Les Miserable
sufferedsince 68
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exeter league 1 relegation thread.   Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 EmptyMon Apr 17, 2023 4:50 pm

Grace Less wrote:
Grudging congratulations from here, too. I do wonder about what will happen next season when If all goes according to plan at your end you need to recruit players of the calibre that will probably be needed to keep you in the Championship. Interesting post by your "owner" in the Financial Times in November suggested that the purse string are not as freely loosened as they might once have been - especially as he's divested himself of some of the onus to a group of New York financiers. Saturday was, in any case not as clear cut as I suspect some of the green supporters would have liked.
I empathise with the sentiments expressed in Hugh's second paragraph

We're not up yet and still have five big games to go, one which is against the gas - that won't be an easy one. The run-in is favourable though and only the manager and team can do it, or screw it up.

If we go up in automatic, then fair shout. If it is the Play-Offs, then I am not so sure.

Have to give credit to City for efforts this season, they have done much better than what I thought they would.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Exeter league 1 relegation thread.   Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 EmptyMon Apr 17, 2023 4:53 pm

Grace Less wrote:
Grudging congratulations from here, too. I do wonder about what will happen next season when If all goes according to plan at your end you need to recruit players of the calibre that will probably be needed to keep you in the Championship. Interesting post by your "owner" in the Financial Times in November suggested that the purse string are not as freely loosened as they might once have been - especially as he's divested himself of some of the onus to a group of New York financiers. Saturday was, in any case not as clear cut as I suspect some of the green supporters would have liked.

No question if the current squad was in situ for next season then relegation would automatically follow were promotion to be achieved-Argyle fans of a certain vintage would be very aware of that having seen the club essentially struggle [with some exceptions] in previous spells in the second tier. There is a gap, not an unbridgeable or impossible one by any means but substantial nonetheless, which will need investment in the playing squad to overcome even for survival to be attained. The current season has been fairly profitable with regular sell outs and the money from the cup run in the bank-that may be of help in attracting some better players and the big gates that Argyle will get in the first season should give some advantage over teams who attract lesser attendances, although that has not necessarily been the case in the past. Mr Hallett has acknowledged that he is not capable of financing the club to the extent of making it competitive in the upper echelons of the second division and it will be interesting to see if the US personnel brought in by him turn out to be genuinely concerned about the clubs playing fortunes or to be mere property developing paper tigers.

Not that any chickens are being counted as regards promotion of course-lots of twists and turns to go yet.

Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Exeter league 1 relegation thread.   Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 EmptyMon Apr 17, 2023 7:59 pm

Grace Less wrote:

IF we go up i think we will be in for a very rough ride maybe become a yo yo club while we adjust to getting the squad to championship standard which at the moment its not and that wont be fixed with summer signings or even January add ons. I wouldn't be pissed about that myself providing we break the cycle and become an established championship club again but in a far better position on and off the field to sustain it.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Exeter league 1 relegation thread.   Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 EmptySat Apr 29, 2023 4:18 pm

Exeter now 6 down.

I wonder if their prick of a manager will claim that city were the better team.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  affraid

Now an officially semi retired old fart! bounce
Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: Exeter league 1 relegation thread.   Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 EmptyMon May 01, 2023 3:56 pm

mouldyoldgoat wrote:
Exeter now 6 down.

As someone who suffered year after year of Tisdale's (still unemployed) stultifying tactics I'm quite prepared to give him a season whereby his management team can bring in players of choice. Before slagging Caldwell, you might notice that City's previous boss isn't exactly pulling up trees at Rotherham.

Tis a shame that Mouldyoldscrote appears to be aping Suffy's tedious drivel Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Exeter league 1 relegation thread.   Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 EmptyMon May 01, 2023 6:06 pm

Nothing of the sort. I am just pointing out that after the Argyle game he said that city was the better team which obviously they weren’t because they lost. As for tiswas I really don’t give a feck what he is doing as long as he is nowhere near Argyle.

I am an Argyle supporter but I always look to see how city and united are doing because 3 successful clubs in Devon can only be good for the region.

Many years ago I saw a minibus at a local supermarket with Exeter flags pull in and as the occupants got off I shouted out ‘green army’. I got lots of abuse but I still went over and wished them luck.

Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Exeter league 1 relegation thread.   Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 EmptyMon May 01, 2023 7:33 pm

Hugh Midde wrote:
mouldyoldgoat wrote:
Exeter now 6 down.

As someone who suffered year after year of Tisdale's (still unemployed) stultifying tactics I'm quite prepared to give him a season whereby his management team can bring in players of choice. Before slagging Caldwell, you might notice that City's previous boss isn't exactly pulling up trees at Rotherham.

Tis a shame that Mouldyoldscrote appears to be aping Suffy's tedious drivel Wink Wink

Tbf, he’s overachieving keeping Rotherham in the Championship, the same as Caldwell is keeping u in league1.
Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: Exeter league 1 relegation thread.   Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 EmptyTue May 02, 2023 6:47 pm

mouldyoldgoat wrote:
......I am an Argyle supporter but I always look to see how city and united are doing because 3 successful clubs in Devon can only be good for the region.

Are we so very different Mr Moulder? Sometime ago on these pages I mentioned my time as a young soldier serving 2.5 years in Sarawak/Borneo all because General Sukarno the Indonesian head honcho was acting up on account of Malaya morphing into Malaysia. During that time the government kindly (while taxing us fully) issued us the overseas editions of the daily Sketch all bound up to resemble the yellow pages. During those days before the Internet we fans didn't really have the means to insult each other which is why, thanks to the Sketch, I also wanted all three Devon teams to do well.
Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: Exeter league 1 relegation thread.   Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 EmptyTue May 02, 2023 7:08 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
mouldyoldgoat wrote:
Exeter now 6 down.

Tbf, he’s overachieving keeping  Rotherham in the Championship, the same as Caldwell is keeping u in league1.

You better get your skates on Mr C if your gonna beat that arch charlatan to the next Exeter league 1 relegation thread Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Exeter league 1 relegation thread.   Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 EmptyTue May 02, 2023 7:16 pm

Hugh Midde wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
mouldyoldgoat wrote:
Exeter now 6 down.

Tbf, he’s overachieving keeping  Rotherham in the Championship, the same as Caldwell is keeping u in league1.

You better get your skates on Mr C if your gonna beat that arch charlatan to the next Exeter league 1 relegation thread Very Happy Very Happy

It’s true though innit? The odd year or so that u get in the third tier is classed as major success. At the end of next season Argyle will have spent 41 years in Tier 2.
Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: Exeter league 1 relegation thread.   Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 EmptySun May 07, 2023 4:51 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
Grace Less wrote:

We're not up yet and still have five big games to go, one which is against the gas - that won't be an easy one. The run-in is favourable though and only the manager and team can do it, or screw it up.

If we go up in automatic, then fair shout. If it is the Play-Offs, then I am not so sure.

Have to give credit to City for efforts this season, they have done much better than what I thought they would.

You would have to be vindictive beyond belief not to congratulate PAFC on finishing the season as league champions. In all honesty I found it very impressive. Good to see that ECFC managed to defy ATD's 'Mystic Mug's prediction of crashing back into div 2 - doubtlessly the same thread (Mk3) or something similar will reappear next season. Very Happy

In the meantime I imagine your band of loanees will be packing their cases and heading home leaving Schumy with the task of picking a pocket or two or back to sniffing around the prem for a capable half dozen (or more) to replace those that done you proud.

Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Exeter league 1 relegation thread.   Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 EmptySun May 07, 2023 5:26 pm

Pah.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Exeter league 1 relegation thread.   Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 EmptySun May 07, 2023 5:30 pm

Hugh Midde wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:
Grace Less wrote:

You would have to be vindictive beyond belief not to congratulate PAFC on finishing the season as league champions. In all honesty I found it very impressive. Good to see that ECFC managed to defy ATD's 'Mystic Mug's prediction of crashing back into div 2 - doubtlessly the same thread (Mk3) or something similar will reappear next season. Very Happy  

In the meantime I imagine your band of loanees will be packing their cases and heading home leaving Schumy with the task of picking a pocket or two or back to sniffing around the prem for a capable half dozen (or more) to replace those that done you proud.  

guess thats as close to a congratulations for winning the league on the last day of the season, something we screwed up doing last year as we will get Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: Exeter league 1 relegation thread.   Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 EmptyMon May 08, 2023 6:33 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Pah.

Fascinating..
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Exeter league 1 relegation thread.   Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 EmptyMon May 08, 2023 7:41 pm

one year ago today exeter city failed to seal the league two title at home on the final game of the season.

proof that winning the league on the final game of the season isnt for everyone
Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: Exeter league 1 relegation thread.   Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 EmptyFri Jun 02, 2023 2:27 pm

Hugh Midde wrote:
........meanwhile as the season draws ever closer to it's conclusion, all your loanees must be thinking of packing their suitcases and heading home which might cause some sleepless nights as a weakened team next season might just come a cropper in the vastly superior Championship.

As a Greek I'm not fully up to date as to whether Argyle managed to sign any of those loanees that served you so splendidly or that they simply handed in their shirts and left? Meanwhile is there any news as to whether Schuey might be off elsewhere? Leeds or Leicester might just throw their hats in the ring. The honest truth is I'm a mite worried that should he depart you'll end up sniffing around Gary Caldwell Sad Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Exeter league 1 relegation thread.   Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 EmptyFri Jun 02, 2023 3:29 pm

No chance of that! He is all yours.

Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: Exeter league 1 relegation thread.   Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 EmptySun Jun 04, 2023 12:25 pm

mouldyoldgoat wrote:
No chance of that! He is all yours.

Caldwell went under the ATD microscope when he took over from Matt Taylor during the last week of October which leaves little time for any new manager to attempt to fashion a team as he would like - it didn't help matters when his leading scorer was charged for using fisticuffs against a young lady in a drunken attack. Caldwell was twice at Hibs but only as the assistant manager. Partick Thistle or as Billy Connolly called them, "Partick Thistle nil" met with little success as did his time at Chesterfield.

I suppose his 'piece de resistance' was becoming manager at Wigan with the club 23rd in the Championship with five games left he was unable to save the club from relegation, however, the following season he not only guided Wigan to the league title but promotion back into the Championship. Unfortunately he was unable to keep them there which goes to show that div1 champions mightn't necessarily hack it in the noticeably superior second tier.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Exeter league 1 relegation thread.   Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 EmptySun Jun 04, 2023 12:38 pm

I have no illusions about how hard it will be in the Championship. We just need to stay up and get a few seasons under our belt.

Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Exeter league 1 relegation thread.   Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 EmptyMon Jun 05, 2023 1:43 pm

EXETER CITY’S EARLY BIRD SEASON TICKET RECORD SALES June 5, 2023

Exeter City have announced record season ticket sales during the early bird offer period. City fans have shown a vote of confidence in Gary Caldwell and his team ahead of the new 2023/24 season. A number of home games last season were sold out in the home areas, and in particular the seated stands sold out before games, no doubt fans were not wanting to miss out.

A record total of 3⃣2⃣2⃣0⃣ early bird season tickets were snapped up for the 2⃣3⃣/2⃣4⃣ season beating last year's total by 1⃣2⃣0⃣!
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Exeter league 1 relegation thread.   Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 EmptyMon Jun 05, 2023 3:24 pm

Tgwu wrote:
EXETER CITY’S EARLY BIRD SEASON TICKET RECORD SALES  June 5, 2023  

Exeter City have announced record season ticket sales during the early bird offer period. City fans have shown a vote of confidence in Gary Caldwell and his team ahead of the new 2023/24 season. A number of home games last season were sold out in the home areas, and in particular the seated stands sold out before games, no doubt fans were not wanting to miss out.
A record total of 3⃣2⃣2⃣0⃣ early bird season tickets were snapped up for the 2⃣3⃣/2⃣4⃣ season beating last year's total by 1⃣2⃣0⃣!

Awwww, bless.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Exeter league 1 relegation thread.   Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 EmptyMon Jun 05, 2023 3:50 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Tgwu wrote:

Awwww, bless.

thats almost full capacity for them!!!!
Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: Exeter league 1 relegation thread.   Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 EmptyTue Jun 06, 2023 11:54 am

confused
Awwww, bless. [/quote]

The capacity at St. James park is 8,219 which is pretty small potatoes compared to Argyle's 17,900, 17,511, 16,388 scratch scratch scratch I recall my dear old Dad telling me he was up the park in the late 30's when the gate against Sunderland was 21,000 plus - must have been a tight squeeze. Some years ago I recall talk about moving out of the City but many fans seemed happy to leave things as they were.

I suppose the biggest cross to bear in the city is when you have the top most team in Devon on your doorstep who won the Anglo-Welsh/Premiership Rugby Cup three times. Premiership Rugby Champions 2016/17, 2019-20, and became European Rugby Champions in October 2019-20 when beating Racing 92 of Paris.

While in the past we chose to remain small, your capacity of 17,900, 17,511, 16,388 confused is even smaller potatoes when compared to Sheffield Wednesday's 39,732 or proposed 44,825. Wink
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Exeter league 1 relegation thread.   Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 07, 2023 9:06 pm

Tgwu wrote:

Vote of confidence in Gary Payoff lol, three thousand season tickets is fookin sad even by Exeters terrible standards,Wigan on minus eight points will still finish twenty in front of the Bus Shelter boys.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Exeter league 1 relegation thread.   Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 21, 2023 4:03 pm

i see the greeks are all excited they managed to get a deal with adidas to make their gear and new shirt sponsors....

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exeter league 1 relegation thread.   Exeter league 1 relegation thread. - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Exeter league 1 relegation thread.
Page 11 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next