The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Schumacher addresses Argyle future of Kieran Agard

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jethro

Jethro

Schumacher addresses Argyle future of  Kieran Agard Empty
PostSubject: Schumacher addresses Argyle future of Kieran Agard   Schumacher addresses Argyle future of  Kieran Agard EmptyFri Dec 24, 2021 1:21 pm

Steven Schumacher has said the onus is on striker Kieran Agard to 'keep performing and keep scoring goals' to earn himself a new contract at Plymouth Argyle.

The 32-year-old was a free agent when he signed a short-term deal with the Pilgrims in September, and that expires next month.

Agard made only his second League One start last Saturday in the game against Charlton Athletic at Home Park and he grabbed the only goal of the game.

Prior to that, nine of his 10 league appearances for Argyle had come as a substitute and he had not scored in any of them.

However, Agard did get a goal in each of his two Papa John's Trophy starts, the 3-1 defeat by Swindon Town and the 1-1 draw with Arsenal Under-21s.

On his call-up against Charlton, Schumacher said: "I just felt Kieran deserved an opportunity. He has been a brilliant professional since he has been at the club.

"He has showed a real good attitude, he has scored goals when he has played and I just felt it was the right time to give him a chance especially with his contract ending in January.

"It wouldn't be fair for us to make a decision on him when he can honestly say 'I haven't really been given a chance Gaffer'.

"I felt he took his opportunity. His finish was great, and that's what he does. He's a good finisher.

"Hopefully in the next few games he gets a few more chances and sticks them in the net and we will assess it in January.

"There is no rush for us to make any decisions right now. Kieran knows where it's at."

Schumacher added: "You want people in your team with points to prove and things to play for. If he keeps performing and keeps scoring goals then he will make the decision easy."

Agard is among five players currently competing for the two places in the team as a striker, along with 12-goal top scorer Ryan Hardie, Luke Jephcott, the fit-again Niall Ennis and versatile Swansea City loan signing Jordon Garrick.

The latter has played a number of games up front, and netted four times, but has also been used as a wing-back, both on the left and right of the pitch.

link
Back to top Go down

Schumacher addresses Argyle future of Kieran Agard
Page 1 of 1