8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Argyle 3-2 City Empty
PostSubject: Argyle 3-2 City   Argyle 3-2 City EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 1:06 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quote :
"After watching the Thierry Henry/Robert Pires penalty shambles at the weekend, I was wondering if the Johan Cruyff/Jesper Olsen incident was the only previous example of the 'two-man penalty'?" asks Lee McGleish back in the innocent days of 2005.

Well, Lee, despite Monsieur Henry admitting to having taken his inspiration from the Ajax pair's famous spot-kick in 1982, there are three far earlier examples of the cheeky "tap penalty".

On 21 November 1964 Plymouth Argyle beat Manchester City 3-2 in a Division Two game at Home Park. The winning goal came from Mike Trebilcock – after the referee gave the Pilgrims a penalty, Johnny Newman tapped the ball sideways, enabling Trebilcock to race in and fire home. Greens on Screen has a detailed match report from the game, as well as video footage of the incident - perhaps it should be forwarded on to Highbury to show Thierry and Robert how it's done.

According to the accompanying article, however, Argyle had already employed the trick once before. And some further digging reveals that Newman was involved again – on 6 February 1961 in the 5-3 League Cup fourth-round, second replay defeat to Aston Villa. This time, Wilf Carter nudged the ball for Newman to run in and crash home.

Yet the nearest variation to the "two-touch" penalty can be tracked back even further; all the way to 5 June 1957 in fact, when Belgium entertained Iceland in a World Cup qualifying tie. Already leading 6-1, Belgium were awarded a 44th-minute penalty. Up stepped Rik Coppens to take it, but instead of firing towards Bjorgvin Hermannsson in the Iceland goal, Coppens nonchalantly passed to team-mate André Piters, who returned the favour, enabling the former to score past a stunned Hermannsson. The match ended 8-3 and Coppens went on to be voted 73rd on a list of all-time great Belgians."
I bet half of ATD were there?

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Dougie

Dougie

Argyle 3-2 City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle 3-2 City   Argyle 3-2 City EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 1:46 pm

Brilliant flourish from the ref to signify the goal

Link to GoS footage

Back to top Go down
shonbo

shonbo

Argyle 3-2 City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle 3-2 City   Argyle 3-2 City EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 2:06 pm

My dad was there. He was a ratings in the Navy and originally turned up a few years before this to watch Argyle play Everton, to support Everton! He was a proddy from Belfast and Everton was the proddy team in Liverpool. Anyway Argyle ran out in the all white kit with the green and black hoops, looking very similar to his beloved Glentoran and then beat Everton 4-3 apparently.

One new Argyle supporter left the ground that day. Smile
Back to top Go down
Moist_Von_Lipwig

Moist_Von_Lipwig

Argyle 3-2 City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle 3-2 City   Argyle 3-2 City EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 2:07 pm

Dougie wrote:
Brilliant flourish from the ref to signify the goal

Link to GoS footage

Almost a real "first in football".

Northampton Town table toppers!

Argyle third.

Attendance: 19,468

Look how far we've come!
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

Argyle 3-2 City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle 3-2 City   Argyle 3-2 City EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 2:17 pm

Crikey Shonbo "my Dad was there"!! I was there in my normal position banging the hoardings right behind the Barn Park goal wondering quite what was happening. Some grand matches in those days and you could always run on the pitch and walk across with the players at the end if you were a nipper.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Argyle 3-2 City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle 3-2 City   Argyle 3-2 City EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 2:39 pm

I was there for one of them and was in the Demport. THe pen was at the BP End.Big Mal was manager I think. Bizarre.

This was when I was a praaaaaaaaaper faaaaaaan.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Argyle 3-2 City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle 3-2 City   Argyle 3-2 City EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 5:05 pm

I may well have been there,can't remember it though,i was only 4 at the time.That was a good Argyle side,about 7 of that team were sold for Plymouth prices by the useless directors and inevitably went on to better things elsewhere.For anyone who doesn't believe that history repeats,then drawing a comparison between this era and that one may be a bit of an eye opener,although the people in charge then didn't make as big a balls up as recent alleged directors have.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

Argyle 3-2 City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle 3-2 City   Argyle 3-2 City EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 6:23 pm

Long before I was even thought of. Would like to have been there though.
Back to top Go down

Argyle 3-2 City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle 3-2 City   Argyle 3-2 City EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 7:57 pm

I was only one year old but I was there leading the singing in the old Barn Park end, great times. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Argyle 3-2 City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle 3-2 City   Argyle 3-2 City Empty

Back to top Go down

Argyle 3-2 City
Page 1 of 1