mouldyoldgoat
Chemical Ali
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

Play Up Pompy??? Empty
PostSubject: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 10:46 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm all for helping Portsmouth raising abit of cash and all that but singing play up pompy? Not on your life absolute madness

Last edited by Renegade on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

Play Up Pompy??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 10:54 pm

Quote :
Hi All

I posted sometime ago with a good luck message. To give a tiny bit of background, I was the Trust Chair during the struggle to save Argyle last year and I am now the Club President.

As the days tick by and as your situation becomes more difficult I thought that it would be good to let everyone know that on Thursday Argyle are going to announce a series of events for the League Cup tie that will hopefully help out the Pompey Trust a little bit whilst also showing support from fans to fans and Club to Club.

Firstly we have a popular pre-match ritual at Home Park nowadays called a fansfest. It is literally right outside the main entrance to the old part of the stadium. There is music, beer, pasties and generally great banter. We are opening the League Cup fansfest to away fans and hope to generate a really unique atmosphere. We will also invite someone from the Pompey Trust to address everyone. There will be a £5 entrance fee which includes a free pint and a pasty. 50% of everything raised will be handed over to the Pompey Trust.

Secondly we are very proud to have the Football League Fan of the Year in Sue Pollard. During the tough times at Argyle Sue raised thousands of pounds by rattling those buckets to gain money for the unpaid staff at Argyle. We have talked Sue out of retirement and she will be rattling them again for the Pompey Trust.

We are also working on via our contacts a signed David Norris Pompey shirt that we can auction. We have links with David via his time at Argyle so we are working on this.

Finally prior to the kick off the message of support from Argyle to Pompey will be read out as well as a call for all four sides of the ground to sing the Pompey Chimes.

For me going back to when I first started following Argyle the games against Pompey due to the naval history were always fantastic. Coupled with what we as a Club have been through we are so keen to help a fellow group of fans and another Club in your hour of need.

I am sure you will make the game and we are working hard to make it special when you do.

As I have said the full details will be on the Argyle website and out in the press on Thursday. The Pompey Trust will also be working in the media to gain coverage and raise awareness at your end.

Hopefully see some of you at the fansfest and 90 minutes apart I wish you all the very best. You are a fine Football Club with a fine set of supporters!

Chris

Pompey fans on line
Back to top Go down

Play Up Pompy??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 10:59 pm

Please tell me this is a feking wind up and that tw@t isn't being serious?
Back to top Go down

Play Up Pompy??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 11:08 pm

I hope he isnt being serious and you know the sad thing? his group will sing that aswell
Back to top Go down

Play Up Pompy??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 11:09 pm

I was there in 83 as a kid being lifted out of the Spion Kop by my Uncle as their "fine supporters" were ripping Home Park apart El Prez!.

The 15k wooden dugouts wouldnt have lasted 5 minutes pig

The man is out of control and needs reigning in.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

Play Up Pompy??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 11:31 pm

I don't agree with Jameson often but this time he is right. I have always considered portsmouth our biggest rivals and not exeter.

Sing their song - feck off!

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
oxfordgreen

oxfordgreen

Play Up Pompy??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 11:55 pm

Renegade wrote:
I hope he isnt being serious and you know the sad thing? his group will sing that aswell

I for one won't be singing it. But apart from that i think it is a good idea to help them out. They seem very greatful [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

Play Up Pompy??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 12:05 am

oxfordgreen wrote:
Renegade wrote:

I for one won't be singing it. But apart from that i think it is a good idea to help them out. They seem very greatful [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I am all for helping out ANY club in trouble even pompy but sing their songs, NO!

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

Play Up Pompy??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 12:16 am

oxfordgreen wrote:
Renegade wrote:

I dont think you will find many that dont want to help Pompey in their hour of need.
Back to top Go down

Play Up Pompy??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 12:38 am

All very well helping Pompey etc and showing support, but there's no way we are singing they're songs, we might as well join them in the away end while we are at it, and cheer on the Pompey players
Back to top Go down

Play Up Pompy??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 12:54 am

In fact i do actually remember Argyle fans singing play up Pompey at Southampton a few years ago.. Bombed and the idiots got given what for and rightly so it Portsmouth are rivals of plymouth argyle singing their songs is stupid and will make us look like a complete joke.

You will be telling me we will be selling t-shirts for a cup round 1 game next
Back to top Go down

Play Up Pompy??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 12:55 am

Renegade wrote:
In fact i do actually remember Argyle fans singing play up Pompey at Southampton a few years ago.. Bombed and the idiots got given what for and rightly so it Portsmouth are rivals of plymouth argyle singing their songs is stupid and will make us look like a complete joke.

You will be telling me we will be selling t-shirts for a cup round 1 game next

Was in the club shop last week, really couldn't believe what I was seeing, t shirts for a first round cup match, is it a joke or are the club being serious?
Back to top Go down

Play Up Pompy??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 7:52 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

uh oh...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is going to end up a 25 page mega-thread. Draw your swords Jameson and Rapson, the horde cometh!
Back to top Go down

Play Up Pompy??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 8:30 am

A petulant child flounces again.

Its a shame he did not afford Sean Rapson the same courtesy he demands of Jameson.
Back to top Go down
shonbo

shonbo

Play Up Pompy??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 8:35 am

How long do you reckon before he's back? SWEEPSTAKE or should that be Sootyscape? 🐒
Back to top Go down

Play Up Pompy??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 8:36 am

I see Webb didnt waste any time in bringing the "real" this and "real" that into it once again lol!

Horrendous idea and how that man is still the President after his escapades is unbelievable.
He should have resigned in disgrace weeks ago, the man is a joke.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

Play Up Pompy??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 8:43 am

Arch Stanton wrote:
I was there in 83 as a kid being lifted out of the Spion Kop by my Uncle as their "fine supporters" were ripping Home Park apart El Prez!.

The 15k wooden dugouts wouldnt have lasted 5 minutes pig

The man is out of control and needs reigning in.

I was there too, I must have been 15 at the time. I got decked by a large group of portsmouth fans as they charged the only big group of Argyle fans in the ground who were at the Barn Park side of the Lyndhurst. I wasn't even wearing any colours. Absolute carnage that day. F***ing pompey chimes rang out from all 4 sides that day alright as all 4 sides were full of the ****! I was considering going to this one but not if this cringeworthy shit is going to happen.

Anyway, signs are they're probably going to be taken over by some money backed investors shortly. Pompey should be helping us not the other way round. They'll never sink as low as we have/ are going to. And they tonked Bolton 3-0 in a PSF last week. Not bad for a team with only 2 senior players!!
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

Play Up Pompy??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 8:52 am

Quote :
I sat back last night and went over the last 7 days alone. I've chased the memberships non-stop, discussed tidying pilgrims way with the Club, pushed on when fans would know more about players, lobbied on the state of the official site, chased up when the new kit would be in and relayed a lot of concerns voiced on hear to the Clubs senior team and James Brent. I then get Mrgreen8954 (just an example so nobody takes offence) saying 'you are up Brent's a***'. I point out that he/she is incorrect and I end up the bad guy - only on the internet.

Part of the problem as I see it is clearly my own making. I try to help everyone and answer any questions I see. I should have left all these to the Trust and I'm sure that now I'm out of the way that will be the case. I don't go searching for additional Argyle activities believe me but sometimes I feel 'if I don't nobody will'. For example since we drew Pompey in the Cup lots of fans on here, on twitter and in person have asked about doing something for the fans. I've waited and waited for someone / a group to grab it but nothing so I contacted Gary of the GT, talked Sue P out of retirement and away we've gone.

A victim of his own success. I'm totally convinced there is alot to be grateful for. But it's telling that there is so much of the mundane to sort out in the first paragraph that the club should have a handle on. Why lobby about the website is it something the club can't do. What does chased up about the kit mean? Rang the suppliers. Again why aren't the club doing it or aren't they doing it well enough.

It says as much abou the club as it does about the President if that much chasing has to be done. A strong non undermined and unique (ie not two) fans body might have been able to take alot of that slack. But whats the point when you can tweet the President and off he goes.

And as an insight to his internet activities and giving a brief synopsis ( c. IJN) rather than the content of PMs. My inbox was filled last week with messages from the President requesting that I didn't quote his publicly listed twitter ramblings. Something he said I was doing constantly (actually once in the past 6 weeks or so and only Argyle related). Now if he takes on everyone else in the same manner no wonder things get to much for him.

Anyway I'm sure he'll continue working quietly for the good of the club and it's fans now that he has stood back (again)
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

Play Up Pompy??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 9:01 am

On the Pompey point I liked to know what fuss the fans kicked as they slipped into admin for the second time. It's hard to tell from their fan sites. If the same happened to Argyle again without mass protest I would think we deserved everything we got and would be embarrassed if other fans had to help bail us out again.

If there is one positive about the GasBoard it will be scrutinising the clubs books and provide an early warning system if things are going wrong. Or at least thats what I hope.
Back to top Go down

Play Up Pompy??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 9:04 am

So, a hideous event from almost 30 years ago determines the reaction to Portsmouth's situation nowadays? That's sad. What do you want to do? Continue the war?

It takes a big person to hold out the hand of friendship to someone who did them wrong. Argyle would certainly be the gainer in this process. Our reputation in the footballing world would be improved after the justifiably bad press about the investment bin a stand after our debts were being paid off at less than 1p in the pound.

I thought it was a superb gesture of solidarity with a fellow club.

In my view it seemed to be bigger than necessary. I would draw the line at singing their song. A round of applause would do. Also, to talk personalities, it says something that the spat between The President and Lee Jameson followed a perceived insult by Lee 'failing' to discuss this behind the scenes rather than questioning it publicly. That seems to be indicative of how that group operates. It hardly amounted to a personal attack or even a physical threat. Lee simply questioned a part of the suggestion. It seems his crime was to break the public code of silence!

If we are serious about The Trust forging increasing links with other clubs and their Trusts around the country then compromises will be on the agenda. For a brief period off the pitch solidarity with other fans is on offer. The 'battle' on the pitch would be unaffected.
Back to top Go down

Play Up Pompy??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 9:12 am

The internet code of conduct! lol! lol! lol! Real mates, lol! lol! lol!
The mans a comedy genius.
And back to the main topic; I think the fans re-united ethics are admirable, however I was another at that game and no way would I sing that song.

And to answer Knect as a ps, no I don't want to continue the war, I didn't want it to start in the first place. To do the fanfest, raise money for their plight, very admirable and more than they would do for us, sing that song, no way.
Back to top Go down

Play Up Pompy??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 9:51 am

knecht wrote:
So, a hideous event from almost 30 years ago determines the reaction to Portsmouth's situation nowadays? That's sad. What do you want to do? Continue the war?

It takes a big person to hold out the hand of friendship to someone who did them wrong. Argyle would certainly be the gainer in this process. Our reputation in the footballing world would be improved after the justifiably bad press about the investment bin a stand after our debts were being paid off at less than 1p in the pound.

I thought it was a superb gesture of solidarity with a fellow club.

In my view it seemed to be bigger than necessary. I would draw the line at singing their song. A round of applause would do. Also, to talk personalities, it says something that the spat between The President and Lee Jameson followed a perceived insult by Lee 'failing' to discuss this behind the scenes rather than questioning it publicly. That seems to be indicative of how that group operates. It hardly amounted to a personal attack or even a physical threat. Lee simply questioned a part of the suggestion. It seems his crime was to break the public code of silence!

If we are serious about The Trust forging increasing links with other clubs and their Trusts around the country then compromises will be on the agenda. For a brief period off the pitch solidarity with other fans is on offer. The 'battle' on the pitch would be unaffected.

I couldn't agree more Knecht, it's one thing helping out another club but it's another asking fans to sing a rivals song, especially 'such' a rival.

It shows one thing, Webb isn't or hasn't been for very long, an Argyle fan!
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Play Up Pompy??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 10:03 am

According to my late grandfather,Pompey pinched the chant from us anyway.Originally,it was "Play up Argyle" but the beggars filched it and twisted it to their own ends.I won't be singing it,not because of any particular murk of psyche Pompey hang up but it just doesn't seem right somehow to sing another clubs anthem,maybe shades of Newcastle/Blaydon races.Pompey will survive and thrive and will still be occupying a higher league position than us in 5 years time.
Back to top Go down
Chingers

Chingers

Play Up Pompy??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 10:10 am

Imagine Pompey singing our song at Fratton? Hang on, what's our song again?
I think some of Chris's ideas have been alright as it goes, but this idea is truly 5hit. Yeah we've moved on from the 80's violence but rivalry is what used to make football great and the thought of singing The Chimes makes me feel sad and annoyed. Perhaps they could play Paul McCartney, pipes of peace before the game and the fans could run and console each other. That would be really lovely and nice and fill me with peace and harmony.
Back to top Go down
http://www.haleendafc.co.uk
shonbo

shonbo

Play Up Pompy??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 10:12 am

A far better idea, would have been to play this on Saturday, when neither team have a match and more fans could get down
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Play Up Pompy??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Play Up Pompy???
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next