Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread)

Go down 
+5
Flat_Track_Bully
Angry
Greenskin
Les Miserable
RegGreen
9 posters
AuthorMessage
RegGreen

Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread) Empty
PostSubject: Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread)   Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread) EmptySat Aug 19, 2023 7:58 am

Absolutely fancy us today specially at home think that could be the difference today
Got a felling this is gunna be a humdinger of game goals galore with us nicking in the end
Us 3-2 COYG
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread)   Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread) EmptySat Aug 19, 2023 8:10 am

Fraid not Reg, the curse of 'live on sky' strikes again, Bobbys garden looking resplendent for the cameras though. Argo 1 Saints 4
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread)   Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread) EmptySat Aug 19, 2023 8:35 am

Les Miserable wrote:
Fraid not Reg, the curse of 'live on sky' strikes again, Bobbys garden looking resplendent for the cameras though. Argo 1 Saints 4
don’t know what would be worse that result or bobs garden
Les I don’t mind us losing it as and long as we try to put in a performance and not completely embarrass ourself in front of the whole nation
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread)   Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread) EmptySat Aug 19, 2023 8:50 am

Not sure what to think of this one. Saints have lost a lot of high quality players since they outclassed Wednesday and don't appear to have signed too many replacements,so that should be to Argyle's advantage but having said that opportunities are there for their fringe players to make a name for themselves. Can't really come to any logical conclusion so i'll give Argyle a 2-1 win in the name of loyalty and wishful thinking, should be an interesting game in any case.

Randell,Waine
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread)   Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread) EmptySat Aug 19, 2023 9:02 am

you would have thought by now the club would have bought a tarp and had a sponsor's logo all over it to cover that garden so it doesnt look like a dump.

hoping for a good game not sire what to expect from southampton as they are in rebuild mode and came down with a awful squad minus a few wh have already left. Plus their home kit is vile just stick to stripes those are your colours saints not have bold have stripes.
get at them from the start set the tempo and i think we should win this all going well.
Back to top Go down
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

PostSubject: Re: Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread)   Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread) EmptySat Aug 19, 2023 2:56 pm

Rare chance to watch Argyle on the Idiot box, although had to switch pubs in the second half as the landlord switched to the racing on ITV4!!! Evil or Very Mad (I live up North)

Two goals we conceded were defensive errors, but I know we are dodgy in defence. Not sure why Pleguezuelo isn't being given a game - will expect him to be starting the next match. More disappointed with us going forward. Too often a potentially incisive pass was whiffed, often under little pressure. Goal was decent but relied on a slip from their left back and their CDs going to sleep.

We need some height in the team, especially as an option up front (so do Southampton, apart from Scarr not sure there was a 6fter on the pitch other than the GKs).

Apart from Kesler-Hayden not sure the loanees are going to have the same impact they had last season. It'll be tough but if we can get a target man in think we'll be OK.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/
Graiser

Graiser

PostSubject: Re: Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread)   Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread) EmptySat Aug 19, 2023 3:35 pm

Watching that I don’t think we have too much to worry about this season
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread)   Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread) EmptySat Aug 19, 2023 4:22 pm

tough loss to swallow but overall i dont think we did too bad certainly did enough to take away a point which i think would have been a fair result all round. We will learn lessons from the last minute winner for sure as there are areas of our game we still need to work on. Goalie made some good saves but his distribution and ball at his feet are worrying and need alot of work especially when we come up against bigger teams away from home. Im not sold on our new formation 4-3-3 i dont think its as effective as last season formation and Mumba excelled in that hes not as prolific as a forward imo hes better in the wingback role imo. not that he played badly thats not what im saying just i think hes better there overlapping the wide forward/winger.

we did well to hit southampton back after they scored their first goal which Hardie finished well... needs to work on his diving having seen the tv replays now in the stadium it looked like a stonewall penalty.
Overall there are lots of postitves we can take from this game despite the result we where in the game from the start if we where more potent in our attacks in this formation we could have won it we defended well and we will learn as i said already we will learn from that last minute winner for southampton which is a nice way for che adams to say goodbye as he will be off very soon to everton.

we need that striker with pace we need that talisman defender in a 3 man defence but to end im not worried if we can push on from this with lessons learned and worked on we will be fine.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread)   Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread) EmptySat Aug 19, 2023 4:56 pm

I'm wondering if Shoe-e is afraid to play 3 centre backs in case one gets injured and he's forced to change formation ?
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread)   Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread) EmptySat Aug 19, 2023 5:21 pm

Grovehill wrote:
I'm wondering if Shoe-e is afraid to play 3 centre backs in case one gets injured and he's forced to change formation ?

im all for having more than one tactic being used by a manager if he has the players who can adapt to that but for me while 4-3-3 hasnt been a diaster i just feel its not working as good as the 3-2-2-2-1 did. i think there is some truth in what you said we have 5 defenders and 2 pick up injuries often so probably wise to not play 3 incase another gets injured as pleg hasnt been featuring much if at all this season so far.

Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread)   Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread) EmptySat Aug 19, 2023 5:31 pm

Tbh i thought they done enough for a draw they need to learn how to see out games we had nine players in and around the six yard box I counted that weren’t including hazzard
Ahh yes Hazzard done a couple good saves but his footwork & his distribution is something to be desired looks very nervy
But if that performance was anythink to go by we’re stay up ..it’s the games against the so called lesser teams we normally struggle with and just hope they can get motivated for them games as well
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread)   Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread) EmptySat Aug 19, 2023 5:36 pm

Grovehill wrote:
whatever it is we knew we were gunna be short at the back when shoe e didn’t bring a defender at the start of the season
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread)   Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread) EmptySat Aug 19, 2023 5:37 pm

Surprised Randell not in the team. Even first half, Southampton had loads of the ball but didn't do much with it-can't remember Hazard having too much to do. Argyle looked lively going forward but time and again were wasteful with either the final pass/cross or first touch, Azaz looks to be a shadow of the creative, crisp passing player before he got injured. Second half a different story, thought Southampton went a bit more direct at times and no surprise when they went ahead with an excellently placed shot from Tella. Great response from Argyle though and Whittaker took advantage of a slip by the full back to set up Hardie to convert at the near post. Disappointing that Argyle failed to really impose themselves and Southampton took control essentially for the rest of the match with the crossbar being rattled and Hazard making a top class save, although Whittaker did hit the post from a narrow angle on one of Argyle's rare forays forward. Ironically, for all their possession, it was an old fashioned corner that won the match for them-Adams converting at the far post after Hazard could only parry a header. Sickener but imho a true reflection of the match, others would disagree.

Must admit to being a bit worried about the ability of some of our players to get the ball under immediate control and have the composure to use it well at this standard.For perspective it could be said that their team is packed with players who cost a lot of money and they should be better in comparison but not sure how good Southampton really are at the moment, doubtless they will spend some of their incoming transfer money to strengthen further. It will be another severe test at a resurgent Birmingham next week and Argyle will certainly need to improve in a lot of areas in order to get a result from St Andrews. Hopefully there will be an incoming this week as an option upfront to act as an outlet for when the passing across the back goes astray, which it does too often for comfort.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread)   Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread) EmptySat Aug 19, 2023 8:39 pm

got to add to my review now i have seen all the highlights

cundle should have done better and picked up their 11 for their first goal but the overall defending wasnt good for that goal and the second agaon poor marking and why was a striker like adams left alone like that.

i beg schuey to bring in another defender before the window closes aswell as a pacey striker.
Back to top Go down
Graiser

Graiser

PostSubject: Re: Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread)   Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread) EmptySat Aug 19, 2023 10:48 pm

Angry wrote:

cundle should have done better and picked up their 11 for their first goal but the overall defending wasnt good for that goal and the second agaon poor marking and why was a striker like adams left alone like that.

i beg schuey to bring in another defender before the window closes aswell as a pacey striker.

There was a decent defender on the bench, the Spanish guy, I think Hazard should have parried that ball upwards not down
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread)   Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread) EmptySun Aug 20, 2023 12:56 am

Graiser wrote:
Angry wrote:

There was a decent defender on the bench, the Spanish guy, I think Hazard should have parried that ball upwards not down

there seems to be some kind of issue with him no idea what doesnt seem to be injured as he hasnt featured much so far this season bar the league cup.... We need more than just him in anycase this is a long season
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread)   Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread) EmptySun Aug 20, 2023 8:45 am

Got to get a grip on the passing and losing possession.   And Schuey et al need to get on with recruiting a forward, a creative CM and a CB before the window shuts. Pleased for Hardie though 2 goals in 3 games - seems to adjusting to this level well.  Southampton are only one of the many really tough oppositions we'll face this season but I still think we'll finish above the bottom 3 - but only just.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread)   Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread) EmptySun Aug 20, 2023 8:32 pm

Freathy wrote:
Got to get a grip on the passing and losing possession.   And Schuey et al need to get on with recruiting a forward, a creative CM and a CB before the window shuts. Pleased for Hardie though 2 goals in 3 games - seems to adjusting to this level well.  Southampton are only one of the many really tough oppositions we'll face this season but I still think we'll finish above the bottom 3 - but only just.

Too right !!.

There are some good sides in this division and most have graced the Premier League at one stage. Those clubs either fall into

1) pile on severe debt trying to get back there - with all the financial suicides that goes with that

2) falling to pieces while rebuilding trying to get back there

3) going to pot severely and
relegation.

4) walk the league, warts and all

Argyle should just enjoy the experience of playing in this tough division and learn how its played. I agree that Argyle will just about stay up and I am sticking with my 21st finish position.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread)   Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread) EmptySun Aug 20, 2023 9:24 pm

Don Goodman at the end of the match on the Sky broadcast said that Argyle are a very good championship team and will finish in the top 10.

Hope he's right

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread)   Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread) Empty

Back to top Go down

Oh when the greens go marching in (soton match thread)
Page 1 of 1