Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Millwall's nice gesture

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Millwall's nice gesture Empty
PostSubject: Millwall's nice gesture   Millwall's nice gesture EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 11:53 pm

launching a one-off kit to raise funds for, Headley Court rehabilitation centre in Leatherhead, Surrey — which treats injured members of our Armed Forces.

As the sun is subscription there is no point putting a link up here it is anyway but thanks to a hack i got here is the article in full.and a groovy pic

Millwall's nice gesture MILLY_2113541a

the sun wrote:
PATRIOTIC Millwall boss Ian Holloway was moved to tears recording a voice-over to advertise his club’s new camouflage kit in aid of injured troops.
Big-hearted Lions players will make history next month when they take on Brentford on Remembrance weekend wearing a one-off ‘desert fatigues’ strip.

The South Londoners will be the first English club ever to wear such Army colours, after receiving special permission from Football League chiefs.

And the club are looking to raise £20,000 for the Headley Court rehabilitation centre in Leatherhead, Surrey — which treats injured members of our Armed Forces.

Millwall will wear its name across the front of its new shirts after their regular sponsors, Euroferries, magnanimously agreed to be replaced for the Bees clash.

The Lions hope to boost Headley Court’s coffers with their new kit, which will be announced in an online advert on the club’s YouTube channel at 7am this morning.

It features footage of Lions players and fans and Headley Court patients in the historic kit.

The powerful images are then accompanied by audio of Lions boss Holloway reading John McCrae’s seminal First World War poem In Flanders Fields.

This reporter, a Millwall supporter man and boy, is not ashamed to admit that this moving ad brought tears to his eyes.

And it seems I was not the only one as the club with fans famous for singing ‘No One Likes Us’ proved beyond doubt they really do care.

Millwall commercial director Alan Williams, who has spent many months planning this, revealed: “Ian loves his club and he loves his country.

“And he was so choked as he read the poem that he just about made it to the end. He was then even more overwhelmed when he saw the final ad.

“The first edit of the ad had an old recording of the actor Richard Burton reciting In Flanders Fields.

“That was powerful but Ian’s version was just as good, if not better.

“We believe it will certainly resonate more with our supporters, who have always backed military good causes like followers of no other club I’ve ever known.”

Ollie, 51, admitted: “It is fair to say I had a lump in my throat and my eyes may have been watering.

“But this again shows what Millwall is all about and, until I came here, I didn’t realise quite how much this club reaches out to the real things in life.

“I am bursting with pride that we’re supporting Headley Court, where people who have fought for our country with such loyalty, honesty and bravery are being cared for.

“All of us at Millwall are proud to stand with them.”

Headley Court patients will be guests of honour at the Championship clash on November 8.

Millwall will be selling 1,500 of the limited edition shirts for £50 each from Monday, with £10 from each sale going to Headley Court.

Without having a pop at the trust and the club something like this with the poppy logo would have been so much better, each shirt sold a percentage goes to the RBL instead of this silly pot thing and paying the club for the pleasure.

Good to see on another note that the monumental bellend hollowords declaring his love for a club give it a few months and he'll be off as per  usual

Last edited by Angry on Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Millwall's nice gesture   Millwall's nice gesture EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 1:13 am

A good effort from Millwall, although the shirts look like they have been on an evening out with Reuben Reid.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Millwall's nice gesture   Millwall's nice gesture EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 7:39 am

Agree with you Angry, Argyle poppy was not  thought out properly  Argyle just saw the £ sign. Just Brent mentality to  screw the most money from anywhere or anyone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Millwall's nice gesture   Millwall's nice gesture EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 1:17 pm

Tgwu wrote:
Agree with you Angry, Argyle poppy was not  thought out properly  Argyle just saw the £ sign. Just Brent mentality to  screw the most money from anywhere or anyone.

Its just a shame a golden opportunity to raise great funds was missed due to greed from the club.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Millwall's nice gesture   Millwall's nice gesture EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 2:12 pm

Portsmouth have used their home shirt for the new season to pay tribute to those that lost their lives in the First World War.

To mark the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the war, the South Coast club’s new strip was designed to include the names of every member of the 14th and 15th battalions of the Hampshire Regiment, known as the ‘Pompey Pals’, that was lost during the four-year conflict.

Most of the Regiment were recruited at Fratton Park, home to the League Two outfit since 1898, and sought advice from local historian and Pompey fan Bob Beech on the best way to commemorate the fallen soldiers.

No money change hands
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Millwall's nice gesture   Millwall's nice gesture EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 2:34 pm

Tgwu wrote:
Portsmouth have used their home shirt for the new season to pay tribute to those that lost their lives in the First World War.

To mark the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the war, the South Coast club’s new strip was designed to include the names of every member of the 14th and 15th battalions of the Hampshire Regiment, known as the ‘Pompey Pals’, that was lost during the four-year conflict.

Most of the Regiment were recruited at Fratton Park, home to the League Two outfit since 1898, and sought advice from local historian and Pompey fan Bob Beech on the best way to commemorate the fallen soldiers.

No money change hands

Another great gesture there and clever how they did that with the shirt having the names woven in. Do we even know who fell in the great war from Argyle's side as i cant find anything really. GOS i thought would have something but i havent found anything unless im thick
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Millwall's nice gesture   Millwall's nice gesture EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 3:02 pm

Mods would be nice if we had a ww1 memorial thread for the local her lost they lives.
I will put my great uncle name up on the 30th of this mouth the day he was killed in t914
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Millwall's nice gesture   Millwall's nice gesture EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 3:05 pm

It would be a good for us to find out about our fallen so that we could make a similar gesture, if you saw all the men and boys from all the teams around the country it would give all the youngsters something tangible that they can relate to the sacrifice that was made by so many.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Millwall's nice gesture   Millwall's nice gesture EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 3:08 pm

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Argyle-players-served-country-Great-War/story-21309639-detail/story.html

Herald story, five Argyle players lost in the war.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Millwall's nice gesture   Millwall's nice gesture EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 3:11 pm

Also this form wiki
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Football_Battalion
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Millwall's nice gesture   Millwall's nice gesture EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 3:23 pm

Iggy wrote:
http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Argyle-players-served-country-Great-War/story-21309639-detail/story.html

Herald story, five Argyle players lost in the war.

cheers iggy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Millwall's nice gesture   Millwall's nice gesture Empty

Back to top Go down

Millwall's nice gesture
Page 1 of 1