steveinspain
Greenskin
paulysalz
11 posters
AuthorMessage
paulysalz

I think it's me Empty
PostSubject: I think it's me   I think it's me EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 6:34 pm

Please accept my apologies, but after yesterday's trip to Carlisle I have decided that the blame for all Argyle's troubles over the past few years must rest with me.

As a Leeds-based supporter, I only get to about 5-10 games per season, but today I worked out that it is now 7 years and 47 matches since I have seen us win (at home vs Nottingham Forest - Sept 2008!). In addition, I was there at Watford, York, Stourbridge, Dorchester and Carlisle, probably the five worst performances ever by Argyle.

You'll be pleased to hear that I have decided against Shrewsbury.

I'm sorry Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

I think it's me Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think it's me   I think it's me EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 6:37 pm

We will have an albatross shot the next time you board a vessel to watch argyle for luck.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

I think it's me Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think it's me   I think it's me EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 8:11 pm

paulysalz wrote:
Please accept my apologies, but after yesterday's trip to Carlisle I have decided that the blame for all Argyle's troubles over the past few years must rest with me.

As a Leeds-based supporter, I only get to about 5-10 games per season, but today I worked out that it is now 7 years and 47 matches since I have seen us win (at home vs Nottingham Forest - Sept 2008!). In addition, I was there at Watford, York, Stourbridge, Dorchester and Carlisle, probably the five worst performances ever by Argyle.

When I used to attend a fair few Argyle away matches, i once went through a spell of 26 years between seeing Argyle win a league game in London! lol! Can't remember the exact details, i think the first win may have been at Brentford circa 1980 and the next one was when Holloway was in charge at Palace in 2006.Didn't attend every London match in that time of course but there were quite a few at places like Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham, QPR, Charlton, Fulham, Orient, Millwall, Barnet, just about every club except Spurs actually. Pretty shocking but at least the jinx was broken for the Wembley play off final.
Back to top Go down
steveinspain

steveinspain

I think it's me Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think it's me   I think it's me EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 10:20 pm

paulysalz wrote:

Can you go and support Luton for the next 2 matches?
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

I think it's me Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think it's me   I think it's me EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 10:33 pm

And Shrewsbury!

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

I think it's me Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think it's me   I think it's me EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 10:53 pm

mouldyoldgoat wrote:
And Shrewsbury!

Bit difficult to be in two places at the same time..... raised eyebrow
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

I think it's me Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think it's me   I think it's me EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 11:36 pm

How about in spirit? Very Happy

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

I think it's me Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think it's me   I think it's me EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 12:03 am

If Phil Collins can perform in london and LA on the sameday he can go to 45mins of both games and do his duty.
Back to top Go down

I think it's me Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think it's me   I think it's me EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 8:24 am

I haven't seen us beat Leeds in about thirty years, thinking about it I don't think anybody has.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

I think it's me Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think it's me   I think it's me EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 9:46 am

I was going to say that I saw us beat Leeds 6-3 in the late eighties (but that is almost 30 years ago). Watched us lose 2-1 at elland road 2005 ish under blobby- Aaron Lennon destroyed us that day.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

I think it's me Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think it's me   I think it's me EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 9:54 am

Iggy wrote:
I haven't seen us beat Leeds in about thirty years, thinking about it I don't think anybody has.

It hasn't happened for many years, maybe since the late 1980's. When we were last in the CCC, Argyle had six attempts at beating Leeds and failed the lot. The odd thing was that at times Argyle had a better side than Leeds, yet still lost to them-a manifestation of the Argyle v big club mentality perhaps?
Back to top Go down

I think it's me Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think it's me   I think it's me EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 10:16 am

Yep, remember them all well, one of my best mates is a dirty leedo so I'm not allowed to forget. They did the double on us when they were in free fall through the leagues and we we going up with our dream team.
Back to top Go down

I think it's me Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think it's me   I think it's me EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 10:17 am

Chemical Ali wrote:
I was going to say that I saw us beat Leeds 6-3 in the late eighties (but that is almost 30 years ago). Watched us lose 2-1 at elland road 2005 ish under blobby- Aaron Lennon destroyed us that day.

Zackly, we're old mate. I do remember a 6 0 or a 6 1 to us years ago though.
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

I think it's me Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think it's me   I think it's me EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 11:06 am

Angry wrote:
If Phil Collins can perform in london and LA on the sameday he can go to 45mins of both games and do his duty.

A bit of useless info and not meaning to p**s on your parade but it was, with the aid of Concorde, London and Philadelphia. He performed with Led Zepplin in Philly and was so hopeless that Plant, Page and Jones have never forgiven him.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

I think it's me Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think it's me   I think it's me EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 11:46 am

I have never seen us win a game which we've been losing. My first Argyle game was in about 1992.
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

I think it's me Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think it's me   I think it's me EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 12:56 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Iggy wrote:

It hasn't happened for many years, maybe since the late 1980's. When we were last in the CCC, Argyle had six attempts at beating Leeds and failed the lot. The odd thing was that at times Argyle had a better side than Leeds, yet still lost to them-a manifestation of the Argyle v big club mentality perhaps?

My first thought was "crikey, how can you forget that 6-3 game". Having a look at GoS I see that was 1987. Blimey where do the years go to. For an old chap like me that seems like yesterday Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

I think it's me Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think it's me   I think it's me EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 2:28 pm

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Angry wrote:

A bit of useless info and not meaning to p**s on your parade but it was, with the aid of Concorde, London and Philadelphia. He performed with Led Zepplin in Philly and was so hopeless that Plant, Page and Jones have never forgiven him.

LA or philly the point still stands he could do it if he had the will lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Richard Blight

Richard Blight

I think it's me Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think it's me   I think it's me EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 9:25 pm

paulysalz wrote:

You have my greatest sympathy but I hope I can lighten your burden a little by ensuring you that there have been other performances that could easily rate as worse than some of those you named.

Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

I think it's me Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think it's me   I think it's me EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 9:52 pm

Richard Blight wrote:
paulysalz wrote:

You have my greatest sympathy but I hope I can lighten your burden a little by ensuring you that there have been other performances that could easily rate as worse than some of those you named.

My all-time low was losing 4-0 at home to Swindon in the FA Cup about five years ago. I have never seen us get outplayed so thoroughly by such a crap team (I think they got relegated that season).
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

I think it's me Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think it's me   I think it's me EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 10:22 pm

Years ago I went around my parents' house after a game to give them a lift somewhere. I was listening to Radio 5 (not 5LIVE that came later) and for the first time I heard Danny Baker on the radio doing 6-O-6. I knew who Danny Baker was from his time writing for the NME but I'd never heard him at all in any context and didn't know anything about 6-O-6 (which I assume was a relatively new concept at that time - new to me at any rate).

I forget the caller's name but he was manking on about how awful a let down Argyle always were and Baker was leading him on until he twigged that we had earlier lost 0-4 at home to Swindon at which point he just teased him relentlessly. I couldn't believe what I was hearing; it was as like any other sport broadcast I had ever heard as an amoeba is to a steam engine.

We got off lightly that day too. A fella named Shearer (Duncan not Alan) scored all 4 and had a spectacular 5th mysteriously disallowed and another chap named Hoddle completely dominated play from a position something like a cross between sweeper and quarterback that I have never even seen anybody else attempt to play. It was like a pub team had been drawn against proper professionals in some sort of charity match where the pros stuff 'em out of sight and then take it easy so that it isn't too humiliating.

I remember that cup game, too. Swindon might have been pants but we were worse and Dean Parrett got himself sent off in ridiculous fashion and so we only had 10 men for much of the match.

[Just looked it up on GoS. Div 2 (proper). 1991. On duty for Argyle that day were Rhys Wilmot, Danis Salman, Tony Spearing, Nicky Marker, Adrian Burrows, Steve Morgan, Martin Barlow, Dwight Marshall, Robbie Turner, Mark Quamina, Mark Fiore. Sub: Mark Damerell.]
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

I think it's me Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think it's me   I think it's me EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 9:54 am

I don't think I have ever seen us beat Millwall
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I think it's me Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think it's me   I think it's me Empty

Back to top Go down

I think it's me
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic :: Home Park :: The Mayflower-
Jump to: