Sir Francis Drake
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Gene Wilder RIP Empty
PostSubject: Gene Wilder RIP   Gene Wilder RIP EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 9:04 am

Another glorious talent has left us.

Willie Wonka, Blazing Saddles, The Producers, Young Frankenstein, EYAWTKAS (BWATA)...

Listening to a tribute on the radio earlier they said he only ever made 27 films which is astonishingly few but amongst that 27 there's some real corkers. For me his Willie was the stand out performance but there's others that are right up there and it's all a matter of personal preference.

Anyway the thought struck me that he has a very, very high classics percentage by which I mean that simply by seeing his name on a cast means that the film is likely to be worth watching. If you compare to somebody like Michael Caine, who has a similar number of brilliant films behind him but has starred in dozens of turkeys, Wilder's percentage of good ones is far higher. Maybe the highest? (Caine's must be just about the lowest!)

So if not Gene Wilder who has made the highest proprtion of decent films in his back catalogue?

I suppose James Dean must be in with a shout but he only ever made 3 films so maybe a 10 film minimum is needed to filter out the one hit wonders (who probably deserve a thread of their own).
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

Gene Wilder RIP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gene Wilder RIP   Gene Wilder RIP EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 9:13 am

Loved Stir Crazy, hilarious. RIP
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Gene Wilder RIP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gene Wilder RIP   Gene Wilder RIP EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 10:22 am

Some classic stuff from GW over the years, remember literally pissing myself with laughter at the blind man/monster scene in Young Frankenstein.

RIP Gene
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

Gene Wilder RIP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gene Wilder RIP   Gene Wilder RIP EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 1:22 pm

A very funny man ..brilliant in young frankenstein with Marty Feldman
The luggage gag in YF...when the two girls arrived gene tells marty get the bags..he replys
Ok you have her & i have blonde lol priceless genes facial expression another great comic taken ..RIP Gene
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Gene Wilder RIP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gene Wilder RIP   Gene Wilder RIP EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 1:41 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Willie Wonka, Blazing Saddles, The Producers, Young Frankenstein, EYAWTKAS (BWATA)...

Listening to a tribute on the radio earlier they said he only ever made 27 films which is astonishingly few but amongst that 27 there's some real corkers. For me his Willie was the stand out performance but there's others that are right up there and it's all a matter of personal preference.

Anyway the thought struck me that he has a very, very high classics percentage by which I mean that simply by seeing his name on a cast means that the film is likely to be worth watching. If you compare to somebody like Michael Caine, who has a similar number of brilliant films behind him but has starred in dozens of turkeys, Wilder's percentage of good ones is far higher. Maybe the highest? (Caine's must be just about the lowest!)

So if not Gene Wilder who has made the highest proprtion of decent films in his back catalogue?

I suppose James Dean must be in with a shout but he only ever made 3 films so maybe a 10 film minimum is needed to filter out the one hit wonders (who probably deserve a thread of their own).

Not Oscar winning performances but Harrison Ford has got to be up there in terms of Box Office Hits with the Star Wars trilogies and Indiana Jones amongst others.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

Gene Wilder RIP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gene Wilder RIP   Gene Wilder RIP EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 3:00 pm

RIP Gene Wilder, a great comic actor.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

Gene Wilder RIP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gene Wilder RIP   Gene Wilder RIP EmptyWed Aug 31, 2016 11:48 am

I don't recall Paul Newman having too many turkeys. His great films would include Somebody up there likes me, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Exodus, The Hustler, Hud, Cool Hand Luke, Butch Cassidy, The Sting, The Verdict, Road to Perdition. There's a few I've missed no doubt.

Newman always played proper men, Steve McQueen was another.

Wilder was hilarious and was brilliant at playing angst ridden, manic depressives. It was interesting to read that he never got on well with Richard Pryor. You'd never guess seeing them together on screen.
Back to top Go down

Gene Wilder RIP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gene Wilder RIP   Gene Wilder RIP EmptyWed Aug 31, 2016 12:09 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Not Oscar winning performances but Harrison Ford has got to be up there in terms of Box Office Hits with the Star Wars trilogies and Indiana Jones amongst others.

Speaking of Harrison Ford

Have you ever seen the Star Wars Holiday special? Its on youtube if you fancy some real, What the feck Have I Just Watched action.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

Gene Wilder RIP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gene Wilder RIP   Gene Wilder RIP EmptyWed Aug 31, 2016 9:20 pm

RIP the Waco Kid
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

Gene Wilder RIP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gene Wilder RIP   Gene Wilder RIP EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 11:19 am

A very funny man, RIP.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gene Wilder RIP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gene Wilder RIP   Gene Wilder RIP Empty

Back to top Go down

Gene Wilder RIP
Page 1 of 1