Gareth Nicholson
Czarcasm
AstiSpumante
Dougie
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

Brentsville - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brentsville   Brentsville - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 28, 2015 10:44 am

What a waste if the Derrys story turns out to be true.

Soon the city centre of Plymouth will have nothing but Student flats, cafes, Polish markets and office buildings

Such a backwards thinking and acting city and always will be.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brentsville   Brentsville - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 28, 2015 11:34 am

Good to see Plymouth market on inside out last week bucking the trend of markets nationally and a credit to all involved, council and traders. However they highlighted the empty shops around Cornwall Street and the West end of town generally, the council are responsible for this as well in the form of business rate costs that are unaffordable to new startups and even a lot of established traders. The guy from the cas spares place is just treading water and has been for years whilst running a very busy shop as a case in point. The feckin council is like Brent, getting involved in big and bigger land deals, commercial opportunities like the civic centre whilst the city they are meant to be running is falling into decay.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brentsville   Brentsville - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 28, 2015 12:02 pm

Ikea
John Lewis
Greggs (dont laugh)
Krispy Kreme

these are just 4 retail outlets that make tidy profits and are popular in the areas. I am sure there are more that are not close or better in Plymouth... What was the famous quote from the man in charge off the city centre? "we dont need a john lewis in the city centre" lol
Back to top Go down
pilgrimfather

PostSubject: Re: Brentsville   Brentsville - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 28, 2015 1:44 pm

Businesses always take their time coming to Plymouth. I remember the first McDonalds didn't open in Plymouth until 1992 (now this would be a point of Civic Pride). The first one in Exeter opened in 1988.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Brentsville   Brentsville - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 28, 2015 2:12 pm

pilgrimfather wrote:
Businesses always take their time coming to Plymouth. I remember the first McDonalds didn't open in Plymouth until 1992 (now this would be a point of Civic Pride). The first one in Exeter opened in 1988.

The Premiership has taken quite awhile as well.
Back to top Go down
pilgrimfather

PostSubject: Re: Brentsville   Brentsville - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 28, 2015 2:33 pm

The Premiership doesn't exist anymore - that's how long it's taken.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Brentsville   Brentsville - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 28, 2015 3:51 pm

pilgrimfather wrote:

Thought there was one in town in mid 80s ?
Back to top Go down
pilgrimfather

PostSubject: Re: Brentsville   Brentsville - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 28, 2015 4:43 pm

No, not until 92. You may have been thinking of the Wimpy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Brentsville   Brentsville - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 28, 2015 8:49 pm

Angry wrote:
Ikea
John Lewis
Greggs (dont laugh)
Krispy Kreme

these are just 4 retail outlets that make tidy profits and are popular in the areas. I am sure there are more that are not close or better in Plymouth... What was the famous quote from the man in charge off the city centre? "we dont need a john lewis in the city centre" lol

I believe John Lewis said that they had no plans to put a store in Plymouth because there is no money here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brentsville   Brentsville - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 28, 2015 8:58 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
Angry wrote:
Ikea
John Lewis
Greggs (dont laugh)
Krispy Kreme

I believe John Lewis said that they had no plans to put a store in Plymouth because there is no money here.

Maybe now but back when the mall was being drawn up they were interested however the council were for a deal to suit them only so it fell through.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brentsville   Brentsville - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2015 3:11 pm

i see brents herald are starting the anti bretonside campaign

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Does raise the question what will the council do to help the tennants in bretonside who have to leave for the development to start though.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Brentsville   Brentsville - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2015 3:52 pm

Angry wrote:

Does raise the question what will the council do to help the tennants in bretonside who have to leave for the development to start though.

Cult shops like that have a specific loyal customer-base. They'll always buy from the same place, so long as the premises stay local. 25 years ago (gulp) a few of us even started to go up to a record shop in Exeter called Mighty Force to buy our vinyl because it always had the best and earliest releases when Acid House was at its peak. We used to go up there every couple of weeks thru most of the early 90's. Anyway, I digress. My point being, there ain't gonna be a shortage of competitive rates premises in Plymouth for this fella to choose from, and his customers will still be there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brentsville   Brentsville - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2015 4:17 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Angry wrote:

Cult shops like that have a specific loyal customer-base. They'll always buy from the same place, so long as the premises stay local. 25 years ago (gulp) a few of us even started to go up to a record shop in Exeter called Mighty Force to buy our vinyl because it always had the best and earliest releases when Acid House was at its peak. We used to go up there every couple of weeks thru most of the early 90's. Anyway, I digress. My point being, there ain't gonna be a shortage of competitive rates premises in Plymouth for this fella to choose from, and his customers will still be there.

That is true, i was thinking however as a result of forced eviction which it is in a way they will be accommodating with relocation and fees involved to help them set up again elsewhere in the city.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brentsville   Brentsville - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2015 5:07 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Angry wrote:

Mighty Force was a great shop, some good clothing as well
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brentsville   Brentsville - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Brentsville
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic :: Home Park :: The Mayflower-
Jump to: