is an issue to knock on the chairman's door about.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard blames Sheridan   Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 1:42 pm

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
It is a FACT that had Dagenham drawn their last game and Barnet had won theirs' then we would have been a conference side the next season.

i am stating a literal fact not an interpretation of a fact.

You're the one twisting my words Greenskin.

Knowing a win would suffice, we still managed to make a pigs ear of our last game at Rochdale.

Forward two years and nothing's changed.

An away game at Rochdale is no gimme even if they have nowt to play for.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard blames Sheridan   Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 1:44 pm

Rollo Tomasi wrote:

For Christ's sake. You might as well say that Sturrock needed help from Luton losing to Macclesfield or whoever it was to win the title in 2001/2 or that Waiters was a flop because Argyle lost 5-2 to Blackburn in 1974/75.Ridiculous tripe.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard blames Sheridan   Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 1:54 pm

ejh wrote:
Angry wrote:
SwimWithTheTide wrote:
Angry wrote:
SwimWithTheTide wrote:

You said this:

Rollo Tomasi wrote:

The opposition had an 18 year old keeper with no league appearances FFS, that is an issue to knock on the chairman's door about.

His budget left our team to be made up with mercenaries from other clubs and injured players playing on pain killer injections because the budget was so small in reality ut left us after the top 11 no depth at all to replace the injured parties or even freshen things up. so yes he is at fault along with sheridan and the players.
Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard blames Sheridan   Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 4:59 pm

Angry wrote:
ejh wrote:

did i? i thought i said he was garbage like blizzard.

Angry, I'm sorry if I upset you because your sentence didn't make sense, but I was just trying to clear up what you were actually trying to say. I'm not sure why that constitutes trolling? 

Are you aware of the injury that Reuben has been suffering for the last few months by the way? In my opinion, Sheridan handled that situation poorly by running Reid into the ground and persisting with him despite his ineffective performances. By the time the play offs came along Reid had nothing left to give, he was garbage you're right, but I think everyone can understand the reasons why he put in such disappointing shifts and can appreciate that Reid isn't a garbage player generally (when fit). I do get Sheridan's reluctance to drop his star striker, but we could all see that the guy needed a break and also JS had just signed a new striker in Brunt (and later Ansah) who had shown they were capable of coming in and doing a job (unlike double digits MM).
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard blames Sheridan   Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 5:02 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Rollo Tomasi wrote:

For Christ's sake. You might as well say that Sturrock needed help from Luton losing to Macclesfield or whoever it was to win the title in 2001/2 or that Waiters was a flop because Argyle lost 5-2 to Blackburn in 1974/75.Ridiculous tripe.

When Argyle needed to win at Carlisle, Darlington and home to Cheltenham in those last three games, they delivered.
Why you quote a February fixture away at Blackburn 40 years ago is a mystery!

Sheridan's team consistently did not deliver.

His time was up. He knew it but you apparently don't.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard blames Sheridan   Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 5:28 pm

Angry wrote:
ejh wrote:
Angry wrote:
SwimWithTheTide wrote:
Angry wrote:
SwimWithTheTide wrote:

You said this:

Rollo Tomasi wrote:

His budget left our team to be made up with mercenaries from other clubs and injured players playing on pain killer injections because the budget was so small in reality ut left us after the top 11 no depth at all to replace the injured parties or even freshen things up. so yes he is at fault along with sheridan and the players.

Absolute nonsense. Not only did we have other options but several fans (myself included) posted the need to drop Reuben and Lewis. Then there is the small fact that non Reuben Reid/Alessandra forwards scored three goals in the playoffs to their none, despite having less game time.

Sheridan started with the stale injured team, through his own stubbornness and tactical naivety, despite what was clear and apparent at Shrewsbury when Reuben and Lewi were rested. Shez had other options but he started the out of form pairing thinking pre-Christmas form could happen - this gamble nothing to do with JB.

Also you seem to think loans come free, they don't - we often pay their wages and even fees to clubs to have those players. That is why you don't see the likes of Lee Cox or THD playing for Accrington - but for Argyle and Oxford and clubs that can actually afford him. Same for Banton, Bobby Reid, Zak Ansah, these aren't cheap freebies. It is better for Argyle because we don't get lumbered with contract commitments but can offload out of form players as and when required and don't saturate our budget on the likes of Marvin Morgan and Dom Blizzard - players we thought were decent but didn't deliver value for money on their two year contracts.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard blames Sheridan   Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 6:15 pm

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Rollo Tomasi wrote:

When Argyle needed to win at Carlisle, Darlington and home to Cheltenham in those last three games, they delivered.

Not quite sure what your point is. When we needed wins in the last two games of the season to ensure a play off place Sheridan's team delivered.

No team wins every match. Results of matches between other clubs are of course a factor, it's ludicrous to blame Sheridan because results went our way.

Play offs were obviously disappointing but if you were offered a place in the top 7 at the start of the season you'd have taken it. I know I would, given the dross of the last few years. I really don't get the animosity against a manager who did his job pretty well given the budget constraints he was under, and has now left the club in a considerably better state than it was when he arrived.
Back to top Go down
steveinspain

steveinspain

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard blames Sheridan   Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 6:27 pm

I don't think the club is in a better state, most of the decent players were loans.
The new manager has a re-building job to do.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard blames Sheridan   Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 6:29 pm

ejh wrote:
Angry wrote:
ejh wrote:
Angry wrote:
SwimWithTheTide wrote:
Angry wrote:
SwimWithTheTide wrote:

You said this:

Rollo Tomasi wrote:

Absolute nonsense. Not only did we have other options but several fans (myself included) posted the need to drop Reuben and Lewis. Then there is the small fact that non Reuben Reid/Alessandra forwards scored three goals in the playoffs to their none, despite having less game time.

Sheridan started with the stale injured team, through his own stubbornness and tactical naivety, despite what was clear and apparent at Shrewsbury when Reuben and Lewi were rested. Shez had other options but he started the out of form pairing thinking pre-Christmas form could happen - this gamble nothing to do with JB.

Also you seem to think loans come free, they don't - we often pay their wages and even fees to clubs to have those players. That is why you don't see the likes of Lee Cox or THD playing for Accrington - but for Argyle and Oxford and clubs that can actually afford him. Same for Banton, Bobby Reid, Zak Ansah, these aren't cheap freebies. It is better for Argyle because we don't get lumbered with contract commitments but can offload out of form players as and when required and don't saturate our budget on the likes of Marvin Morgan and Dom Blizzard - players we thought were decent but didn't deliver value for money on their two year contracts.

The budget was poor and we had a thread bare squad. End of discussion.
Back to top Go down
steveinspain

steveinspain

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard blames Sheridan   Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 6:40 pm

5th best budget in the division according to JB.
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard blames Sheridan   Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 6:43 pm

7th - 9th IIRC.
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard blames Sheridan   Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 6:44 pm

steveinspain wrote:
5th best budget in the division according to JB.

Ninth best, Brent told a fans meeting in Cornwall somewhere.
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard blames Sheridan   Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 6:47 pm

Sherridan was a far better manager than Blizzard was a player, when we are scuffling around down the bottom of the league next season, Shez will look even better!
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard blames Sheridan   Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 6:59 pm

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Rollo Tomasi wrote:

Not quite sure what your point is. When we needed wins in the last two games of the season to ensure a play off place Sheridan's team delivered.

No team wins every match. Results of matches between other clubs are of course a factor, it's ludicrous to blame Sheridan because results went our way.

Play offs were obviously disappointing but if you were offered a place in the top 7 at the start of the season you'd have taken it. I know I would, given the dross of the last few years. I really don't get the animosity against a manager who did his job pretty well given the budget constraints he was under, and has now left the club in a considerably better state than it was when he arrived.

He puts a completely biased and one sided slant on the issue. No credit is due to Sheridan apparently for keeping Argyle in the league and his teams continually bottle big matches. But the biggest six point match of that season was against Barnet at Home Park with 11 games to go-had that been lost, then Argyle would have gone down. But Argyle won 2-1.Now it's no big deal for Argyle to beat Barnet in the overall scheme of things and if the club had been financed and run properly over a period of many years, then they shouldn't really be competing with us. But Argyle was not run or financed properly and they were in a cut throat, almost winner takes all scenario with Barnet and came through it. There was also the matter of Chesterfield winning the league and the JPT under his management-by definition there must have been some big matches there, which do not appear to be have been adversely affected by Sheridan's inability to motivate. Perhaps he was able to bring in better players?
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard blames Sheridan   Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 7:01 pm

AstiSpumante wrote:
7th - 9th  IIRC.

Jesus wept, how many more times does this have to be repeated to some people before it finally sinks in? Rolling Eyes You might as well go and tell your cat.
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard blames Sheridan   Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 7:25 pm

7th - 9th IIRC. cat
Back to top Go down
steveinspain

steveinspain

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard blames Sheridan   Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 7:54 pm

My cat doesn't give a shit about Argyle. He's a Barça fan.
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard blames Sheridan   Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 8:07 pm

Is he a Catalonian ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard blames Sheridan   Blizzard blames Sheridan - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Blizzard blames Sheridan
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next