The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Live music again at the (ABC)Reel Cinema

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

Live music again at the (ABC)Reel Cinema Empty
PostSubject: Live music again at the (ABC)Reel Cinema   Live music again at the (ABC)Reel Cinema EmptyTue Feb 14, 2017 4:51 pm

Casa // The Cinema Rave // 11.03.17

For one night only, Casa have been given permission to host a very special party in Screen 1 of a closed Reel Cinema, Plymouth. The old ABC theatre. The last time this venue was used for music was in 1967 when The Beatles held 2 sold out shows here. 50 years later, we take this historic building back to its roots, only this time, with House and Techno.

Saturday 11th March 2017 // REEL CINEMA
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Live music again at the (ABC)Reel Cinema   Live music again at the (ABC)Reel Cinema EmptyTue Feb 14, 2017 6:15 pm

You goin' Big T.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Live music again at the (ABC)Reel Cinema   Live music again at the (ABC)Reel Cinema EmptyTue Feb 14, 2017 7:11 pm

Memories memories............................. saw the Beatles and Stones there in 64/5, Millie et al. It was the circuit. . And then Keith Emerson/Elton John etc much later after the club/uni circuit had died down. Some of the smaller support bands stayed at our gaff just up the road. That was amusing.
Shame Gus and Stirling can't do a Westward reunion next door.
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: Live music again at the (ABC)Reel Cinema   Live music again at the (ABC)Reel Cinema EmptyTue Feb 14, 2017 10:55 pm

Never saw the Beatles as I had school the next day. Bugger!
Managed to catch Cilla and a young brash Tom Jones who started with It's not unusual and ended with It's not unusual. That was around 1965.
As my musical taste developed (or not) I had moved on to Deep Purple, ELP and Supertramp. All performed brilliantly at the ABC Royal as it was known.
I seem to recall Peter Van Dyke being the promotor but might be wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Live music again at the (ABC)Reel Cinema   Live music again at the (ABC)Reel Cinema EmptyFri Feb 24, 2017 4:19 pm

All before my time but the thing about that era that stands out for me is that everybody played everywhere all the time often on a bizarrely mixed bill so you might have The Rolling Stones with Helen Shapiro, Freddie & The Dreamers, Val Doonican, PJ Proby and The Velvet Underground (or wotevs) on the same bill.

On the whole I think this was a good thing. It gave plenty of opportunity for lesser acts to play with named acts in front of decentish sized audiences, they honed their craft as they went and as they improved they were promoted up the bill.

One such example was Slade. I saw them many years after their heyday way down the bill at Monsters Of Rock (now renamed Download, I believe) and they were quite simply sensational. In fact they stole the show completely and only AC/DC, who headlined, came close. I would have really loved to see them just before they hit the real big time at somewhere like the ABC or The Cooperage.

The massive shows we tend to see nowadays just aren't the same as seeing some bunch of roughnecks in a small, sticky carpeted, sweaty venue.

Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
PatDunne

PostSubject: Re: Live music again at the (ABC)Reel Cinema   Live music again at the (ABC)Reel Cinema EmptyFri Feb 24, 2017 5:37 pm

Saw Slade at that gig, they were great.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Live music again at the (ABC)Reel Cinema   Live music again at the (ABC)Reel Cinema EmptyFri Feb 24, 2017 5:59 pm

Highlight for me was Chuck Berry
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Live music again at the (ABC)Reel Cinema   Live music again at the (ABC)Reel Cinema EmptyFri Feb 24, 2017 6:01 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
All before my time but the thing about that era that stands out for me is that everybody played everywhere all the time often on a bizarrely mixed bill so you might have The Rolling Stones with Helen Shapiro, Freddie & The Dreamers, Val Doonican, PJ Proby and The Velvet Underground (or wotevs) on the same bill.

On the whole I think this was a good thing. It gave plenty of opportunity for lesser acts to play with named acts in front of decentish sized audiences, they honed their craft as they went and as they improved they were promoted up the bill.

One such example was Slade. I saw them many years after their heyday way down the bill at Monsters Of Rock (now renamed Download, I believe) and they were quite simply sensational. In fact they stole the show completely and only AC/DC, who headlined, came close. I would have really loved to see them just before they hit the real big time at somewhere like the ABC or The Cooperage.

The massive shows we tend to see nowadays just aren't the same as seeing some bunch of roughnecks in a small, sticky carpeted, sweaty venue.

This ^
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Live music again at the (ABC)Reel Cinema   Live music again at the (ABC)Reel Cinema Empty

Back to top Go down

Live music again at the (ABC)Reel Cinema
Page 1 of 1