GreenSam
Mock Cuncher
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Clean sheets Empty
PostSubject: Clean sheets   Clean sheets EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 10:22 am

6 of them in 12 league games.

Not bad!

Not a better CB/GK combo than McCormick, Hartley and Nelson in the division in my (limited) opinion. You can throw McHugh into that as well if we're switching to a back 3 again, he was immense yesterday.

Still average going up front, always counting on our sublime defence.

Once we work out how to develop some real attacking play around Reid, we really could take off. Bit frustrating watching McCormick continually put it exactly where Reid wants it, Reid dominate the channel and kill a 70 yard punt dead with his chest, and then there's absolutely no play going on around and behind him to find. Possession inevitably lost, but why!? Move in and around the target man, that's sunday league stuff. Smalley came on and showed what Alessandra should have been doing with his aggressive runs. We really need to be working on that IMO - some elements of our side are exceptionally brilliant, then our potential is getting blunted by the amateurish way we play in other areas.

The point for the time being though - how bloody good is our defence? Top summer recruiting there from Shez.

Back to top Go down

Clean sheets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean sheets   Clean sheets EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 10:24 am

And again credit to Paul Wotton who works with the defence for their performances of late too.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Clean sheets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean sheets   Clean sheets EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 10:25 am

My sheets are fookin brain as fook; skidders abaind.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Clean sheets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean sheets   Clean sheets EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 10:27 am

Angry wrote:
And again credit to Paul Wotton who works with the defence for their performances of late too.
Not sure I buy this too much. Like John Blackley was given a lot of credit for Argyle's immense defence 2001-2004, when in reality we just signed a defender who was a massive presence at the level we were at in Coughlan at the time, and were fortunate to have some genuinely hardworking players in midfield like Stevie Adams and Lee Hodges fore shore instance to cover the defence. Good players give good performances.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

Clean sheets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean sheets   Clean sheets EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 10:37 am

Yes Mr Cuncher - I don't think Wottsy would have had anything near the same results with Cole, Nelson, Blanchard and Trotman for example.

Credit for Sheridan for bringing his signings in. Hartley has to be among the best CBs in the division, a real colossus. The captaincy has done Nelson the world of good as he is developing month by month into a cracking player. McCormick simply looks like he belongs in the Championship at the moment. McHugh is exactly as described by Bradford fans - cracking at centre half, vulnerable at side back.

By playing 3-5-2 we are seeing exceptional performances out of the keeper and back 3, but as Clough said about Shilton constantly saving Forest - 'well that's why I pay 'im.'  Sheridan paid a lot of money for Hartley and McHugh - he must expect them to be this good.

Brave move by Shez to sack the whole defence last season and retain only one of them - but totally justified on this season's form.

Last edited by ejh on Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Clean sheets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean sheets   Clean sheets EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 10:40 am

Mock Cuncher wrote:
Angry wrote:
Not sure I buy this too much. Like John Blackley was given a lot of credit for Argyle's immense defence 2001-2004, when in reality we just signed a defender who was a massive presence at the level we were at in Coughlan at the time, and were fortunate to have some genuinely hardworking players in midfield like Stevie Adams and Lee Hodges fore shore instance to cover the defence. Good players give good performances.

He works with the defence so he deserves some credit for how well the defence has been this season. That is all.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

Clean sheets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean sheets   Clean sheets EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 7:34 pm

It's a bit of both I think.

Wotton has certainly shored up how we play in terms of being well drilled.

It's a remarkable stat that out of the 8 goals we've conceded, only 4 have been from open play. Just 4 open play goals conceded in 12 games- although set pieces are still an iffy spot, you don't do that well in open play on just good players. No doubt that Hartley and Nelson are a fine pairing for this league though.
Back to top Go down

Clean sheets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean sheets   Clean sheets EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 10:12 pm

8 clean sheets in 14 league games now.

A clean sheet against Matt Tubbs and Akinfenwa - the best quality forward line in the division.

The defensive ability of this side is hopefully on course to becoming legendary.

Now if only Nelson, McHugh and Hartley can emulate the goalscoring feats of two other legendary Argyle CBs, Coughlan and Wotton, we might just emulate our title winning season of 01/02!
Back to top Go down

Clean sheets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean sheets   Clean sheets EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 10:27 pm

ejh wrote:
Yes Mr Cuncher - I don't think Wottsy would have had anything near the same results with Cole, Nelson, Blanchard and Trotman for example.

Credit for Sheridan for bringing his signings in. Hartley has to be among the best CBs in the division, a real colossus. The captaincy has done Nelson the world of good as he is developing month by month into a cracking player. McCormick simply looks like he belongs in the Championship at the moment. McHugh is exactly as described by Bradford fans - cracking at centre half, vulnerable at side back.

By playing 3-5-2 we are seeing exceptional performances out of the keeper and back 3, but as Clough said about Shilton constantly saving Forest - 'well that's why I pay 'im.'  Sheridan paid a lot of money for Hartley and McHugh - he must expect them to be this good.

Brave move by Shez to sack the whole defence last season and retain only one of them - but totally justified on this season's form.

And justified by getting rid of that foppish wimp Luke Young.
He has clearly found his level in the Conference.
If there is one quality in Sheridan that I admire is that he has no place for sentimentality and rightly so.
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

Clean sheets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean sheets   Clean sheets EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 11:10 pm

ejh wrote:
8 clean sheets in 14 league games now.

A clean sheet against Matt Tubbs and Akinfenwa - the best quality forward line in the division.

The defensive ability of this side is hopefully on course to becoming legendary.

Now if only Nelson, McHugh and Hartley can emulate the goalscoring feats of two other legendary Argyle CBs, Coughlan and Wotton, we might just emulate our title winning season of 01/02!

An occasional CB but a natural midfielder albeit a mostly defensive one shirley ?
Back to top Go down

Clean sheets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean sheets   Clean sheets EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 11:23 pm

Wotton played at CB in the 01/02 season where We were in Div 3, the equivalent of our level now (hence the comparisons).

I think it was in Div 2 that Luggy got Aljofree in and pushed Wotton into the midfield at Adams's expense.

That's how I remember it anyway!
Back to top Go down

Clean sheets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean sheets   Clean sheets EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 11:47 pm

Punchdrunk wrote:
ejh wrote:

And justified by getting rid of that foppish wimp Luke Young.
He has clearly found his level in the Conference.
If there is one quality in Sheridan that I admire is that he has no place for sentimentality and rightly so.

Why is it with Young, the most goals and assists he gets the more it proves he is at his 'level'? Usually the better you do in football, the more it states the case that you need a harder challenge.

Young is benefiting from constant competitive football - something Hourihane benefited from at Argyle, something Young never had the luxury of (but is now).

The foppish wimp has scored more goals this season than our defenders and midfielders combined.

We might be great at defending this season, but our goals scored column is no cause for celebration.

Young's creativity would have been very useful this season, his free kick capabilities and ability to find a through ball might have proved the difference tonight for example. But what option did we have off the bench...Harvey?

I still find it strange Argyle fans are still glad to see the back of him in spite of his brilliant form for the Turks.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

Clean sheets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean sheets   Clean sheets EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 9:20 am

The situation with Luke Young is one to move on from, Luke is revered at Plainmoor is playing regularly and well as team captain, Chris Hagreaves is clearly managing him well. Argyle are in a reasonable league postion at the moment with obviously better players this season. For me Sheridan's decision to say goodbye to Luke is currently justified. As usual in football there are loads of it's and buts but Luke is benefiting the Gulls are benefiting and as fans we are a bit happier so that's it!
One final point Luke is playing well in NON league football where you can make a case for maybe about half a dozen teams as being of comparable league 2 quality. Will look forward to cheering on Luke sometime this season at Plainmorg.
Back to top Go down

Clean sheets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean sheets   Clean sheets EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 10:19 am

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating in regards of Young. He is doing well in the vanarama prem but it will be when he is back in the football league that will answer the question if it was a big mistake letting him go and giving him more time or not.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

Clean sheets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean sheets   Clean sheets EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 1:25 pm

I liked Young as a player, good skills, could see a pass and score his quota from midfield.

But there are some players who will never play well for a manager because of the style he wants to play. If Hargreaves was managing Argyle Young probably would be one of the first names on the team sheet every week and probably playing well in the system that Hargreaves uses.

Sheridan's style would never suit players like Young hence his departure.

Shame, but that's football.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Clean sheets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean sheets   Clean sheets EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 3:43 pm

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
I liked Young as a player, good skills, could see a pass and score his quota from midfield.

But there are some players who will never play well for a manager because of the style he wants to play. If Hargreaves was managing Argyle Young probably would be one of the first names on the team sheet every week and probably playing well in the system that Hargreaves uses.

Sheridan's style would never suit players like Young hence his departure.

Shame, but that's football.

This précis should be stickied and referenced every time the Young debate arises. Spot on.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Clean sheets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean sheets   Clean sheets EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 4:09 pm

Are you suggesting that Young would fit better in a passing team, or something else ?

Only saw him play once, way back when we were stuffed 5 - 1 at Oxford. IMO he was the stand out player for Argiggle that evening, mainly because of his first touch, movement and he looked comfortable on the ball................ a bit lightweight though and didn't notice him run with it at all.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

Clean sheets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean sheets   Clean sheets EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 8:58 pm

Tringreen wrote:
Are you suggesting that Young would fit better in a passing team, or something else ?

Only saw him play once, way back when we were stuffed 5 - 1 at Oxford. IMO he was the stand out player for Argiggle that evening, mainly because of his first touch, movement and he looked comfortable on the ball................ a bit lightweight though and didn't notice him run with it at all.

Just saying that Young isn't a player that Sheridan would want at this level. Certain managers like certain types of player, and Young doesn't fit with Shez.

Don't get argumentative with me, you big gay bear you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Clean sheets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean sheets   Clean sheets EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 11:05 am

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

Just saying that Young isn't a player that Sheridan would want at this level. Certain managers like certain types of player, and Young doesn't fit with Shez.

Don't get argumentative with me, you big gay bear you Very Happy

Of all the bears, in all the world, we both know exactly who is by far, the biggest and the gayest Wink
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Clean sheets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean sheets   Clean sheets EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 4:40 pm

Problem with Luke was that he failed to really impose himself and make a difference often enough. Honest truth, there was a game last season when I first noticed him after 25 minutes had gone- a real "shit, forgot he was playing" moment. I'm not sure that it was a question of style-Hourihane was a passing player and seemed to have no problem in really establishing himself and making progress- and young Reid is definitely a player whose strength is on the ball and being able to accurately use it. No, on reflection it was almost certainly the right decision to release LY, in the same way that Luke Summerfield needed to get away from the club for the benefit of all concerned a few years ago.LY made 108 appearances for Argyle, including 75 starts and it's stretching the point to say that he wasn't given enough chances. Hourihane's departure was the more significant, with far more worrying longer term implications.
Back to top Go down

Clean sheets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean sheets   Clean sheets EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 5:34 pm

How did this get on to Luke Young again?

Back on topic, this is for my money the best Argyle defence (comparative to the division) in a long long time.
Back to top Go down

Clean sheets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean sheets   Clean sheets EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 6:53 pm

Incredible stats emerging now.

- 2 goals conceded at home out of 9 matches in the league this season.

- 9 goals conceded from a total of 17 league games.

- Best defence in League Two, second best in the top 4 tiers (second only to Southampton).

- 10 clean sheets in the league (out of 17).

- 3 goals conceded in the last 10 league matches, home and away.

parteeeeee

Last edited by ejh on Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Clean sheets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean sheets   Clean sheets EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 6:58 pm

McCormick and the back 3 are solid as a rock.
Back to top Go down

Clean sheets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean sheets   Clean sheets EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 8:12 pm

Angry wrote:
McCormick and the back 3 are solid as a rock.

All 4 involved are League One quality at least and it shows.

When you have someone like O'Connor protecting the defence with his faultless reading of the game, Cox's industrious interceptions, Blizzard's dedication to shape, and a pair of pacy defensively solid wing backs - the screen in front drastically minimises the amount of danger the back line have to sort out (certainly compared to the last few seasons).

Luke McCormick didn't have a difficult save to make today, but to be fair to him he is due an easy week after his performances of late cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Clean sheets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean sheets   Clean sheets Empty

Back to top Go down

Clean sheets
Page 1 of 1