HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Celebrating goals

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Celebrating goals Empty
PostSubject: Celebrating goals   Celebrating goals EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 10:51 am

I was struck by Reid's blatant non-celebration of his goal at Fleetwood. I suppose he buys into the Balotelli philosophy ("does a postman celebrate putting a letter through a letterbox?") but I don't like it.

I realise that this is hardly new (Trigger never used to celebrate scoring either) but I just feel the need to cleanse my footballing soul after wading through the Wrathall sleazefest so here's something about football and goal-scoring...
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Celebrating goals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celebrating goals   Celebrating goals EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 11:01 am

This is Reuben's 9th Loan spell. He's only 25.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

Celebrating goals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celebrating goals   Celebrating goals EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 11:22 am

He may have found his spiritual home and mentor.

I don't care as long as he's banging them in.
Back to top Go down

Celebrating goals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celebrating goals   Celebrating goals EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 11:37 am

Sir Alex Ferguson used to tell his players off for not celebrating their goals.

In his opinion the fans paid their money to see them, so when the showmen gave them a performance they should give ample opportunity for the crowd to voice their pleasure.

In one respect, Reid's non celebration can be seen as an insight into his own mentality. He wants it all to be about him, not the  team, and not particularly concerned for the fans. It's a statement of arrogance - 'I just scored a belter, but I am class, I know I am capable of that. It doesn't surprise me, I am not going to charge around like kids on a children's playground with a grin on my face. Just stand still in silence and let everyone look at me'.

When I score goals at local level I don't celebrate. For me my natural reaction is to crush the sense of jubilation with modesty, and let anyone who wants a hand slap or backslap have their turn, and then get on with it.

The fact that Reid gives 100% on the pitch, charges down everything he can, and works tirelessly to do the unappreciated forward work, and celebrates teammates' goals, and crucially, keeps banging goals in - gives us little to be concerned about IMO.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Celebrating goals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celebrating goals   Celebrating goals EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 11:45 am

I'm not using this as an excuse to disparage Reid (as I said Trigger used to do the same and he's, possibly, my all-time fave player). In fact I've been supportive of him all season when others were accusing him of being lazy and like Balotelli his ability is never going to be questioned. I hope he gets his 20 (and more) goals this year because he deserves them as much as anything.

I wish he'd look a bit more cheerful though.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Celebrating goals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celebrating goals   Celebrating goals EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 11:45 am

... and his celebration of team goals is a point well noted.
Back to top Go down

Celebrating goals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celebrating goals   Celebrating goals EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 12:57 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
I'm not using this as an excuse to disparage Reid (as I said Trigger used to do the same and he's, possibly, my all-time fave player). In fact I've been supportive of him all season when others were accusing him of being lazy and like Balotelli his ability is never going to be questioned. I hope he gets his 20 (and more) goals this year because he deserves them as much as anything.

I wish he'd look a bit more cheerful though.

The difference between Reid and Balotelli though, is that Reid has been consistent this season (not flash in the pan spells of genius), is a true team player (albeit with an attitude), and Reid has to take responsibility for carrying Argyle's attack (unlike Balotelli, who was immature, and came into the fold seemingly to sprinkle some hundreds and thousands onto Aguero's work, and was largely carried by his team's goalscoring/creative midfield).

If Reid started playing selfishly, ignoring passes, and 45 yard efforts, wanting ball to feet with little movement up front etc. we'd have a bit of a problem, but on the pitch Reid's effort and application is fantastic, and his dedication to teammates is high. Only Alessandra this season, the last game (and Lavery) excepted, is liable to make a run off Reid or chip in with a goal from open play - other than that, all goals are scored by Reid, and a great deal of others revolve around Reid (assists, fouls on the dangerous target man etc.). If Reid has a stinker, the overwhelming likelihood is Argyle will struggle to score, and will be very unlikely to win. So that brings a lot of pressure and responsibility. With Morgan out for so long, we had no other option than Reid to play the Reid role - so for months he has had to play well and play consistently. Unlike Boco for example, who we could afford to struggle with replacements lined up.

My only criticism of Reid is that when things aren't going Argyle's way, and when he is not getting the service, he is liable to throw tantrums and vent his anger in a manner that doesn't appear to be at all helpful.
Back to top Go down

Celebrating goals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celebrating goals   Celebrating goals EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 1:42 pm

I 8 United but that celebration makes me smile everytime i see it.  Very Happy 

Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

Celebrating goals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celebrating goals   Celebrating goals EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 1:54 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

and this one from fash
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk

Celebrating goals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celebrating goals   Celebrating goals EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 5:20 pm

Yeah great goal from Fash, but this is my all-time favourite with a good old fashioned celebration to boot.
What a goal  cheers 

Back to top Go down

Celebrating goals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celebrating goals   Celebrating goals EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 5:25 pm

Jack Sheppard wrote:
Yeah great goal from Fash, but this is my all-time favourite with a good old fashioned celebration to boot.
What a goal   cheers 

Genius. If it hadn't have been for the sex, drugs & rock'n'roll Worthington would have been a star for England.
Back to top Go down

Celebrating goals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celebrating goals   Celebrating goals EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 5:28 pm

I'm just pleased that footballers have stopped kissing each other.
Back to top Go down

Celebrating goals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celebrating goals   Celebrating goals EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 5:29 pm

Maybe not!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Celebrating goals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celebrating goals   Celebrating goals EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 6:09 pm

Tardelli right at the end of this beauty!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Celebrating goals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celebrating goals   Celebrating goals Empty

Back to top Go down

Celebrating goals
Page 1 of 1