HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Black Peppercorns

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Black Peppercorns Empty
PostSubject: Black Peppercorns   Black Peppercorns EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 4:56 pm

Our pepper grinder was empty when I went to use it just now so I refilled it with peppercorns from a bag we had in the kitchen drawer.

The peppercorn bag label said they were "best before April 2004".

They look OK though. Do you think I might die next time I put a bit of freshly-ground pepper on my poached egg?
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

Black Peppercorns Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Peppercorns   Black Peppercorns EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 5:00 pm

Yes, black peppercorn is poisonous in itself. As it gets older the poisons become more concentrated. If you eat them you will certainly die an agonising and slow death equalled only by the death that comes after listening to heavy metal for anything more than 5 minutes.

Trust me, I'm an expert.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Black Peppercorns Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Peppercorns   Black Peppercorns EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 5:19 pm

Oh. I was rather hoping for "they might have lost a bit if flavour but you'll be OK" rather than that.

I have another bag. "Best before October 2004" this time. Do you think they'll be any better?
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

Black Peppercorns Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Peppercorns   Black Peppercorns EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 5:33 pm

I would say worse than the April ones. I read somewhere a while ago that black peppercorns are at their most poisonous around October. I'm sure Delia Knecht will be back to tell us if I am right or not.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

Black Peppercorns Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Peppercorns   Black Peppercorns EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 8:46 pm

mouldyoldgoat wrote:
I would say worse than the April ones. I read somewhere a while ago that black peppercorns are at their most poisonous around October. I'm sure Delia Knecht will be back to tell us if I am right or not.
It's confirmed. Black peppercorns in October are almost certain to bring a slow painful death, October 6th to be precise. Get to Tesco and by some fresh peppercorns, quickly. Don't forget to bypass that cheesy stuff made from your brother and sister goats.What a Face 
Back to top Go down

Black Peppercorns Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Peppercorns   Black Peppercorns EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 8:53 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Our pepper grinder was empty when I went to use it just now so I refilled it with peppercorns from a bag we had in the kitchen drawer.

The peppercorn bag label said they were "best before April 2004".

They look OK though. Do you think I might die next time I put a bit of freshly-ground pepper on my poached egg?
Don't do it! There's even a discussion page about it here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Black Peppercorns Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Peppercorns   Black Peppercorns EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 9:08 pm

Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Black Peppercorns Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Peppercorns   Black Peppercorns EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 9:13 pm

I ate gone off fish yesterday. It was tasty.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

Black Peppercorns Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Peppercorns   Black Peppercorns EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 9:18 pm

There are fungi that if you eat them you are perfectly OK for a few days then all of a sudden you wake up one morning and you are dead.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

Black Peppercorns Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Peppercorns   Black Peppercorns EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 9:18 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:
Fish will spoil as opposed to giving you food poisoning (so you should be ok). The only exceptions are the pelagic types (especially Mackerel) which if temperature abused/ old will develop histamines which can give a quite severe reaction to people with histamine intolerance.

The Black peppercorns should be fine despite the age- the BBE means the quality won't be as good. Use By means eat by that date.
Back to top Go down

Black Peppercorns Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Peppercorns   Black Peppercorns EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 9:32 pm

Educated wanker
Back to top Go down

Black Peppercorns Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Peppercorns   Black Peppercorns EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 9:38 pm

Greenjock wrote:
Educated wanker
Who you calling educated?!
Back to top Go down

Black Peppercorns Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Peppercorns   Black Peppercorns EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 9:45 pm

knecht wrote:
you wake up one morning and you are dead.
FFS.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

Black Peppercorns Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Peppercorns   Black Peppercorns EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 10:26 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
Mock Cuncher wrote:
Fish will spoil as opposed to giving you food poisoning (so you should be ok). The only exceptions are the pelagic types (especially Mackerel) which if temperature abused/ old will develop histamines which can give a quite severe reaction to people with histamine intolerance.

The Black peppercorns should be fine despite the age- the BBE means the quality won't be as good. Use By means eat by that date.
Spoil Sport!!! Very Happy 

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

Black Peppercorns Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Peppercorns   Black Peppercorns EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 10:36 pm

Just making my launches (lunches)for next week, it is home made veg soup, should I put in white or black pepper? I be put on an eating plan.

Last edited by Tgwu on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Black Peppercorns Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Peppercorns   Black Peppercorns EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 10:44 pm

You put white pepper in whitish things so that you don't get unseemly black specks in it. I don't think it matters much in vegetable soup which you use.

I have loads of really nice, mature black peppercorns if you want to make me an offer for them.
Back to top Go down

Black Peppercorns Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Peppercorns   Black Peppercorns EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 10:54 pm

Tgwu wrote:
Just making my launches for next week, it is home made veg soup, should I put in white or black pepper? I be put on an eating plan.

Are you a boat builder or a pirate ?
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

Black Peppercorns Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Peppercorns   Black Peppercorns EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 10:54 pm

Thanks for the offer, I have enough to put in. it is on now cooking
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

Black Peppercorns Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Peppercorns   Black Peppercorns EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 10:56 pm

IsThatHHP? wrote:
Tgwu wrote:
Just making my launches for next week, it is home made veg soup, should I put in white or black pepper? I be put on an eating plan.

My glasses is a bit steamed up
Back to top Go down

Black Peppercorns Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Peppercorns   Black Peppercorns EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 10:58 pm

Tgwu wrote:
IsThatHHP? wrote:
Tgwu wrote:
My glasses is a bit steamed up

Take them off when cooking but be careful what you put in the pot !!
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

Black Peppercorns Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Peppercorns   Black Peppercorns EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 11:00 pm

Would not be able to see the pot.
Back to top Go down

Black Peppercorns Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Peppercorns   Black Peppercorns EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 12:11 pm

Sausages are usually made with white pepper?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Black Peppercorns Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Peppercorns   Black Peppercorns Empty

Back to top Go down

Black Peppercorns
Page 1 of 1