Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle?

Go down 
+9
Czarcasm
AstiSpumante
Dick Trickle
Jethro
Sir Francis Drake
Mock Cuncher
tigertony
Elias
tagz
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Greenskin

Greenskin

Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle?   Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 26, 2014 7:34 pm

ejh wrote:
Punchdrunk wrote:
We already have the ridiculously placed family area that is rarely over a quarter full, and of those most of them are there courtesy of a freebie handed out to the schools.
The only way young types will come is by getting it right on the pitch...not half baked theories about marketing or freebies.

You need to target the youngsters, not just assume they will come. The vast majority have never been to an Argyle game, don't care and never ever will. They are not thinking, rational adults. Winning football? Just get them at the game and let them enjoy it, let them decide to stay away.

As Punchdrunk says,you attract support of all varieties by being successful on the pitch.Do you think that the vastly increased attendances at clubs such as Reading,Hull,Swansea,Cardiff etc [clubs who traditionally have commanded similar or in some cases worse gates than Argyle] is due to "targetting youngsters",which is worthy but peripheral? The generational,long term father/son fanbase is built from sustained success on the pitch-and that is something that Argyle have never had.
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle?   Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 26, 2014 7:36 pm

AstiSpumante wrote:
Can anyone afford train tickets these days ?  It's cheaper to buy a car, tax, mot and insure it, fill it with rocket fuel, drive to your destination and then scrap it than to travel by train.

With a Devon and Cornwall railcard (£10 a year) an off-peak adult return to Penzance clocks in at a stunning ... £6.45. The cardholder can also take another adult for the same discounted price, and small people's for £1.
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle?   Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 26, 2014 8:48 pm

Peggy wrote:
AstiSpumante wrote:
Can anyone afford train tickets these days ?  It's cheaper to buy a car, tax, mot and insure it, fill it with rocket fuel, drive to your destination and then scrap it than to travel by train.

With a Devon and Cornwall railcard (£10 a year) an off-peak adult return to Penzance clocks in at a stunning ... £6.45. The cardholder can also take another adult for the same discounted price, and small people's for £1.

Impressive, I've driven some sheds in my time but nothing that stood me in at less than £16.45 !!
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle?   Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 26, 2014 9:49 pm

thats a good price
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle?   Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 26, 2014 10:06 pm

How about trying Friday night KO
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle?   Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 1:32 pm

Greenskin wrote:
ejh wrote:
Punchdrunk wrote:
We already have the ridiculously placed family area that is rarely over a quarter full, and of those most of them are there courtesy of a freebie handed out to the schools.
The only way young types will come is by getting it right on the pitch...not half baked theories about marketing or freebies.

You need to target the youngsters, not just assume they will come. The vast majority have never been to an Argyle game, don't care and never ever will. They are not thinking, rational adults. Winning football? Just get them at the game and let them enjoy it, let them decide to stay away.

As Punchdrunk says,you attract support of all varieties by being successful on the pitch.Do you think that the vastly increased attendances at clubs such as Reading,Hull,Swansea,Cardiff etc [clubs who traditionally have commanded similar or in some cases worse gates than Argyle] is due to "targetting youngsters",which is worthy but peripheral? The generational,long term father/son fanbase is built from sustained success on the pitch-and that is something that Argyle have never had.

I started watching Argyle when we were unsuccessful. The football was terrible. But I enjoyed the lower league football experience so much I kept coming back and became a supporter for life.

Why are you all still here if all you care about is good football?
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle?   Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 1:48 pm

ejh wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
ejh wrote:
Punchdrunk wrote:

I started watching Argyle when we were unsuccessful. The football was terrible. But I enjoyed the lower league football experience so much I kept coming back and became a supporter for life.

Why are you all still here if all you care about is good football?

Good for you.My interest in Argyle is very much a generational one,so thats two different types of supporter.Rather irrelevant though really.The question is not about the motivation and background of the 6000fans who still bother to attend but the reasons why many more thousands don't go.Not everyone would appear to be as tolerant as we are of an unsuccessful or non progressive club unfortunately,as can be deduced from the 10000 supporters that Argyle have lost since the failure to maintain momentum in 2005.Obviously those fans had an introduction to Argyle-why aren't they still there in the same way as you or i? They're certainly still there at the clubs mentioned in my previous post.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle?   Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 1:50 pm

The reason why folk don't attend anymore is because Argo are fecking shite, plain and simple.
Back to top Go down
stephensdad

PostSubject: Re: Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle?   Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle? - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 7:21 pm

I think expense also plays a big part today. There are so much other things these days to spend your money on these days, computers and mobile phones etc. I missed a few seasons years ago when the children were younger as just couldn't afford it. A lot of people cannot afford it. Three games in a month can cost getting on £100 with a couple of children.
In saying that perhaps an idea would be bring two under 18s and the adult gets in at under 18 price.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle?   Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle? - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:06 pm

saturation tv coverage of football is to blame people only really turn up now if we're winning hence why we ve lost 10000 since 2004 !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle?   Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle? - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:08 pm

silly me wrong thread lol
Back to top Go down
tagz

PostSubject: Re: Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle?   Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 02, 2014 8:34 pm

stephensdad wrote:
I think expense also plays a big part today. There are so much other things these days to spend your money on these days, computers and mobile phones etc. I missed a few seasons years ago when the children were younger as just couldn't afford it. A lot of people cannot afford  it. Three games in a month can cost getting on £100 with a couple of children.
In saying that perhaps an idea would be bring two under 18s and the adult gets in at under 18 price.

And for £42 per month they could sit at home and watch 4/5 live games on a Saturday, 3/4 live games on a Sunday and a live game most nights (if not all) of the week, with teams such as Barca, Real, Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea all offering better quality of football than Argyle. Many have and many will decide to stay at home (or go to a pub) to watch Man City v West From rather than paying £20 to go and watch Argyle v Morecombe (for example).

The seats to my right at Home Park are POTD seats and there were some people which sat there when we played Exeter last season and they said that they had season tickets (when we were in the Championship) but got rid of them as we were relegated and this was their first game since and they weren't rushing to buy tickets for the next match.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle?   Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 02, 2014 11:37 pm

Entertaining winning football thats represents value for money is the best way as nothing is more powerful than word of mouth. If people like a show they tell their friends and convince them to go see it who in turn do the same afterwards.

Argyle can do well in applying this i think
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle?   Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Should Argyle be doing more to get younger people to Argyle?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2