Go down 
+2
Freathy
Chemical Ali
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Chemical Ali

From Plymouth to the Prem Empty
PostSubject: From Plymouth to the Prem   From Plymouth to the Prem EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 5:33 pm

Good read on Jamie Mackie. I see he was awarded their player of the season-

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: From Plymouth to the Prem   From Plymouth to the Prem EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 7:53 am

"Headless chicken" lol!
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: From Plymouth to the Prem   From Plymouth to the Prem EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 8:22 am

Interesting title,implying that Plymouth Argyle seems to be thought of as a less than likely premier league club.Do they know something that we don't? affraid

Trust in Stapes/Todd/Kagami/Gardner! lol!
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: From Plymouth to the Prem   From Plymouth to the Prem EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 8:39 am

A good honest player, "lower league shite" "he never did it for us" that was my favourite, lol

PostSubject: Re: From Plymouth to the Prem   From Plymouth to the Prem EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 8:59 am

The epitome of a hard working footballer. What he lacks in skill he more than makes up for it with his effort. And I think he has imroved no end for playing with and against better players.

His finishing used to be erratic but he has definitely worked on that and now makes the most of nearly every chance he gets.

He would make my all-time Argyle XI just for his attitude and perseverance. I hope Craig Levein uses him for Scotland this season, as he was left out of the squad that got hammered in the US recently.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: From Plymouth to the Prem   From Plymouth to the Prem EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 5:46 pm

I wonder whether the people that used to slag him off ever used to really watch him? I was a fan of Mackie ever since his opening game when he scored (I think 2 goals). I think the trouble is fans quite often take a pro or anti position on a player and stick to it no matter what, hoping that time will prove them right.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: From Plymouth to the Prem   From Plymouth to the Prem EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 5:50 pm

Iggy wrote:
I wonder whether the people that used to slag him off ever used to really watch him? I was a fan of Mackie ever since his opening game when he scored (I think 2 goals). I think the trouble is fans quite often take a pro or anti position on a player and stick to it no matter what, hoping that time will prove them right.

Only the dimwitted ones.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: From Plymouth to the Prem   From Plymouth to the Prem EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 5:54 pm

Iggy wrote:

Didn't Luggy have a go at him after the game and say he wasn't that good or something? Probably trying to keep his feet on the ground, but most managers would have tried to build a young players confidence.
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: From Plymouth to the Prem   From Plymouth to the Prem EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 7:22 pm

Tringreen wrote:
Iggy wrote:

Only the dimwitted ones.

Thats most of us on here then jocolor
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: From Plymouth to the Prem   From Plymouth to the Prem EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 7:28 pm

Was he 'headless' or 'gaumless' (sic)?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: From Plymouth to the Prem   From Plymouth to the Prem EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 7:50 pm

Greenjock wrote:
Iggy wrote:

Didn't Luggy have a go at him after the game and say he wasn't that good or something? Probably trying to keep his feet on the ground, but most managers would have tried to build a young players confidence.

I certainly remember luggy having the odd pop at Mackie, and he almost seemed miserly in his enjoyment on the touchline with Mackie's spectacular sub 2 goal debut. I remember Luggy having nothing but a neutral effect at best on youngsters under his tuteledge... all were subject to his system that was to be the star of the show. Also, his positional treatment of the talented Halmosi did nothing to stop me feeling he found it difficult to come to an accomodation with certain players with half a skill, and as Southampton things proved, he just couldn't hack the talent. He was a boot room bully that came apart during his second spell here .....a very strange trait given the talent he had as a footballer himself... but then I guess he was a one trick pony. Pays well though... as he said as he sped up to Southampton leaving us in the lurch .... I'll never have to work again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: From Plymouth to the Prem   From Plymouth to the Prem EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 8:27 pm

Penz wrote:
Greenjock wrote:
Iggy wrote:

I certainly remember luggy having the odd pop at Mackie, and he almost seemed miserly in his enjoyment on the touchline with Mackie's spectacular sub 2 goal debut. I remember Luggy having nothing but a neutral effect at best on youngsters under his tuteledge... all were subject to his system that was to be the star of the show. Also, his positional treatment of the talented Halmosi did nothing to stop me feeling he found it difficult to come to an accomodation with certain players with half a skill, and as Southampton things proved, he just couldn't hack the talent. He was a boot room bully that came apart during his second spell here .....a very strange trait given the talent he had as a footballer himself... but then I guess he was a one trick pony. Pays well though... as he said as he sped up to Southampton leaving us in the lurch .... I'll never have to work again.

It's funny that he seems able to make the most of average players, but struggles with a more talented player.

Now that Redknapp has been fired by Spurs, I've seen loads of comments about how he never really did anything. No training or set-piece routines, and a clipboard in the dressing room with nothing written on it. I don't know if that is sour grapes because he's gone, or if the suggestion that he was bought a team of great players and just told them to go out and play is true. I suspect the truth lies somewhere in the middle with 'Arry.

With Sturrock I was a big fan, but when he left for Southampton I felt like he had betrayed us, as we hadn't got promoted yet, and there was still enough time for us to blow it which luckily we didn't.

I guess there are allsorts of different managers and some have a knack of getting the best out of players. Warnock spotted Mackie's potential and snapped him up. He's done brilliantly so far for QPR and earned a new contract, but as one of the QPR fans said in the link, I wonder how often he will play under Mark Hughes? Their owner has bags of cash so it wouldn't surprise me if JM gets shunted down the pecking order. I hope not because he has shown that he can handle the Premier League and deserves more than the odd impact sub appearance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: From Plymouth to the Prem   From Plymouth to the Prem EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 9:24 pm

Cloughie was a bit like that. Sometimes it's not a good idea to fill players heads with garbage, some players need to be told everything. Sturrock in his second period never looked like he was in control, formations were used pre season and discarded come kick off. Players would be signed and then be told they would never play for the club again, until he fell out with their replacement. The football was at its worst not just poor but feeble and pathetic, all the while he was defended to the hilt by PASOTI.

Strange as he really was a wonderful player and if it wasnt for a certain Kenny Dalglish who kept him out of the national side he would have been far better known.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: From Plymouth to the Prem   From Plymouth to the Prem Empty

Back to top Go down

From Plymouth to the Prem
Page 1 of 1