Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Just back from Morecambe

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Just back from Morecambe  Empty
PostSubject: Just back from Morecambe    Just back from Morecambe  EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 11:55 pm

Just got home, a very long trip, 7 hours each way.

To me, what I saw of Morecambe seemed a nice place, the seafront is lovely and the views are excellent, we found a pub called the imperial before the match which seemed ok. The ground is alright, I like the away terrace.

Thought we played really well in the first half, we dominated and controlled the entire game, we should have been out of sight but Mr Awful Soukouna somehow managed to put an open goal wide. Was a good finish from Young for our first goal. Chenoweth had to make 1 catch, they didn't threaten us at all.

Morecambe came out motivated in the second half, shooting towards their own fans was a bonus, and some sloppy defending enabled a free header which Chenoweth might have done better with. Morecambe begun to dominate with some good football, and with just under 20 minutes remaining, the hosts went 2 1 up. Ollie, for some reason decided to sprint out to the edge of his box and was easily chipped, very poor goalkeeping. Just as I thought it was the end, their keeper made a mistake, his very weak punch fell to darren purse, who was positioned perfectly and he cushioned his header into the empty net sending us all wild.

Good turnout of 500+ and the atmosphere very good, no atmosphere at all from home fans. GT's coach stoned after the game and we had pebbles thrown at our coach by some teenage morecambe yobs.

Chenoweth - 4
Berry - 7
Purse - 8
Blanchard - 8
Williams - 7
Young - 8
Hourihane - 4
Soukouna - 3
Hemmings - 7
Fletcher - 7
Macdonald - 7

Chadwick - 8
Lennox - 6.5

Overall, a very good day, and pleased with the result
Back to top Go down
GreenWhiteBlack

GreenWhiteBlack

PostSubject: Re: Just back from Morecambe    Just back from Morecambe  EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 12:20 am

Cheers Cobi, cant fault your committment can we! 14 hours stuck on a travel coach.. I would buy you a pint for that.... in 2/3 years Wink

We would have won if we had a full strength team out, D'you reckon?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just back from Morecambe    Just back from Morecambe  EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 12:31 am

Thankyou mate Smile

As to your question, we had two weak areas, goalkeeping and midfielding. I don't think Jake Cole would have charged out to the edge of his box when not needed, and he might have done a little better with the first goal, Chenoweth isn't the tallest or the strongest, he has no control and was bullied. Very out of his depth unfortunately. Only young though I suppose. We were also crying out for somebody in midfield, hourihane wasn't great and Soukouna was very poor, I was scared everytime he touched the ball, he gave the ball away when hardly under any pressure for their second goal, something Wotton would have dealt with easily. So yes, I think with just 2 or 3 more players we would have won, ollie, hourihane and soukouna were the weak links, the ones I expected to be in all honesty.

Also a mention to Steve Fletcher, who did very well for 90 minutes and had a stunning 40 yard volley superbly saved in the first half, it was his last game today and he was the last argyle player to leave the pitch after giving his shirt to a very small child who was allowed to enter the pitch to gain the shirt, this merited a big cheer from the fans. He's a brilliant guy.

Anyway, onwards and upwards Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just back from Morecambe    Just back from Morecambe  EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 6:17 am

Block4Green wrote:

Thankyou mate Smile

As to your question, we had two weak areas, goalkeeping and midfielding. I don't think Jake Cole would have charged out to the edge of his box when not needed, and he might have done a little better with the first goal, Chenoweth isn't the tallest or the strongest, he has no control and was bullied. Very out of his depth unfortunately. Only young though I suppose. We were also crying out for somebody in midfield, hourihane wasn't great and Soukouna was very poor, I was scared everytime he touched the ball, he gave the ball away when hardly under any pressure for their second goal, something Wotton would have dealt with easily. So yes, I think with just 2 or 3 more players we would have won, ollie, hourihane and soukouna were the weak links, the ones I expected to be in all honesty.

Also a mention to Steve Fletcher, who did very well for 90 minutes and had a stunning 40 yard volley superbly saved in the first half, it was his last game today and he was the last argyle player to leave the pitch after giving his shirt to a very small child who was allowed to enter the pitch to gain the shirt, this merited a big cheer from the fans. He's a brilliant guy.

Getting a late winner or equaliser is always brilliant when you've travelled such a long way. Makes the trip home a lot easier.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just back from Morecambe    Just back from Morecambe  EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 6:59 am

Greenjock wrote:
Block4Green wrote:

Thankyou mate Smile

Getting a late winner or equaliser is always brilliant when you've travelled such a long way. Makes the trip home a lot easier.

Not to mention 8 cans of lager but they don't allow that any-more lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just back from Morecambe    Just back from Morecambe  EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 7:07 am

punchdrunk wrote:
Greenjock wrote:
Block4Green wrote:

Thankyou mate Smile

Not to mention 8 cans of lager but they don't allow that any-more lol!

They do allow bottles of diet coke sponsored by Smirnoff though Punchy Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just back from Morecambe    Just back from Morecambe  EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 1:38 pm

Block4Green wrote:
Just got home, a very long trip, 7 hours each way.

To me, what I saw of Morecambe seemed a nice place, the seafront is lovely and the views are excellent, we found a pub called the imperial before the match which seemed ok. The ground is alright, I like the away terrace.

Thought we played really well in the first half, we dominated and controlled the entire game, we should have been out of sight but Mr Awful Soukouna somehow managed to put an open goal wide. Was a good finish from Young for our first goal. Chenoweth had to make 1 catch, they didn't threaten us at all.

Morecambe came out motivated in the second half, shooting towards their own fans was a bonus, and some sloppy defending enabled a free header which Chenoweth might have done better with. Morecambe begun to dominate with some good football, and with just under 20 minutes remaining, the hosts went 2 1 up. Ollie, for some reason decided to sprint out to the edge of his box and was easily chipped, very poor goalkeeping. Just as I thought it was the end, their keeper made a mistake, his very weak punch fell to darren purse, who was positioned perfectly and he cushioned his header into the empty net sending us all wild.

Good turnout of 500+ and the atmosphere very good, no atmosphere at all from home fans. GT's coach stoned after the game and we had pebbles thrown at our coach by some teenage morecambe yobs.

Chenoweth - 4
Berry - 7
Purse - 8
Blanchard - 8
Williams - 7
Young - 8
Hourihane - 4
Soukouna - 3
Hemmings - 7
Fletcher - 7
Macdonald - 7

Chadwick - 8
Lennox - 6.5

Overall, a very good day, and pleased with the result

Your not thinking of breaking everyones hearts by moving up to Morecambe are you ?.....before you know it there will be a collection to help you move and then you wont be able to change your mind.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just back from Morecambe    Just back from Morecambe  EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 2:58 pm

Good report cobi, glad you enjoyed it bey, a draw away with a weak team aint bad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just back from Morecambe    Just back from Morecambe  EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 4:34 pm

That was a well written report, with a good balance between objective and subjective comment. Whatever anyone says about Cobi, there's no faulting his enthusiasm - a 14 hour round trip to watch an Argyle side which has nowt to really play for, much respect Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just back from Morecambe    Just back from Morecambe  EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 6:52 pm

SufferedSince68 wrote:
Good report cobi, glad you enjoyed it bey, a draw away with a weak team aint bad.

Yeah I agree, Morecambe looked a good side in the second half, so I am pleased to come away with a draw, though I would have still said we coped well if it had ended 2 1.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just back from Morecambe    Just back from Morecambe  EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 6:54 pm

charleymouse wrote:
That was a well written report, with a good balance between objective and subjective comment. Whatever anyone says about Cobi, there's no faulting his enthusiasm - a 14 hour round trip to watch an Argyle side which has nowt to really play for, much respect Smile

Thankyou mate Smile
There was nothing to play for, but I think that made it a little more attractive for some, when we were 2 1 down, the singing and laughing was exactly the same as when we were 1 up. A really enjoyable day and match, without having to worry about the score.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just back from Morecambe    Just back from Morecambe  EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 7:22 pm

Those end of season matches where neither side has anything to play for can go either way. They can be the dullest games of the season or they can be really entertaining!;
Back to top Go down
GreenWhiteBlack

GreenWhiteBlack

PostSubject: Re: Just back from Morecambe    Just back from Morecambe  EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 7:54 pm

Congrats cobes.

Not one negative comment.

ATD, what a friendly place to be.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just back from Morecambe    Just back from Morecambe  EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 8:54 pm

Unlike Morecombe where people throw bricks at coach windows....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just back from Morecambe    Just back from Morecambe  Empty

Back to top Go down

Just back from Morecambe
Page 1 of 1