mouldyoldgoat
Tgwu
Dick Trickle
Elias
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

dagenham match thread  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: dagenham match thread    dagenham match thread  - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 1:14 am

i wonder if the team are staying in London for the long weekend on the count we have Fleetwood on Tuesday night? Would have made sense too imo.
Back to top Go down
gasser9

PostSubject: Re: dagenham match thread    dagenham match thread  - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 1:50 am

Good to see Wotts back in the team if only as a stopgap measure. Was never blessed with a lot of pace if he was I am sure he could have played at a higher level. He reads the game well and brings some much needed passion to the team.
A great result after last weeks debacle.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: dagenham match thread    dagenham match thread  - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 2:07 am

League two is not ALL about pace though, and not EVERY single player needs sub 11 second 100m times.

Not biting your head off, but ever since Wotton came back the verdict has been 'he's not up to it anymore'. 'Bench player at best'.

Wotton brings a tremendous amount to the pitch.

A) He is physically, the hardest tackler at the club
B) He is aerially dominant - possibly above Trotman, abd only behind Branston. Definitely above Nelson and Blanchard.
C) He organises the team effectively.
D) Others work harder with him marshalling them.

He might have sluggish pace and little mobility but he is a great asset. I am surprised it has taken suspensions for Sheridan to realise it.
Back to top Go down
gasser9

PostSubject: Re: dagenham match thread    dagenham match thread  - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 2:57 am

I agree with you 100% ejh however I have a feeling he doesn't sit in JS's mind with the same level of enthusiasm as us.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: dagenham match thread    dagenham match thread  - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 7:49 am

ejh wrote:
League two is not ALL about pace though, and not EVERY single player needs sub 11 second 100m times.

Not biting your head off, but ever since Wotton came back the verdict has been 'he's not up to it anymore'. 'Bench player at best'.

A) He is physically,  the hardest tackler at the club
B) He is aerially dominant - possibly above Trotman, abd only behind Branston. Definitely above Nelson and Blanchard.

He might have sluggish pace and little mobility but he is a great asset. I am surprised it has taken suspensions for Sheridan to realise it.

"Has anyone taught him how to pass yet ?"........ Neil Warnock.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: dagenham match thread    dagenham match thread  - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 8:17 am

Some amusing takes on his ability from Saints fans when they were in league1 four years ago.

He was on 14k a week apparently, if one of them is quoting correctly.  Shocked 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: dagenham match thread    dagenham match thread  - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 9:41 am

I don't recall Wotton being described as "aerially dominant" before. I'd actually go as far to say that he's one of the worst centre backs I have ever seen when it comes to heading the ball.

The amazing thing is that our best XI probably has him in it, or at least it did for such a long time.

He's a bit like Old Shep now: old, knackered, slow, arthritic and totally unable to chase rabbits anymore but we still love him to bits and just can't contemplate the one way trip to the vet.

But I wasn't there yesterday and did not see the game so he might have been awesomely magnificent.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: dagenham match thread    dagenham match thread  - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 9:52 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
I don't recall Wotton being described as "aerially dominant" before. I'd actually go as far to say that he's one of the worst centre backs I have ever seen when it comes to heading the ball.

Yep. Even by his own admission heading the ball is the weakest part of his game. One of the factors in his conversion to a midfielder, I think.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: dagenham match thread    dagenham match thread  - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 10:36 am

Czarcasm wrote:
Some amusing takes on his ability from Saints fans when they were in league1 four years ago.

This sums up Wotton and Brent's Avivafest of a club for me :

if we are after comedians in the changing room, lets get in Frankie Boyle/Peter Kay/Jimmy Tarbuck for pre match and half time.

But wotton should be nowhere near our team, not even on the bench. He is truly awful. He can't even pass the thing sideways, let along anything else. Liability
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: dagenham match thread    dagenham match thread  - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 12:06 pm

ejh wrote:

A) He is physically,  the hardest tackler at the club

And he is also 36 and his legs have gone. While he maybe a useful squad player he isnt a week in and week out starter anymore and should call it a day at the end of the season and concentrate on his youth coaching role.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: dagenham match thread    dagenham match thread  - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 2:35 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

The amazing thing is that our best XI probably has him in it, or at least it did for such a long time.

He's a bit like Old Shep now: old, knackered, slow, arthritic and totally unable to chase rabbits anymore but we still love him to bits and just can't contemplate the one way trip to the vet.

But I wasn't there yesterday and did not see the game so he might have been awesomely magnificent.

He did ok....marshalled the defence quite well and kept them on their toes....not bad seeing he hasn't played for the first team for awhile...lasted the game out well.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: dagenham match thread    dagenham match thread  - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 4:27 pm

Argo winning, England beating the Irish and Shitty losing it was a good day unfortunately marred by the Gulls result. Have been talking up the Gull's chance of survival with my Torquay contacts since Chris Hargreaves and lee Hodges came in, but yesterday was as bad a result as possible.
Am now getting a bit worried about them being 5pts adrift. Would be a massive shame for our support also to lose one of the local derbies. Need a win boys u need a win!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: dagenham match thread    dagenham match thread  - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 6:18 pm

Highlights, good cross and finish for the second.  cheers 

Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: dagenham match thread    dagenham match thread  - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 7:51 pm

Dont be fooled dagenham had quite a few openings in the second half
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: dagenham match thread    dagenham match thread  - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 12:43 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

I don't agree with that at all - he rarely loses headers at this level. If you were comparing him to Graham Coughlan then I can see why you might think he wasn't/isn't strong, but Cocko was a colossus in the air. Wotton would win headers v the majority of this Argyle squad, excluding Branston and possibly Trotman. As I have seen Trotman have some bad aerial performances too.

As to why he was moved to midfield, midfields need tacklers, organisers and blood and snotters too. Wotton has been a major physical presence in that department.

He certainly wasn't moved into midfield for his playmaking or his passing. The one true weakness of his game is that he can't actually play football - he just stops football.

In all stages of Paul Wotton's career he has been doubted and criticised, his role and influence on the team underestimated. He comes back from oblivion and we win a tough away fixture after a 4-0 slamming at home, and he is still shit, good only for the reserves etc.

It will always, forever be thus.

Last edited by ejh on Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gasser9

PostSubject: Re: dagenham match thread    dagenham match thread  - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 12:48 pm

Tringreen wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

if we are after comedians in the changing room, lets get in Frankie Boyle/Peter Kay/Jimmy Tarbuck for pre match and half time.

But wotton should be nowhere near our team, not even on the bench. He is truly awful. He can't even pass the thing sideways, let along anything else. Liability

You dear old thing you never disappoint us do you, as we can always rely on you to spout your usual garbage.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: dagenham match thread    dagenham match thread  - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 1:07 pm

gasser9 wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

You dear old thing you never disappoint us do you, as we can always rely on you to spout your usual garbage.

Moi ? I was merely quoting Saint Stevo, my dear old thing . Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: dagenham match thread    dagenham match thread  - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 3:50 pm

st steveo from 2006 though.

how do you remember all these gems you come up with from the other side? i can hardly remember what im talking
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: dagenham match thread    dagenham match thread  - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 3:51 pm

about now Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: dagenham match thread    dagenham match thread  - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

dagenham match thread
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3