+4
akagreengull
harvetheslayer
Tgwu
Grovehill
8 posters
AuthorMessage

lewis macleod signs Empty
PostSubject: lewis macleod signs   lewis macleod signs EmptyMon Aug 17, 2020 6:57 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

from the link wrote:
Argyle manager Ryan Lowe has bolstered his midfield options with the signing of former Rangers and Scotland under-21 international Lewis Macleod.

The former Gers prodigy, 26, joins the club as a free agent, and met up with his new teammates on their pre-season training camp in Scotland before signing on to become the Pilgrims' fifth signing of the summer.

Adept in the holding role and in more advanced positions, Macleod left Sky Bet Championship side Wigan Athletic in the summer, but he is perhaps best known for his spell at Ibrox, where he was an influential member of the team which rose back through the Scottish leagues post financial crisis, earning him a move to Brentford for a reported seven-figure fee in 2015.

Macleod began his association with Rangers at ten years of age, and impressed through the age groups, for both club and country, before signing pro terms in 2012.

Macleod’s form for the youth and reserve sides secured a first-team opportunity in his first pro season, which he snatched with both hands. Lewis nailed down a regular position in the heart of midfield and was swiftly rewarded with a five-year deal early in a campaign which culminated in the Third Division title for his team, and the Young Player of the Year award for himself.

Lewis’ form continued at a higher level, and he began life with Rangers in Scottish League One by scoring four goals in seven appearances, including a spectacular overhead kick in a 2-0 victory over Ayr United in October 2013, before a peculiar viral infection kept him sidelined as the club raced to back-to-back promotions and into the Scottish Championship.

Macleod marked his return to full health in style, beginning the season in Scotland’s second tier with four goals in his opening four games, and that purple patch was extended to see him win Scotland’s Young Player of the Month award for October – a month in which he netted a stunning bicycle kick that would go on to win the Rangers' Goal of the Season award, as well as a first call-up to Scotland’s senior squad.

A couple of months later, Macleod moved south of the border to join the Bees, but an injury sustained towards the tail-end of his time at Rangers delayed a competitive debut for the west London club until the following season.

After a stop-start four years at Griffin Park, Macleod moved on to fellow Championship side Wigan Athletic for the 2019-20 campaign, where he made 12 appearances.

Lewis will wear the no.16 shirt ahead of the Greens’ 20/21 Sky Bet League One campaign.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: lewis macleod signs   lewis macleod signs EmptyMon Aug 17, 2020 7:00 pm

Truly underwhelmed-see my post on Rumours
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: lewis macleod signs   lewis macleod signs EmptyMon Aug 17, 2020 7:26 pm

Grovehill wrote:

i replied there Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: lewis macleod signs   lewis macleod signs EmptyMon Aug 17, 2020 10:22 pm

Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: lewis macleod signs   lewis macleod signs EmptyTue Aug 18, 2020 6:33 am

Grovehill wrote:

We're under a financial cap now Grovey not only Covid related but also the official one.....
We aint gonna be signing £5,000 a week players even if Hallett wanted to sanction them
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: lewis macleod signs   lewis macleod signs EmptyTue Aug 18, 2020 8:34 am

I will trust  RL on this signing, clearly with the resources available Ryan is going for as strong a midfield as possible, to continue the pass it around, spray the ball about from midfield style of play. However the keeper situation still seriously concerns me.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: lewis macleod signs   lewis macleod signs EmptyTue Aug 18, 2020 9:22 am

Could be a good signing, if he stays fit- but looks to have had lengthy spells out through much of his career. Lowe is a good mate of Paul Cook (Ex Wigan manager) who allowed Argyle to train at Wigan's training facilities last season on a couple of our trips north. I guess Lowe would have spoken to Cook about MacLeod and how fit he is?
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: lewis macleod signs   lewis macleod signs EmptyTue Aug 18, 2020 10:33 am

Would have thought Paul Cook and Ryan Lowe would have had a frank, no bullshit manager type chat, about how fit the guy is. Lowe strikes me as being a fairly shrewd type, but then all managers like to think they are.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: lewis macleod signs   lewis macleod signs EmptyTue Aug 18, 2020 10:38 am

Chemical Ali wrote:
Could be a good signing, if he stays fit- but looks to have had lengthy spells out through much of his career. Lowe is a good mate of Paul Cook (Ex Wigan manager) who allowed Argyle to train at Wigan's training facilities last season on a couple of our trips north. I guess Lowe would have spoken to Cook about MacLeod and how fit he is?

I dont think it was a case of his fitness being the reason for his lack of football at Wigan i think it was more to do with him not being in paul cook's plans which happens.
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: lewis macleod signs   lewis macleod signs EmptyTue Aug 18, 2020 4:02 pm

akagreengull wrote:
I will trust  RL on this signing, clearly with the resources available Ryan is going for as strong a midfield as possible, to continue the pass it around, spray the ball about from midfield style of play. However the keeper situation still seriously concerns me.
deeply concerning the keeper situation should have pulled out all stops to sign A Palmer or a Matthews
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: lewis macleod signs   lewis macleod signs EmptyTue Aug 18, 2020 6:56 pm

Cooper is very highly rated by everybody at the club. He isn’t a kid any more, so if we want to bring him to the next level you don’t do that by always bringing in someone over his head. It’s his chance now. He’ll either sink or swim. Hopefully he’s tied down to a decent enough contract that if he swims like an Olympian, Argyle can make serious wedge on him in a year or two.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: lewis macleod signs   lewis macleod signs EmptyTue Aug 18, 2020 7:01 pm

I dont think it was a case of his fitness being the reason for his lack of football at Wigan i think it was more to do with him not being in paul cook's plans which happens.[/quote]

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense apart from two minor points:

1. Paul Cook signed him for Wigan

2. Paul Cook is not the Wigan Manager any more.

Other than that, a spot on post.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: lewis macleod signs   lewis macleod signs EmptyTue Aug 18, 2020 7:05 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Cooper is very highly rated by everybody at the club. He isn’t a kid any more, so if we want to bring him to the next level you don’t do that by always bringing in someone over his head. It’s his chance now. He’ll either sink or swim. Hopefully he’s tied down to a decent enough contract that if he swims like an Olympian, Argyle can make serious wedge on him in a year or two.  

i tend to take it with a pinch of salt when the club or its fans highly rate a player as in recent years as most of the time the players they have claimed that on are now in non league football or out of football completely.  
In Cooper's case most keepers dont produce their best till they hit mid 20's.

Last edited by Angry on Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: lewis macleod signs   lewis macleod signs EmptyTue Aug 18, 2020 9:36 pm

RegGreen wrote:
akagreengull wrote:
deeply concerning the keeper situation should have pulled out all stops to sign A Palmer or a Matthews
Yep.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: lewis macleod signs   lewis macleod signs EmptyTue Aug 18, 2020 10:33 pm

A lot of Coopers success will depend on our defence, if they are solid then he shouldn't have much to do, pull off a few decent saves get some confidence and build from there. If we get cut apart at the back and he starts with a few hammerings it won't help him. I think he can step up but that all depends on how the lads at the back play and that worries me more tbh.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: lewis macleod signs   lewis macleod signs Empty

Back to top Go down

lewis macleod signs
Page 1 of 1