SwimWithTheTide
PatDunne
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

IF - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IF   IF - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 11:03 am

ejh wrote:
Sheridan should not be in a job if he fails to finish in the top 7 with this squad.

The fact Exeter are level on points with us despite losing their best player in January, generating £2million and having a transfer embargo throughout pre season just about says it all for me.

Absolutely embarrassing.

This squad has a twenty goal a season striker and another one on Bout ten (Lewi) the rest of the squad is shite, they have never scored regularly before now, now repeat after me, "you can't polish a turd."
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

IF - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IF   IF - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 12:33 pm

Best keeper in the League
One of the meanest defences of all the 92.
20 goal striker.

It's a measure of how rediculously poor our midfield and all the fringe players are, that we are struggling to hit the top 7 in div 4.
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

IF - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IF   IF - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 1:04 pm

I'm no Brent apologist but if Sheridan doesn't reach the play offs then he should be dismissed and quite clearly, as he would admit, he has not fulfilled his own early season prediction.

Regardless of the players the fact that we can be 8th and have still not won a game from a losing position in such a long time is a disgrace.

Of course the question then is...who do you bring in, what resources do they require and is that possible with the budget set by the owner?
Back to top Go down
GreenWhiteBlack

GreenWhiteBlack

IF - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IF   IF - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 4:02 pm

Quite simply Sheridan is not good enough, that said we should and probably will still make the playoffs.

Regardless of where we are next season, i hope we have a new man in charge personally.
Back to top Go down

IF - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IF   IF - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 5:03 pm

GreenWhiteBlack wrote:
Quite simply Sheridan is not good enough, that said we should and probably will still make the playoffs.

Regardless of where we are next season, i hope we have a new man in charge personally.

add a new owner into that and things might improve all round.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

IF - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IF   IF - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 5:08 pm

GreenWhiteBlack wrote:

I agree.

Sheridan has about done his time here and should be replaced with a kind thank-you for his efforts.

If Argyle do go down that route, then there should be a fair number of applicants applying for the job. Once the club have separated the wheat from the chaff, i would hope they have a new manager that has courage and desire to get the club moving in the right direction.

Once again over on PASOTI the call for Sturrock or Warnock is rife. No, no, no and a fourth no.

Back to top Go down

IF - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IF   IF - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 5:41 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
GreenWhiteBlack wrote:

I agree.

Sheridan has about done his time here and should be replaced with a kind thank-you for his efforts.

If Argyle do go down that route, then there should be a fair number of applicants applying for the job. Once the club have separated the wheat from the chaff, i would hope they have a new manager that has courage and desire to get the club moving in the right direction.

Once again over on PASOTI the call for Sturrock or Warnock is rife. No, no, no and a fourth no.

yeah because warnock a guy who last managed in this league nearly 20 years ago is just the sort of guy with rep for putting together teams on a thinlace budget sarcasm

can they not have a bit of ambition and come up with someone new?
Back to top Go down

IF - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IF   IF - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 7:46 pm

Whatever happens I think Sheridans finished with Argyle when the season ends, as for the owner, well the consensus appears to be for him to bugger off, so what's the alternative, can't sack him, are there any buyers out there ? does anybody know ? if so let's see these potential buyers put their cards on the table.
I would like to see a new owner with some spare dosh takeover, but I get a bit hacked off with the usual "Brent out" comments which is never backed up with any alternative.
I want fecking Cameron out and I'll get the chance to do so next month but voting Brent out is not an option, so what are the options ? because at the moment I can't see any, can anybody ?
Back to top Go down

IF - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IF   IF - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 7:50 pm

Graiser wrote:
Whatever happens I think Sheridans finished with Argyle when the season ends, as for the owner, well the consensus appears to be for him to bugger off, so what's the alternative, can't sack him, are there any buyers out there ? does anybody know ? if so let's see these potential buyers put their cards on the table.
I would like to see a new owner with some spare dosh takeover, but I get a bit hacked off with the usual "Brent out" comments which is never backed up with any alternative.
I want fecking Cameron out and I'll get the chance to do so next month but voting Brent out is not an option, so what are the options ? because at the moment I can't see any, can anybody ?

whats the alternative to sheridan? im not see a load of names popping that will work for peanuts and with much less for circus.
Back to top Go down

IF - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IF   IF - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 7:56 pm

Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:

whats the alternative to sheridan?  im not see a load of names popping that will work for peanuts and with much less for circus.

The point is you can sack managers or they can just sod off, chairmen/owners not so easy.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

IF - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IF   IF - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 5:23 am

Graiser wrote:
Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:

whats the alternative to sheridan?  im not see a load of names popping that will work for peanuts and with much less for circus.

The point is you can sack managers or they can just sod off, chairmen/owners not so easy.
Particularly when they're intent on making a tidy profit out of their non investment.
Back to top Go down

IF - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IF   IF - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 10:37 am

Graiser wrote:

For Argyle to flourish it needs a fresh start, just watch as we falter and then flounder next season, we are saddled with known and unknown levels of debt, the owner has asset stripped the club (car park land) and is plotting and scheming to come good on his non investment. For these reasons Brent needs to go he has his own interests way ahead of those of Argyle. I want Brent out, more than ever, why shouldn't I voice that opinion? Without voicing those opinions it would give the impression that we all believe in the Brent/Porky regime and that is far rom the truth.
Back to top Go down

IF - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IF   IF - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 7:42 pm

Iggy wrote:
Graiser wrote:

For Argyle to flourish it needs a fresh start, just watch as we falter and then flounder next season, we are saddled with known and unknown levels of debt, the owner has asset stripped the club (car park land) and is plotting and scheming to come good on his non investment. For these reasons Brent needs to go he has his own interests way ahead of those of Argyle. I want Brent out, more than ever, why shouldn't I voice that opinion? Without voicing those opinions it would give the impression that we all believe in the Brent/Porky regime and that is far rom the truth.

Iggy I'm not implying nobody shouldn't have the right to an opinion whatever that is, I just feel that waving "Brent Out" placards without an alternative proposal doesn't sit right with me, ok to vent our frustration I suppose but that seems about all we can sum up
Back to top Go down
PatDunne

IF - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IF   IF - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 8:05 pm

Lets wave 'Brent stay in and carry on doing bugger all' cards then.
Back to top Go down

IF - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IF   IF - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 8:17 pm

PatDunne wrote:
Lets wave 'Brent stay in and carry on doing bugger all' cards then.

Why not, no different than "Brent out and doing bugger all about it"
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

IF - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IF   IF - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 8:59 pm

The reluctant one is reluctant to leave without making money out of his non investment.

Thank god the pension pot filling HHP non development scheme, was a predictable disaster.

Fingers crossed someone with some style and imagination, will one day spot the potential of PAFC and have a punt.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

IF - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IF   IF - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 9:36 pm

Graiser wrote:
Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:

Sheridan will only "sod off" if he has another job to go to, he needs dosh as much as the next man, and there is a lot of competition out there for management jobs.
Brent as usual will not make any decisions re the direction of the club apart from "balancing the books" it will all just drift aimlessly on whether we get promoted or not.
elephant
Back to top Go down

IF - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IF   IF - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2015 4:50 pm

Iggy wrote:
ejh wrote:
Sheridan should not be in a job if he fails to finish in the top 7 with this squad.

The fact Exeter are level on points with us despite losing their best player in January, generating £2million and having a transfer embargo throughout pre season just about says it all for me.

Absolutely embarrassing.

This squad has a twenty goal a season striker and another one on Bout ten (Lewi) the rest of the squad is shite, they have never scored regularly before now, now repeat after me, "you can't polish a turd."

So a player's quality in your eyes is all about how many goals they score for Argyle?

Let's face facts:
- We were over the moon when Lee Cox signed permanently. He was at Swindon at the top end of League One, but when the circumstances were right we beat other clubs to sign him.
- We were grateful to see the return of O' Connor after disastrous January form without him. He only signed until the end of the season because he knew he was League One quality.
- We have just seen Drew Talbot return to Chesterfield to start at League One level.
- Dominic Blizzard's previous season before signing for us was a successful League One playoff campaign.
- Bobby Reid's parent club are currently strolling through League One to the Championship.

These are the players you belittle as being 'cheap turds' for not scoring under Sheridan. Well maybe the common denominator IS Sheridan - his tactics, his philosophy, his style of play. Those five midfielders have played a fair bit at a higher level than the midtable of League Two. In the case of Olly Lee, Ansah and Anthony O'Connor, they were on loan from second tier sides.

These players are not crap - that much is certain. They just play in a system which relies overwhelmingly on pushing possession back to CBs and hoofing upfield for Reuben Reid to receive out of orbit and magically put in the net. The midfield has very little creative or goalscoring input because they are clearly not set up to venture forth into the opposition half, particularly away from home.

Time to start casting an eye over the guy managing the situation, rather than question the quality of the players. If you think Exeter have better quality, better paid midfielders then you must have a screw loose. The same goes for Newport, Stevenage - several bang average sides who are at good odds in five games time to have outperformed us with a poorer calibre of players.
Back to top Go down
swampy

IF - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IF   IF - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2015 4:59 pm

Post of the week
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

IF - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IF   IF - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2015 5:19 pm

Anyone who thinks Blizzard and cox are league 1 players must be truly deluded, they are bog standard fourth division Donkeys! shez is forced to sign these type of player along with untried youngsters because Jimmy Clueless puts the bare minimum of money into the club! Look at the bungling clowns handling of the loan situation at christmas? truly amatuerish! no wonder Shez looks dour and pissed off look at his working conditions! this time next year ejh will be blaming the next manager for another failed campaign, not his hero Green Jim.
Back to top Go down

IF - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IF   IF - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2015 5:46 pm

ejh wrote:

Absolutely embarrassing.

Come on then, which players exactly are underperfoming compared to previous clubs they have played at before Argyle?
Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

IF - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IF   IF - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2015 6:11 pm

The budget's not the best, but its an alright one. Certainly better than Newport's, Exeter's, Wycombe's, Stevenage's, yet they have outperformed us. Their managers have made the most of there budget and then some. Sheridan is the one who opt to sign mostly defensive minded midfielders. Suffered, if you genuinely believe Lee Cox is a League Two donkey, then you're more blinkered than those you criticise. EJH isn't making excuses for Brent, there's a clear culmination of feck ups from all over the club - Board room, coaches, players. A collective responsibility for why we will be playing in League Two next season and the damning position of this club. Likely the coaches won't be around next season to respond, many of the players will likely venture elsewhere and for some of those it'll be a great shame to see leave, unfortunately it appears we'll be stuck for the board however to see their sorry response - I can't wait... Earlybird anyone?
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

IF - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IF   IF - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2015 6:59 pm

SwimWithTheTide wrote:
The budget's not the best, but its an alright one. Certainly better than Newport's, Exeter's, Wycombe's, Stevenage's, yet they have outperformed us. Their managers have made the most of there budget and then some. Sheridan is the one who opt to sign mostly defensive minded midfielders. Suffered, if you genuinely believe Lee Cox is a League Two donkey, then you're more blinkered than those you criticise. EJH isn't making excuses for Brent, there's a clear culmination of feck ups from all over the club - Board room, coaches, players. A collective responsibility for why we will be playing in League Two next season and the damning position of this club. Likely the coaches won't be around next season to respond, many of the players will likely venture elsewhere and for some of those it'll be a great shame to see leave, unfortunately it appears we'll be stuck for the board however to see their sorry response - I can't wait... Earlybird anyone?
Argyle by all accounts are weak in midfield, cox is a regular in this below par midfield so calling him a donkey is slightly harsh, but he's certainly not top drawer! The main issue is the budget which is said to be between seventh and ninth best in the division ffs! yet the support is the third best? Also Sheridan is accused of being a part time manager because he lives in Manchester, yet no mention is made of the fact that Brent by his own admission only spends two day a month at home park? The problems are far deeper than the manager imo.
Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

IF - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IF   IF - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2015 8:18 pm

I agree with you about Brent and the harsh criticisms of Sheridan, but the former doesn't make the latter blameless. I also agree that Lee Cox has been disappointing in this second spell at the club, though I'd argue that's largely due to how he's been used. He's a defensive midfielder that previously worked best with us in a two man midfield alongside Hourihane. He allowed his midfield partner to get forward. However with O'Connor coming in and essentially performing that exact role, the expectation was on Cox to be greater at getting forward than his career and style of play has ever suggest he can be. Like how Sheridan has wrongly implement an attacking midfielder in Blizzard in a defensive role, he's tried to place a defensive midfielder in Cox in a more attacking role. The last time I saw Cox in the home game against Bury, I really thought he was diabolical, but his quality has shone through at times this season and we saw it consistently in his loan spell from Swindon in our survival season of the player he can be. Regardless of his performances this season, his career suggests his "value" is probably on par with that of an average League One player, he's not a conference cheapie or a bargain basement league two donkey. He was one of our first summer acquisitions and to use him as an example of Sheridan not having a good enough budget is just plain wrong. Sheridan built an unbalanced squad that put too much emphasis on defending, he knew his budget and judging from the calibre of players signed, its not as bad as many suggest. He just over invested it in one area.
Back to top Go down

IF - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IF   IF - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 10, 2015 2:10 pm

Top post there. Lee Cox was no cheap signing.

The problem is Sheridan has chopped and changed the midfield all season. And our three classiest midfielders - O'Connor, Cox and Talbot while he was here, are defensive midfielders. It fits in with Sheridan's obsession with defence, all his best signings and tactics are about strength in defence

Blizzard can play AM or DM but his slow languid style poses problems in either role.

Our only midfielder that can run at an opposition defence with confidence is Bobby Reid. When he is out of form we have no one. Not a single box to box presence that will drive forward, create space, get on the end of crosses and finish chances.

With regards to our wingers, our wingplay is virtually non existent. We had one outstanding performer in that department and woefully underused him. Because he couldn't defend or something.

When you are tearing into Lee Cox, bear in mind he has almost certainly not been given free reign to support Reuben, create, shoot and score. He has been told to use that stamina to close down attacks and screen the back 4. Against Pompey at home Cox clattered the crossbar from distance. Olly Lee is an exciting player who can shoot from range and threaten. These players are on Sheridan's bench and often played in defensive roles when on the pitch.

The players are not crap - A better manager could get so much more out of them. It is depressing to watch compared to before Christmas when Reid was on fire and the team worked. But I predicted since the very opening games of the season that the lack of midfield goals and creativity would cost us. You can't win every game of a 46 match season on the goalscoring of two players. Sheridan never rectified the situation in all this time and it has cost us.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

IF - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IF   IF - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

IF
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic :: Home Park :: The Mayflower-
Jump to: