Czarcasm
akagreengull
Grovehill
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Grovehill

One season wonders Empty
PostSubject: One season wonders   One season wonders EmptyFri Jul 12, 2019 8:45 pm

Do people think that there's a risk that Ryan Lowe's Bury [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] aka PAFC might already be at risk of being "found out" in the footballing sense?

There are hundred's of examples of teams or players that have one good season and then fade from the scene as other teams find out how to combat either their tactics or individual players' playing styles, Leicester City being the most obvious recent example. It's clear that RL is intending to replicate the playing style of last season's successful Bury team, using a core of ex Bury players. But, as most teams and players in the Division will be more aware of what to expect, is there a risk that the tactics and individuals might not be so successful. And if that is the case, does the manager have a plan B?
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

One season wonders Empty
PostSubject: Re: One season wonders   One season wonders EmptyFri Jul 12, 2019 8:58 pm

Maybe RL can answer the above questions.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

One season wonders Empty
PostSubject: Re: One season wonders   One season wonders EmptyFri Jul 12, 2019 9:06 pm

It does make me smile, some of the people on here. I’m a miserable cnut generally, but geez, it really does seem that some refuse to glean any pleasure at all from ANYTHING Argyle related. Instead they actively look for something to moan about.

It’s got difficult for them lately. Brents gone. A new stands nearly here. Newells outta the Directors Box. Hallett is paying off old shite managers then head hunting (and  paying compo for) a manager like Lowe. We’ve just spent reasonable actual money on a player.

For me, even as a miserable Cnut, all that last paragraph falls into the ‘reasons to be cheerful’ category.

I’m far from Aviva. But if you can’t recognise and enjoy positives when they show themselves, what’s the point?
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

One season wonders Empty
PostSubject: Re: One season wonders   One season wonders EmptyFri Jul 12, 2019 9:19 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
It does make me smile, some of the people on here. I’m a miserable cnut generally, but geez, it really does seem that some refuse to glean any pleasure at all from ANYTHING Argyle related. Instead they actively look for something to moan about.

It’s got difficult for them lately. Brents gone. A new stands nearly here. Newells outta the Directors Box. Hallett is paying off old shite managers then head hunting (and  paying compo for) a manager like Lowe. We’ve just spent reasonable actual money on a player.

For me, even as a miserable Cnut, all that last paragraph falls into the ‘reasons to be cheerful’ category.

I’m far from Aviva. But if you can’t recognise and enjoy positives when they show themselves, what’s the point?

Good Post

This exactly,100%
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

One season wonders Empty
PostSubject: Re: One season wonders   One season wonders EmptyFri Jul 12, 2019 9:32 pm

Think Grove Hill has a point mind.
Bury hardly pulled up any trees and stumbled over the line.
Even with paying top dollar wages.

Lets see how many players he signs that he hasn't worked with before.

In three weeks we ll have some answers to the questions
Back to top Go down

One season wonders Empty
PostSubject: Re: One season wonders   One season wonders EmptyFri Jul 12, 2019 11:05 pm

For the first time in 7/8 years, I'm pretty optimistic about his years campaign. Saying that, I wish Lowey would mix it up a bit instead of bringing in every thing Bury FC hoping for an immediate return to LG1.

It might work, might not. I fear for the fan-base reaction to the latter.

Anyone for Stella & Fried chicken?
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

One season wonders Empty
PostSubject: Re: One season wonders   One season wonders EmptyFri Jul 12, 2019 11:24 pm

Without doubt there needs to be more additions. Adams saturated the squad with two year contracted duffers, so it could prove an expensive season wage-wise if those duffers sit tight.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

One season wonders Empty
PostSubject: Re: One season wonders   One season wonders EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 7:52 am

We basically need a new team and the remaining crap after Freddie, Ruben and Graham left need to be completely sidelined until contracts expire and play no part at all in this seasons campaign. Lowe (and hallett) need to do a lot more particularly in defence.  This is an appalling division with very little quality in any of the teams.  Four teams go up - we just have to be the least shite but many of our players are bottom 2 standard not top 4.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

One season wonders Empty
PostSubject: Re: One season wonders   One season wonders EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 8:08 am

I think Grovehill's thread is bordering on the neurotic, I guess a lot of fans will be very questioning of Lowe's abilities and tactics given his comments so far and he is unknown to the fanbase, particularly after seven years of mediocre/shite football.

Not really that difficult is it to get promoted, board and manager make a clear statement of intent, the squad is adequately funded, Lowe does his bit and the fanbase support the manager and players. For me
if we don't finish in the top four this season then the club and management have failed.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

One season wonders Empty
PostSubject: Re: One season wonders   One season wonders EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 11:29 am

I really do want a successful Argyle team. I'm just a bit concerned that RL is putting all his eggs in one basket.

Also, hiring anyone on the basis of "one good season" can be a risky strategy. I hope we've hit the jackpot and found another Malcolm Allison (hired on the back of a few good results at Bath City) but we might also have got an inexperienced manager who doesn't know what to do when things gone wrong.

What if 3-4-3 isn't working, key players lose form or get injured, fans turn against him etc. etc. ?

I just think managers are better if they have done some sort of "appenticeship" Waiters came here after working as a coach for a number of Clubs and the FA, Hodges did a couple of seasons at TUFC (and still failed) Shilton had no coaching experience (and look how that ended) I can only think of a few who have gone straight from player to successful manager without any setbacks and those that have have usually had the support of excellent and experienced coaches.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

One season wonders Empty
PostSubject: Re: One season wonders   One season wonders EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 12:12 pm

So far lowe has been talking the talk, as usual ten games in should give some kind of indicator if RL is walking the walk.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

One season wonders Empty
PostSubject: Re: One season wonders   One season wonders EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 1:20 pm

One mans realism is deemed by another as pessimism. This is just a talking shop, different fans have differing opinions always have done always will do. Me and Grovey may well be proved completely wrong. I don't think Adams turned good players into shite, he signed a lot of shite, they all had pretty mediocre past careers and yes they were shite last season. We still have nearly all those players at the back and try as I might I can't feel optimistic about that.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

One season wonders Empty
PostSubject: Re: One season wonders   One season wonders EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 6:31 pm

One point from the last three League games! The next month will tell us if RL has what it takes
Back to top Go down
Punchdrunk

Punchdrunk

One season wonders Empty
PostSubject: Re: One season wonders   One season wonders EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 6:39 pm

Grove hill has always been anti Lowe/Hallett since the parasite left us
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

One season wonders Empty
PostSubject: Re: One season wonders   One season wonders EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 6:46 pm

Now is not the time for hysterics,

If anyone really wishes Adams was still here instead of Lowe, they need to seek help.

This takes time, we got to take the rough with the smooth Lowe will sort it out,

Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

One season wonders Empty
PostSubject: Re: One season wonders   One season wonders EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 6:51 pm

Early days innit.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

One season wonders Empty
PostSubject: Re: One season wonders   One season wonders EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 7:34 pm

Punchdrunk wrote:
Grove hill has always been anti Lowe/Hallett since the parasite left us

"Always?" What 3 months?

Love to see again be successful but I've been a follower long enough to know not to make snap judgements! Hallett's only been running the club for a few months (and hasn't run a business before) Lowe is a fledgling Manager who's CV consists of one good season with a Club that ran out of money afterwards (whether he contributed to the financial issues is open to debate) Neither has the experience of successfully "weathering a storm"  at a football Club. With Lowe, it's a concern that he appears only to want to work with players he knows or are recommended by "mates" rather than scouting new talent-and the only way Argyle will thrive is by finding new talent. As for Hallett, I hope that he, like Lowe, will prove to be a success, but his is the seventh regime I've seen running the club and if they are not complete ar*eholes, they run out of cash and end up selling the club to someone even worse.

As far as this season goes, I think that either Lowe will prove himself and get Argyle promoted or he'll resign by the end of the year citing location as too big an issue. And we'll find out if Hallett has deep pockets but short arms!
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

One season wonders Empty
PostSubject: Re: One season wonders   One season wonders EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 7:44 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
One mans realism is deemed by another as pessimism. This is just a talking shop, different fans have differing opinions always have done always will do. Me and Grovey may well be proved completely wrong. I don't think Adams turned good players into shite, he signed a lot of shite, they all had pretty mediocre past careers and yes they were shite last season. We still have nearly all those players at the back and try as I might I can't feel optimistic about that.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down

One season wonders Empty
PostSubject: Re: One season wonders   One season wonders EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 9:36 pm

until he gets a solid back 3 hes going to be fire fighting.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

One season wonders Empty
PostSubject: Re: One season wonders   One season wonders EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 6:56 am

Relax chaps the Farm got this one under control......

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

One season wonders Empty
PostSubject: Re: One season wonders   One season wonders EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 7:47 am

Mr Hallett is in it for the long haul, I hope RL is too. Mid table obscurity will do for now as long as we are building the team and the club.
Bent and Adams left a big task.

Jethro

One season wonders Empty
PostSubject: Re: One season wonders   One season wonders EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 10:39 am

seadog wrote:
Mr Hallett is in it for the long haul, I hope RL is too. Mid table obscurity will do for now as long as we are building the team and the club.
Bent and Adams left a big task.

Exactly but I can see why others might be worried right now,

But you can't change 7 years of Brent over night
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

One season wonders Empty
PostSubject: Re: One season wonders   One season wonders EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 11:00 am

It is only eight games into a long 46-match League Two campaign so there is no need at this stage for any over-reaction to Plymouth Argyle stuttering start.

There are some reasons for concern, though, which Ryan Lowe is well aware of and they will need to be addressed.

They were all too obvious in the 1-0 defeat by Port Vale and cover all areas of the team.

Defensively, Argyle are conceding far too many goals from crosses into their penalty area and not dealing with them.

That is why they have lost away to Newport County, Northampton Town and now Port Vale.

None of those defeats have come as a result of the opposition carving the Pilgrims apart from some tremendous attacking play, or terrific shots from distance.

The goals they have conceded in those games have all been preventable.

Take the latest example against Vale. It came in the 76th minute when Argyle were caught out defending a free-kick.

Instead of hitting a cross into the penalty area, as the Pilgrims were expecting, David Worrall clipped the ball shorter towards Ritchie Bennett.

Bennett made an angled run across the pitch to meet the ball and then hooked it to the far post.

Argyle’s Niall Canavan was beaten to the cross by Vale defender Nathan Smith, who headed home from close range, giving ‘keeper Alex Palmer no chance.

It can only be a matter of time before defender Will Aimson, who was part of Lowe’s League Two promotion-winning squad at Bury last season, gets his chance.

He has yet to start a league game this term after a pelvic problem in the summer but is now fully fit.

However, blaming Argyle’s poor defending of crosses is too simplistic for explaining why they have won only one of their last six games in League Two.

They have issues at the top end of the pitch too, in terms of creating goalscoring chances and converting them.

Argyle had plenty of possession against Vale but in the first half their finishing was not clinical enough.

Byron Moore and Callum McFadzean had shots on target but otherwise it was all too rushed.

The Pilgrims also got into some promising attacking positions in the second half but without much in the way of end product.

Moore shot wastefully wide after Vale gifted Argyle the ball and he was released by strike partner Ryan Taylor.

There was one instance, mentioned by Lowe in his post-match Press conference, which highlighted Argyle's problem.

With the score at 0-0, Danny Mayor – who had been kicked repeatedly by Vale players in the first half – opened up the hosts’ defence with some tremendous skill.

He then did exactly what Lowe would have wanted him to by driving a low cross into the six-yard area.

It was begging for one of his team-mates to apply the finishing touch, but no-one was there, and the ball went away from the danger zone.

That moment summed up Argyle on the afternoon. They played some good football at times without ever really hurting their opponents enough.

Mayor, who did not get the protection he should have from referee Marc Edwards to Vale’s fouling of him, and McFadzean tried to get the Pilgrims going.

But, as in past matches this season, Argyle were not anywhere near as effective on the opposite side of the pitch.

So that, combined with poor defending of crosses and a lack of cutting edge up front, explains the struggles they are having.

Lowe knows all of this, of course. He can see it the same as the Green Army can. His job is to rectify the problems as soon as he can.

If there was only one issue it would be easier for him, but because there are a number of things that need to be addressed it may take some time.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

One season wonders Empty
PostSubject: Re: One season wonders   One season wonders EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 11:26 am

Yesterday's squad contained 11 players signed by Lowe, Lowe has also had a free hand in appointing coaching staff. Anyone saying the current problems are related to previous managers or owners is not facing up to the truth. Win lose or draw, this is Ryan Lowe's team-on and off the field.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

One season wonders Empty
PostSubject: Re: One season wonders   One season wonders EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 12:00 pm

Shorely Canavan, Wooton and Sawyer were already here? My main concern since the season start is that the defence that leaked eighty goals is still here. The trouble is the team was so shite that it was too much to ask to change the whole team in one go, we have improved since last season and if we address the defence we should soon start picking up points. As it is we are mid table.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

One season wonders Empty
PostSubject: Re: One season wonders   One season wonders Empty

Back to top Go down

One season wonders
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next